Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Ok you east coast SOB's give up them honey holes

I'm not sure about every state park but a lot of them allow camping at designated camping areas within them. When I was searching for state parks for a winter hunt last year I only found a couple in the western part of MA that allowed winter camping. I'm not sure if any of that has changed due to covid restrictions.
Good tip. I found some text that said you may not camp without permission of the direction of the WMA.... seems one might be able to write some emails and get permission to do a bivy hunt.

I assume this is to dissuade vagrancy?

I never had to worry about that when I lived in NY. It was like 30 minutes from my front door to my hunting spot. Yeah the rural motels/hotels get a lot of there revenue from hunters.

I have a buddy in VT and some cousins in upstate NY so I can probably work something out... but sleeping in the dirt is kinda part of the experience right ?

East coast folks... so camping is basically illegal in MA?

I found some places I want to scout, but you can't camp in state parks, WMA, WCE, wildlife refuges ect. Also lots of the state parks and WMAs say you can be in the woods after dark.

So... WTF? Do you just get hotels or drive 4 hours each way when you go to hunt?

... Clarification there are camp grounds that you can make reservations at some places, but you basically can't dispersed camp in the state ?
There are all kinds of little things you will find that answer your earlier question about why the east coasters bother to come west ;)

I found some places I want to scout, but you can't camp in state parks, WMA, WCE, wildlife refuges ect. Also lots of the state parks and WMAs say you can be in the woods after dark.
Yep tons of limitations and regulations regarding where you can camp in the east. Mostly it's just in designated campgrounds, but there are some exceptions (e.g., along the AT, but even that has some restrictions). I would imagine further north, like Maine, it's probably less restrictive.

That's one of the many reasons why I really love hunting out west; being able to camp just about anywhere makes me feel truly free.

Just purchased my first east coast big game tag....

2 deer tags for a NR at $100 and I get to tack on a bear for $5... starting to understand why you NR get so fired up about western tag costs lol.

Basically bought every tag and endorsement for less than I spent on CO resident preference points this year 😂
Pick up a small game license and you can hunt squirrels while you are scouting for deer.

Pick up a small game license and you can hunt squirrels while you are scouting for deer.
"A valid Massachusetts non-resident license is required for all non-resident anglers and hunters ages 15 and older. A Big Game License is required of all non-residents to hunt deer, bear, and wild turkey and allows for hunting of small game." (y)

Looks like @DouglasR and I might need to take our SG packs and mossbergs on a walk through the woods next time he's driving through these parts

So... WTF? Do you just get hotels or drive 4 hours each way when you go to hunt?

... Clarification there are camp grounds that you can make reservations at some places, but you basically can't dispersed camp in the state ?
No way you're finding out that the east coast isn't all peaches and cream? Who'da guessed.

Wife and I are blowing this popsicle stand and moving to Boston in June.

Where should I be tossing apps, I've been applying for moose in NH for the last couple years... obviously that's a pipe dream.

Honestly excited to try out some new hunting/fishing styles. Would love to try out some tree stand whitetail hunting.

I don't have any private land connections back east, therefore I'm assuming NH is the best close option followed by PA, NY, and WV?

I know that some states are kinda problematic when it comes to "western style hunting" i.e. quartering a deer in the field and packing it out. I know for instance that NH doesn't have rules that address that on the books. Are there states that have more "western" style rules, or do I just need to embrace the the change and get prepared for long drags and check stations?

Gus is pretty excited for some squirrel hunting... anything else I should be thinking about, sea ducks?

East Coast hunting should be good. Some places have so many deer they're being overrun by them. Better learn some vocab; you should start with "That's wicked smaht!"

I ordered milk at a roadside dive in Mexico once. The guy brought me a beer. I drank it, thought he didn’t understand me, tried again. He brought another beer, sat it on the table, pronounced it “leche”, and walked away. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Congrats wllm! I love hunting whitetails and turkeys here in the east, but there’s something about elk bugles and the country out west that puts out a strong pull.
Yes, the first time I went to a bar in Tijuana, my friends and I each ordered a beer. The waiter came back with a giant bucket full of coronas and literally a dozen shots of tequila. The only thing I remember about getting back across the border that night was that I stopped to eat about 6 churros on the way...

MA camping - Any of the AT shelters, and dispersed camping along the length of the AT, but not including some municipal property, state parks, national monuments, etc. Also, they come and go, but usually there are a couple of hostels along the trail where you can stay for a small fee. That covers the western edge of the state through the Berkshires, but I don’t know about anything E of that.

Sorry, I can't help. What I can say is that if you feel like coming up here, most state land in the Adirondacks is open to camping anywhere as long as you're 150 ft from trails, roads, or water. If you find yourself missing the west, the Adirondacks might be as close as you can get in the NE. The Whites are cool too, though a lot smaller in area and with alot more trails all over the place.

Sorry, I can't help. What I can say is that if you feel like coming up here, most state land in the Adirondacks is open to camping anywhere as long as you're 150 ft from trails, roads, or water. If you find yourself missing the west, the Adirondacks might be as close as you can get in the NE. The Whites are cool too, though a lot smaller in area and with alot more trails all over the place.
Thats good to know... MA isn't a big deal... would just suck to drive 5 hours to NY and then find a full campground. Appreciate all the info on east coast logistics.

Just purchased my first east coast big game tag....

2 deer tags for a NR at $100 and I get to tack on a bear for $5... starting to understand why you NR get so fired up about western tag costs lol.

Basically bought every tag and endorsement for less than I spent on CO resident preference points this year 😂
Non residents pay more to build points in Wyoming than Non residents pay to buy a tags in most eastern states

Back