Ok you east coast SOB's give up them honey holes

Don’t overlook NJ. Lots of guys from New England come down this way for the deer hunting. Typically much higher densities of whitetails here and very long seasons. If you’re interested, I’ll send you some tips.
Don't discount this.

If you have the free time, you can come to NJ and hunt a ton of public land, smaller patches maybe, but they literally will all have some deer. From Sept to February, essentially unlimited does in many places , and including about 6 bucks, using bow, muzzleloader, shotgun, crossbow. The turkey hunting in the east is good, as is duck hunting. bear hunting is available in many places too (but not on public in NJ this past year or probably anytime soon.... politics!). I'd hunt bear right across the river in PA if I was you, they swim or wade back and forth and get BIG. I imagine that ruffed grouse hunting can be good to the north or west. Grouse are all but gone further south/east. Rabbit hunting can also be very good in brushy field habitats if you have got access to a beagle, tough but doable without. Pheasant are put and take mostly and at least in NJ, it has gone WAY downhill the past few years due to poor habitat management and closing down / outsourcing of the state's game farm.

I am afraid you WILL have to develop some strategies for deer ticks (and dog ticks, but those are mostly just annoying and easier to detect). a lot of checking yourself each 1/2 day at least. Don't take it for granted, you will regret it if you do. But keep in mind there are thousands of other hunters who have figured out how to manage it. Thousands (like me) who have gotten Lyme too.......

There are good trout fishing opportunities up and down the east coast, try upper Delaware area in NY, excellent salmon and steelhead fishing in upstate NY, great surf fishing in NE, charter boat opportunities for inshore or offshore, etc, etc. I am from the east and would sooner move out west if I could, but it's not like there are not plenty of things to do in the east. Sometimes it just takes a little more patience with some of the extra people you have to deal with around you and a little more effort to make it happen to your liking. Think smaller and be more crafty and you will find plenty of opportunity.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Not sure how expensive, but I recommend hunting the big woods of upstate NY and central Maine. I went to college in Maine, and the hunting can be excellent once you find the spots. Whitey, Black Bear, and Moose to be found aplenty.

Big whitey in NY. Had a good buddy stationed at Ft. Drum. It's good.

Don't discount this.

If you have the free time, you can come to NJ and hunt a ton of public land, smaller patches maybe, but they literally will all have some deer. From Sept to February, essentially unlimited does in many places , and including about 6 bucks, using bow, muzzleloader, shotgun, crossbow. The turkey hunting in the east is good, as is duck hunting. bear hunting is available in many places too (but not on public in NJ this past year or probably anytime soon.... politics!). I'd hunt bear right across the river in PA if I was you, they swim or wade back and forth and get BIG. I imagine that ruffed grouse hunting can be good to the north or west. Grouse are all but gone further south/east. Rabbit hunting can also be very good in brushy field habitats if you have got access to a beagle, tough but doable without. Pheasant are put and take mostly and at least in NJ, it has gone WAY downhill the past few years due to poor habitat management and closing down / outsourcing of the state's game farm.

I am afraid you WILL have to develop some strategies for deer ticks (and dog ticks, but those are mostly just annoying and easier to detect). a lot of checking yourself each 1/2 day at least. Don't take it for granted, you will regret it if you do. But keep in mind there are thousands of other hunters who have figured out how to manage it. Thousands (like me) who have gotten Lyme too......

There are good trout fishing opportunities up and down the east coast, try upper Delaware area in NY, excellent salmon and steelhead fishing in upstate NY, great surf fishing in NE, charter boat opportunities for inshore or offshore, etc, etc. I am from the east and would sooner move out west if I could, but it's not like there are not plenty of things to do in the east. Sometimes it just takes a little more patience with some of the extra people you have to deal with around you and a little more effort to make it happen to your liking. Think smaller and be more crafty and you will find plenty of opportunity.

Good luck!
IIRC Rinella has stated that some areas of NY state that 80% of the ticks are carriers of Lyme's. Permethrin is your friend. Cheaper to buy it from the farm store, dilute it, than to buy the premixed stuff. I'm personally more scared of tick born sickness than any other critter related issue. Give me grizzlies over ticks!

IIRC Rinella has stated that some areas of NY state that 80% of the ticks are carriers of Lyme's. Permethrin is your friend. Cheaper to buy it from the farm store, dilute it, than to buy the premixed stuff. I'm personally more scared of tick born sickness than any other critter related issue. Give me grizzlies over ticks!
I’ve been using permethrin for 5 years... definitely the way to go.

Jeffery's Ledge to catch a Monsta!

Honestly Boston seems like a hard sell from an outdoor perspective. But as an IT guy, I would definelty do a couple of years there, if only to eat my way through the city.

Made a deal with my wife when we were 17 that if we stayed together we would always support each other’s dreams and never hold the other person back.

Also, my salary ain’t buying sheep hunts.

Amazing the stupid crap we say as teenage boys just to see a neked girl😉

Back