Caribou Gear Tarp

Belated Honeymoon to Italy

MtnElk

My wife and I officially got married in December, but we'd been all but married up until that point. We had an aging dog who has now passed, and decided to put off a honeymoon at such time that we could travel without worrying too much about our lab and whether she might get sick or die while we were gone. Couple that with the fact that I have at least 3 hunts this fall, potentially 4 if a buddy draws Wyoming and if I hit one of the raffles I am in... well let's just say @Big Fin has warned us about not treating the wife to vacations as well.

She's made several comments over the last several months that she doesn't understand why I am sitting on a ton of miles and never using them, and how she has never been to Europe...so I decided to cash them in for 2 first class tickets to Rome for our anniversary this year. I told her last night and she practically had a heart attack - but as I told @Dsnow9 last night, I think I am in the black for a while with the wife when it comes to hunting 🤣

That said, I really really need any suggestions people have for Florence, Naples, Rome as it comes to food, drink, sights, etc. My wife loves art, so I know we need at least 2 days in Florence for all that, but beyond that, my knowledge of Italy stops as "I am going to eat all the pasta after 3 straights months of hunting"

So if anyone has any sage wisdom or recommendations, hit me with them.

Paestum and Pompeii are reachable by train out of Naples. Both are neat stops. Pizza in Naples is the best youll ever have.

Rome is my favorite city Ive visited. My wife has dragged me there once, then the next two visits I went willingly! There area around the Spanish Steps is a good central base - the Vatican and Colosseum/Forum are about equidistant and easy walks.

My wife has been to Florence, but I never have.

Ive also spent a bunchve time in Val d'Aosta, Molise, Amalfi Coast, and the Veneto region (including Venice).

Youre in for a treat!

Rome is full of sights and art, Florence is well worth the stop as well.
If I never set sight on Venice again I'm perfectly fine with that. Full of tourists even by European standards.
I'd love to spend some time on the Italian coast some day, but haven't made it there yet.
The north of Italy is beautiful where it starts to climb for the Alps. So much to see, but alas, it all comes down to time and money.
Have fun

If you're in Florence take a day trip or an overnight to Siena! It's a beautiful little walled city with an incredible Piaza. Also I broke my tooth while there and was fixed up by an incredibly handsome Italian dentist. Ah memories 🥰

No help from me, but that's a classy move. Nice work.
Well the point creep / miles inflation pushed me to do this now... in 2016 as a family we pooled all our points and flew my mom and us to London from Chicago on business class (mom has some mobility issues). The amount it cost in 2016 to do that for 4 people was only slightly more than it took for us to fly 2 people to Rome. They just don't go as far as they used to.

The Vatican tour is way worth it. The Sistine Chapel is simply amazing, and the major sights are super cool. The food was amazing everywhere we went. Watch out for pickpockets. I saw several people get tagged by numerous groups of teen looking gypsies. Just be aware and have fun.

Sistine Chapel to see the art for sure.
These skip the line tickets you can buy ahead of time are well worth it. I think they are relatively new, but in the past if one didnt show up within an hour (or 30 minutes preferably) of opening or wait until later in the afternoon then youd spend a long, long time standing in a line. Just purchased them on a recent trip and was amazed.

Try to keep an Italian schedule - activities in the morning, 3-5 course lunch, nap (if you need it!), then more activities in the afternoon/early evening, light dinner (PIZZA!). They close everything mid day anyway, so why not?

Well the point creep / miles inflation pushed me to do this now...

Those pandemic miles were incredible even better than pre-pandemic... I flew round trip to AK from MA for like ~20k miles, then in 2022 20k miles barely got you half off on a one way.

Mile inflation is crazy, almost has me considering just dropping my AK card.

Those pandemic miles were incredible even better than pre-pandemic... I flew round trip to AK from MA for like ~20k miles, then in 2022 20k miles barely got you half off on a one way.

Mile inflation is crazy, almost has me considering just dropping my AK card.
Exactly. So that is part of this also, my client base has changed and there is less travel than ever (3-4 trips a year max compared to pre 2020 levels of 10-12 a year), so the mileage cards aren't exactly a good investment for me anymore. We are dropping the personal card, but keeping the business one as it helps me have a slim chance of holding onto status even in light travel years, plus other travel perks when I do have to fly

If I never set sight on Venice again I'm perfectly fine with that. Full of tourists even by European standards.
What time of year are you planning to go? Venice is a marvelous place, but concur that it's an utter nightmare for 3-4 months of the year.

If you can go between October and early April, it borders on magical. Some of my most memorable 'meals' are 'pub crawling' to various Cichetti pubs (little finger foods and stuff-on-a-stick. Like Venetian Tapas). However, last time I was there (Late June 5-6 years ago) it was the worst and I vowed never to go back. Simply walking a few blocks can take 30 minutes.

Some other great tips above. All I'd add is if you do go towards Venice, the Adriatic coast from there to Trieste is pretty overlooked and very cool.
Pizza in Naples is the best youll ever have.
This needs emphasis.

But if you are in a rental car, park it outside of town down there. Driving in Naples is no joke. I'd put it up there with India and mainland China in level of "Nope"

What time of year are you planning to go? Venice is a marvelous place, but concur that it's an utter nightmare for 3-4 months of the year.

If you can go between October and early April, it borders on magical. Some of my most memorable 'meals' are 'pub crawling' to various Cichetti pubs (little finger foods and stuff-on-a-stick. Like Venetian Tapas). However, last time I was there (Late June 5-6 years ago) it was the worst and I vowed never to go back. Simply walking a few blocks can take 30 minutes.

Some other great tips above. All I'd add is if you do go towards Venice, the Adriatic coast from there to Trieste is pretty overlooked and very cool.

This needs emphasis.

But if you are in a rental car, park it outside of town down there. Driving in Naples is no joke. I'd put it up there with India and mainland China in level of "Nope"
we are going in early December! Wife loves Christmas and my mom used to live in Italy and said December is awesome there: lower tourist numbers, Christmas decorations, easy to get into stuff, etc

My wife and I went to Italy this past summer for our honeymoon. If your wife enjoys hiking at all, I'd recommend a trip to Lake Como. My wife isn't big on hiking but I told her I didn't care what we did in Italy as long as I got to spend one day hiking a peak. She complained the whole way to the top but she was glad we did it afterwards. You could probably spend a lifetime hiking in that area and not see everything. There's little towns around the lake that you can stay at and tons of history in that valley. There's old castles and bunkers that were built into the sides of the mountains during WWII. It's worth checking out if you want to get away from some tourists.

Lake Como.jpg
EDIT- Just saw that you're going in December, so probably no hiking in December.

Like others have mentioned, the Sistine Chapel is a must see. In Florence take your wife to a restaurant that overlooks the Arno River. If you go at 5-7pm you'll have the place mostly to yourself since they don't start dinner until much later. Most of the coastal parts of Italy are amazing as well. Your wife will most likely love it so much and want to go back. We'll be doing our 3rd Italy trip next month. Enjoy!

Well done on the surprise for your wife. Memories will last forever. We've been lucky enough to go to Italy several times.
Rome is dirtier and hotter than you expect. That said, it is also wonderful. The Vatican, even as a non-Catholic, is inspiring, beautiful, and Amazing. The Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, and the Spanish Steps are all worth a visit.

For hotel: https://www.hotelpontesisto.it/en/
and resturant: https://www.osteriapontesisto.it/. You will not be sorry.

Florence is very special. Climb the Duomo, walk the Leather Market, visit the Accademia Gallery, and see Michaelangelo's David. Shop the Ponte Vecchio and then walk to the Boboli Garden.

Everywhere you go in Italy, eat pizza and gelato, drink wine, and keep your wallet in your front pocket. Keep your head on a swivel when crossing streets, Vespas are like locusts, traffic is hectic, and rules of the road are more like suggestions...

I haven't been to Naples, so I've got nothing for you there.

Don't sleep on the Cinque Terre. Yes, it's overrun w/ tourists, but it's overrun for a reason.

Congratulations on the wedding and have a great time.

+1 on Cinque Terra. You'll hit city highlights, museums, etc in Rome, Florence, Venice.

Cinque Terra is a special place and was far and away my favorite part of Italy (but it's been two decades since I was there)

Hope y'all have a great trip

Back