Ok you east coast SOB's give up them honey holes

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Wife and I are blowing this popsicle stand and moving to Boston in June.

Where should I be tossing apps, I've been apply for moose in NH for the last couple years... obviously that's a pipe dream.

Honestly excited to try out some new hunting/fishing styles. Would love to try out some tree stand whitetail hunting.

I don't have any private land connections back east, therefore I'm assuming NH is the best close option followed by PA, NY, and WV?

I know that some states are kinda problematic when it comes to "western style hunting" i.e. quartering a deer in the field and packing it out. I know for instance that NH doesn't have rules that address that on the books. Are there states that have more "western" style rules, or do I just need to embrace the the change and get prepared for long drags and check stations?

Gus is pretty excited for some squirrel hunting... anything else I should be thinking about, sea ducks?
OMG why? It's only money man! Get a hold of yourself!

Hell of a time to be headed east good luck to you on your new adventures man!

You can camp for a bit at red house in the Allegheny state park in NY. Hunt big woods whitetail. It's a tough challenging hunt patterning those WT in the big woods but alot of fun. Focus on saddles and scout out from there. I have lots of other info I can share with ya when I'm not hard at the grindstone.

Made a deal with my wife when we were 17 that if we stayed together we would always support each other’s dreams and never hold the other person back.

Also, my salary ain’t buying sheep hunts.
While I 100% support that as a general stance in marriage, there are limits. If her dreams involved big* dudes, no clothes, and you holding a camcorder are you still game to support her dreams? I mean you're talkin' Boston, east coast elitism, unbearable humidity, a state with a highest point of under 4k feet, more than 1 person per acre density, and only 5% is public land.

east coast elitism

Have you read my posts... that's like my brand

I went to a snobby school back east and loved it.

East coast gets a bad rap, lots of folks doing some badass stuff outside out there. Biggest mistake I made in college, was constantly comparing VT to CO instead of just embracing the differences. Sure there aren't mountains, but the biking is f-ing rad never-the-less.

My favorite film from Banff (this is just the trailer)

Guess I'm lucky my wife's ambition is career related ;)

To be fair this didn't just crop up I have know the goal for years, since before we were married...also as a dude if I got her job no one would question the move.

Anyway, since I'm stuck at home anyway guess I have no excuse but to dive into east coast hunting regs!

There used to be some cool spots on state forest on the eastern shore of MD. Not huge tracts, but I didn't see many people either. WV and VA have some cool state and NF? to hunt as well.

Have fun with the ticks!

Don’t overlook NJ. Lots of guys from New England come down this way for the deer hunting. Typically much higher densities of whitetails here and very long seasons. If you’re interested, I’ll send you some tips.

Don’t overlook NJ. Lots of guys from New England come down this way for the deer hunting. Typically much higher densities of whitetails here and very long seasons. If you’re interested, I’ll send you some tips.

On public land are you guys using climbing stands and packing them in?

You can quarter and pack out in PA. You have to attach the tag to the ear and carry out the head. Some CWD areas have special drop offs locations to have the heads tested. Also some pretty decent size chunks of state forest land that you can camp. They are free to camp as long as you get a permit. Pretty simple to do. State parks charge a fee and most are geared more towards RV and car camping. A lot of PA guys go up to New York to shoot a second buck. No experience doing that myself.

Tree stand archery hunting is a lot of fun because you bank on your pre season scouting and patterning to pay off when you commit to one or two spots for the day during the rut. I spend most of my time in the stand second guessing...

Back