Ok you east coast SOB's give up them honey holes

AvidIndoorsman

Wife and I are blowing this popsicle stand and moving to Boston in June.

Where should I be tossing apps, I've been applying for moose in NH for the last couple years... obviously that's a pipe dream.

Honestly excited to try out some new hunting/fishing styles. Would love to try out some tree stand whitetail hunting.

I don't have any private land connections back east, therefore I'm assuming NH is the best close option followed by PA, NY, and WV?

I know that some states are kinda problematic when it comes to "western style hunting" i.e. quartering a deer in the field and packing it out. I know for instance that NH doesn't have rules that address that on the books. Are there states that have more "western" style rules, or do I just need to embrace the the change and get prepared for long drags and check stations?

Gus is pretty excited for some squirrel hunting... anything else I should be thinking about, sea ducks?

Last edited:
Congrats that is exciting. No knowledge to contribute.

Are you going to continue working in the greatest and most fantastic field of technology filled with the earth's most interesting people?

If you weren't going to be a yankee I might help. Seriously though, not much experience up that way. I do know that many states that are behind the times in pack-out laws are looking at changing things up to make it legal. If you want some really rugged terrain for this side of the country, come down to NC in Pisgah or Nantahala NF where there's some beautiful wilderness. That's a haul from Boston though.

BOSTON.................. Park your car and we will paarrttyy . What in the world are you doing going to BOSTON. Maine has some great black bear fall hunts. Good luck

I think I'd rank your states differently depending on style of hunting and driving distance. I think I would also add in eastern Md. Are you truly wanting tree stand type hunting or big woods type still hunting/tracking. Also swampy coastal areas, rolling hills, or mountain (eastern) deer is a debate. Farm land gets thrown into the debate and may Trump all others if you get the opportunity wherever. Many things to think about.

Riding my wife's coattails, she got a OIL job op.
Congrats to you both.

My only experience out that way was in Vermont turkey hunting (and ample brewery stops) a few years ago. I will say that the NE Kingdom region of that state (and across the border in NH) is fantastic country.

At least in VT, you'll want to brush up on the land access regulations. Very strange for Westerners, but at the end of the day a lot of private is available via their 'must post land' regs.

I've always thought tracking Whitetails in the deep snows of Maine or Northern New York could be fun. Maine moose would be close to you. WV sure has some isolated country with lots of nice deer. The Mon national forest has miles of country to roam in WV.

Congrats to you both.

My only experience out that way was in Vermont turkey hunting (and ample brewery stops) a few years ago. I will say that the NE Kingdom region of that state (and across the border in NH) is fantastic country.

At least in VT, you'll want to brush up on the land access regulations. Very strange for Westerners, but at the end of the day a lot of private is available via their 'must post land' regs.

I went to college in VT, so it's my old stomping grounds... but I didn't hunt in college so it will be looking at the state from a new lens.

Definitely excited to get up to NE Kingdom and drink a couple pints at Hill Farmstead and Kingdom brewery.

Last edited:
I think I'd rank your states differently depending on style of hunting and driving distance. I think I would also add in eastern Md. Are you truly wanting tree stand type hunting or big woods type still hunting/tracking. Also swampy coastal areas, rolling hills, or mountain (eastern) deer is a debate. Farm land gets thrown into the debate and may Trump all others if you get the opportunity wherever. Many things to think about.

Honestly, I really want to try everything out. We likely wont be there for long so I would love to dabble in as much as possible. There are tons of cool things out east that have been on my radar for a while.

So far the bucket list is in no particular order

1. Legit small game hunt, squirrels and birds
2. Big woods whitetail
3. Tree stand whitetail (totally fine with a doe, just want to try it out)
4. Sika deer
5. Blue water fishing
6. Bear over bait with a stick bow (I have 4 bears spot and stalk out west, would love to see what a bait hunt is all about)
7. Sea ducks from a kayak or packraft

Maine has some good hunting, and you could also go after Sika in Chesapeake Bay area. Hope all goes well with the move.

6. Bear over bait with a stick bow (I have 4 bears spot and stalk out west, would love to see what a bait hunt is all about)
Guy that I used on my turkey hunt is primarily a Bear outfitter In both NH and VT. Happy to share his info if you need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back