Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ok you east coast SOB's give up them honey holes

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
On public land are you guys using climbing stands and packing them in?
Again, I'm in the SE so take this for what it's worth. But I haven't hunted from a stand on public land in two years. I still do on private, but I swapped out my tree stand for a pack and haven't looked back at all. Depending on population densities and restrictions, you may not be able to use a center fire rifle from the ground though, so check the regs.

I can only speak for PA & NY:

Grew up in PA still go back every year to hunt with my dad: it's a changing place but lots of opportunities. depending on age & desires they are putting bear in with a lot of the deer seasons so worth spending the extra $36 on a bear tag. early they now have a muzzleloader season for bear, traditional bear season and now bear with a lot of the rifle deer season (might kill off the traditional bear only season leading up to thanksgiving) they have been doing antler restrictions for quite a few years and it is paying off big time. I haven't shot a buck since they came into place but i've seen some nice ones in bear season and this year saw an outstanding buck coming back through the drive as we were pushing another outstanding buck to my dad. also apply for the elk points in PA if you want a different experience, low odds but PA & KY have elk seasons I think other states have elk just not enough for a season yet

NY: split into northern & southern tier I live in the northern tier. lots of turkeys around the farm good population of deer, extremely generous rifle deer season in the north, southern zone gets a bit crazier from the sounds of it, not sure if that is deer density or what. adirondacks have some bruiser bucks but they can be hard to pattern, northern zone bear opens in september

i think both states have ample opportunities, big game, small game, waterfowl i'm sure there is some good in PA just not as much where I grew up, where I am in NY my in-laws have friends that come up and even bring a few guys out of maryland to hunt the ducks/geese, both states stock pheasants PA requires an extra tag but still inexpensive

if you have any specific questions feel free to reach out

I can only speak for PA & NY:

Grew up in PA still go back every year to hunt with my dad: it's a changing place but lots of opportunities. depending on age & desires they are putting bear in with a lot of the deer seasons so worth spending the extra $36 on a bear tag. early they now have a muzzleloader season for bear, traditional bear season and now bear with a lot of the rifle deer season (might kill off the traditional bear only season leading up to thanksgiving) they have been doing antler restrictions for quite a few years and it is paying off big time. I haven't shot a buck since they came into place but i've seen some nice ones in bear season and this year saw an outstanding buck coming back through the drive as we were pushing another outstanding buck to my dad. also apply for the elk points in PA if you want a different experience, low odds but PA & KY have elk seasons I think other states have elk just not enough for a season yet

NY: split into northern & southern tier I live in the northern tier. lots of turkeys around the farm good population of deer, extremely generous rifle deer season in the north, southern zone gets a bit crazier from the sounds of it, not sure if that is deer density or what. adirondacks have some bruiser bucks but they can be hard to pattern, northern zone bear opens in september

i think both states have ample opportunities, big game, small game, waterfowl i'm sure there is some good in PA just not as much where I grew up, where I am in NY my in-laws have friends that come up and even bring a few guys out of maryland to hunt the ducks/geese, both states stock pheasants PA requires an extra tag but still inexpensive

if you have any specific questions feel free to reach out

Appreciate all the info. I'm definitely interested in getting into the Adirondacks. Probably pass on elk, just because I've been able to hunt elk a bunch and I would feel a little guilty if I did pull a tag.

I am enjoying the idea of longer seasons, it will be fun figuring this stuff out.

New York allows you to quarter in the field. Maine does not. I'm unsure about New Hampshire. There's lots of beautiful backcountry in those states, but it's not easy hunting. On the bright side, you can pretty much get any deer tag you want, whenever you want and it willl be cheap. Feel free to PM me if you're heading to NY and want more specific info.

New York allows you to quarter in the field. Maine does not. I'm unsure about New Hampshire. There's lots of beautiful backcountry in those states, but it's not easy hunting. On the bright side, you can pretty much get any deer tag you want, whenever you want and it willl be cheap. Feel free to PM me if you're heading to NY and want more specific info.
One other upside to northern NY is a gun season that starts in mid-October and goes until mid-December. And you automatically get a bear tag along with your deer tag.

Born in Michigan but raised in Massachusetts. Man...you got blinders on.
I wouldnt move back there for any amount of money.
But better than you moving to Montana. Haha
Turkey hunting, stripers, paddleboarding with Great Whites. Have fun driving around there.
Secret: a guy killed a 200 class whitetail in the Western part of the state near where I was raised.
Everyone in charge of their own destiny.
Good luck!

Born in Michigan but raised in Massachusetts. Man...you got blinders on.
I wouldnt move back there for any amount of money.
But better than you moving to Montana. Haha
Turkey hunting, stripers, paddleboarding with Great Whites. Have fun driving around there.
Secret: a guy killed a 200 class whitetail in the Western part of the state near where I was raised.
Everyone in charge of their own destiny.
Good luck!

Turkey hunting AND strippers if that doesn’t make for a fresh tracks episode with @JohnCushman for the password section of HT I don’t know what does.

Had a great 3 years in Montana, we might head back that way in a bit, though I’ve got my sights on AK. Guess we will see what the next 5-6 years yield.

Turkey hunting AND strippers if that doesn’t make for a fresh tracks episode with @JohnCushman for the password section of HT I don’t know what does.

Had a great 3 years in Montana, we might head back that way in a bit, though I’ve got my sights on AK. Guess we will see what the next 5-6 years yield.

Mostly private land hunting but if you are nice I will clue you in to some public land hunts in the Bay state.

Made a deal with my wife when we were 17 that if we stayed together we would always support each other’s dreams and never hold the other person back.

Also, my salary ain’t buying sheep hunts.
That's a good promise! I'd look into sika deer!

I spent about 2 months in that region. If I were in your situation I would prioritize the following for hunts:

1. Ruffed grouse and woodcock in MA
2. ME trout fishing. From experience: places you have to hike in a couple miles can offer spectacular fishing...just have a plan to escape biting insects.
3. Spring and fall turkey. ME or maybe NJ, or MA if you have access somewhere.
4. NY rifle WT. Very unique country. Might be worth finding access on private land somehow.
5. Bear, but not sure where to go. 2010-2018 NJ would be my pick but now you can’t hunt them on public anymore.

I spent about 2 months in that region. If I were in your situation I would prioritize the following for hunts:

1. Ruffed grouse and woodcock in MA
2. ME trout fishing. From experience: places you have to hike in a couple miles can offer spectacular fishing...just have a plan to escape biting insects.
3. Spring and fall turkey. ME or maybe NJ, or MA if you have access somewhere.
4. NY rifle WT. Very unique country. Might be worth finding access on private land somehow.
5. Bear, but not sure where to go. 2010-2018 NJ would be my pick but now you can’t hunt them on public anymore.

Boom! Love it.

If I was picking one state and I was near Boston, I'd pick ME. Obviously moose, but tracking big woods bucks, grouse, snowshoe hares, bear by bait, world class small mouth and brook trout. It's little sister NH is pretty cool too.

Hard to beat MD for waterfowl and Sika.

PA would give you some different options for deer as would NY.

If I was picking one state and I was near Boston, I'd pick ME. Obviously moose, but tracking big woods bucks, grouse, snowshoe hares, bear by bait, world class small mouth and brook trout. It's little sister NH is pretty cool too.

Hard to beat MD for waterfowl and Sika.

PA would give you some different options for deer as would NY.

What is whitetail hunting like down in VA/West VA?

What is whitetail hunting like down in VA/West VA?

Depending on which Virginia county you are hunting, residents can take more than a handful (up to 7 IIRC) of whitetails a year. As a general rule, these deer tend to be on the smaller body size.

My brother has hunted Virginia military posts successfully for deer, and says he sees turkeys regularly also.

Wife and I are blowing this popsicle stand and moving to Boston in June.

Well, heck, we're sorry to lose you, and Saudi Aurora will be an even sorrier place without a guy like you classing it up @wllm1313! When you decide to come crawling back the door to CO will always be open...unless you move to Texas first, then you can't come back here...

Last edited:
...and I'd check out the Sika hunting around the Chesapeake, been trying to plan a trip with my brother who lives in Maryland, it's sounds like a lot of fun!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back