Yeti GOBOX Collection

Jarbidge Nevada Elk

Thesteeleboy

Well my Elk hunt started today and I'm still in Utah until Saturday. I drew the unit 72-74 Jarbidge late bull tag and cant wait to get there. I plan to hunt all of it I can {except } the wilderness portion. My health will no longer allow it. Having never been there I'll have my work cut out for me, Hopefully some of you younger tougher men or fowl weather will have something ran out of the wilderness and into some lower, more accessible country for us older broke down guy's. If anyone has pictures of any Jarbidge bull's from this year please share, I'm looking forward to looking over what I have been told is some beautiful country with my boy, my brother and nephew. Wish me luck guy's, I'm going to need it to be successful on this hunt but I can't wait to get there.

Last edited:
Wouldn't want that hunt. Elk will most likely be in the wilderness. Was up there in October. Elk were in Telegraph area. Tough pack out of there.

I made it home { without } an elk but had a good time. I did see a couple smaller bull's but it was a tough hunt. With my 16 NR Elk points gone, that will be my last trip to Nevada hunting Elk but I had a great time. When someone tells you the Elk don't come out of the wilderness they're not kidding. I was told in Jarbidge, Idaho shot and killed 400 Elk from a helicopter last year due to crop damage and destruction of fences by the Jarbidge Elk. The Mule deer population in the area is sad to say the least. I'm not saying a big buck or two don't live there, but the population is so depleted something should be done. Jarbidge is a beautiful place to hunt and I enjoyed every minute of it but would I use up 16 NR points to do it again? { no } am I glad I had the experience { you bet }.

I made it home { without } an elk but had a good time. I did see a couple smaller bull's but it was a tough hunt. With my 16 NR Elk points gone, that will be my last trip to Nevada hunting Elk but I had a great time. When someone tells you the Elk don't come out of the wilderness they're not kidding. I was told in Jarbidge, Idaho shot and killed 400 Elk from a helicopter last year due to crop damage and destruction of fences by the Jarbidge Elk. The Mule deer population in the area is sad to say the least. I'm not saying a big buck or two don't live there, but the population is so depleted something should be done. Jarbidge is a beautiful place to hunt and I enjoyed every minute of it but would I use up 16 NR points to do it again? { no } am I glad I had the experience { you bet }.
I beg to differ. There are lots of elk and deer in the Jarbidge area. Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. They just are not not usually found where just anyone in poor health can get to them. They aren't all found only in the wilderness area either.
It always amazes me when someone has a less that stellar hunt after going in with high expectations that they blame it on lack of game.
How do you know that the game population is depleted if you've never been there before?
You simply had a tough hunt because you couldn't hunt the rougher terrain.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. There are lots of elk and deer in the Jarbidge area. Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. They just are not not usually found where just anyone in poor health can get to them. They aren't all found only in the wilderness area either.
It always amazes me when someone has a less that stellar hunt after going in with high expectations that they blame it on lack of game.
How do you know that the game population is depleted if you've never been there before?
I sure didn't mean to make you mad. Go check out the success rates on the Game and Fish website for those three units, then compare those numbers to year's of long ago and then tell us how great these units are doing. The numbers don't lie

If you don’t have anything nice to say…..

Maybe next time just log out...

The population in there is definitely down.
I recall a podcast with a nevada g&f employee claiming that Idaho is "doing too good of a job controlling the population that migrates across the border". The following year I was told by multuple credible sources that Idaho was killing hundreds of NV elk on the winter grounds. Southern Idaho used to have 1000s of NV elk during the winter. Now not so much.
Keep in mind things may have changed from when you were last there.

I sure didn't mean to make you mad. Go check out the success rates on the Game and Fish website for those three units, then compare those numbers to year's of long ago and then tell us how great these units are doing. The numbers don't lie
Oh I'm not mad at all. What I'm saying is that if you had stumbled upon a roadside bull and filled your tag you would have a completely different outlook.

The population in there is definitely down.
I recall a podcast with a nevada g&f employee claiming that Idaho is "doing too good of a job controlling the population that migrates across the border". The following year I was told by multuple credible sources that Idaho was killing hundreds of NV elk on the winter grounds. Southern Idaho used to have 1000s of NV elk during the winter. Now not so much.
Keep in mind things may have changed from when you were last there.
Thank's for the support Elkmagnent. Anyone that think's the Mule deer population in those three unit's is delusional. The units surrounding the Jarbidge wilderness are beautiful winter range and capable of supporting far more Mule deer than they currently have in my opinion and that's what it is { my opinion }. It unfortunately seems to be the trend in most of the western states. I currently have { I think } 16 points in Nevada for Deer, unfortunitly that leaves me having to put in for easier to draw unit's. Wish me luck and Thank's

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back