Officially a pit bull hater

Dinkshooters constant bragging is really getting to me.

Wouldn't life be great if we could all afford straw bales and maintain indoor plumbing during the winter months.

About a month ago there was a triple homicide (drug related) not too far from where I live. There was a young child and an infant that survived the murders along with almost 100 pit bulls that were used in a dog fighting ring. Besides the obvious heinous nature of the crime the thing that pisses me off the most was that the media seemed to care a whole hell of a lot more about what happened to the damn dogs that the well being of the two children. There have been plenty of reports both in the broadcast news and print about the "rehabbing" of the dogs and how many of them have found adoptions. Hell, there was even a call for donations to help the dogs, but I can't recall one story about what happened to or how to help out the kids. As far as I'm concerned they should have put down all the dogs at the crime scene.

Reading through the deaths over the last year at least 2 of the deaths were healthy young adults who had recently adopted pit bulls or were temporarily housing pit bulls waiting for them to be adopted. Seems like an animal shelter might have some liability issues if they are letting people adopt such dangerous animals.

Stinking pitbulls!
th

What I've found to be very disturbing with pit bulls is they are very difficult to read in terms of body language. The local blue heeler is easy to read when he's about to nail you. Not so with the pits I've encountered. The appeared to be in that neverland of playfulness or kill you, and you have no idea which way they are leaning.

I was working a night shift one night, when I had my first encounter with a pit. While I was running some folks for warrants, their pit came up and jumped in me in a manner such that I couldn't tell if it was an aggressive dog, or just one with no manners. I pushed it away, and it did it again. I kneed it away once, and then really hard the third time. As the dog came back towards me I pulled my pistol and told the owner I'd shoot it if it came towards me again. The idiot owner restrained it fortunately, as he was whining about how mean I was.

I am now MUCH less tolerant of pits, because in hindsight I realized I was playing with fire.

Well done Fin!!! The world is a better place because of people like you...who don't stand around as "cheerleaders" when the crap hits the fan! Too bad you couldn't have killed all three of the dogs...next time it could be someones child! I am enraged and at the same time thankful that there are still good people in the world.

Here is recent incident from my neck of the woods -

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2013/05/valley_womans_dog_shot_by_fore.php

'Liska's pitbull was not on a leash at the time, which is against the law. But Liska says her dog has never bit anyone, and a day earlier, kids from the adjacent camping spot ran to her site to play with Trax."

"I HEARD [the officer] say, 'Call your dog back,'" Williams says, "But before anyone could do anything he'd pulled his gun."

"The officer drew his gun, backed up, and shot Liska's dog near the left nostril. (A report from the MCSO, which investigated the incident, says they found a tooth and blood trail three feet from where the officer stood who fired his gun.) The bullet shattered most of the dog's jaw, and he went into the tent, bleeding, and finally passed out."

"Liska and Williams both disagree with the officer's report that says Trax lunged at the officer, which they say would be unlikely behavior for him."

So she didn't see the dog lunge at the officer, she just assumed he would never do that. Then she files a claim against the FS for the vet bills and is also raising money online for the bills.

Talk about a lack of personal responsibilty. This would not have happened if she followed the county/state laws and forest service regulation that require dogs to be secured on a 6ft leash.

Big Fin, good on you for intervening, sounds like about as good of an outcome as you can expect for that situation! BUT, you have completely ruined my image of Montanans, no sidearms or gun-slinging, cmon now!? ;)

if it was me,you would hear click,BOOM,and then another click,BOOM,followed by one more click,BOOM,and all three of the 158 grain jhp bullets from my 357 would of ended those pit bulls.
then i would still have two bullets left to pursuade the owners of now dead pit bulls to take a leave with there dead dogs.:D

A very controversial breed. Assuming I will get lit up for this but whatever. Pits have a very noble history of servitude protecting fire departments that shouldn't be forgotten. Yes, you can make strong cases as to why they should be wiped clean from existence. I could make the same for breds such as chesapeakes. Unfortunetly shady individuals are drawn to breds like pits, any Vick fans. Those same individuals then see breeding mutt quality dogs to make a few bucks as a viable option. It's a downward spiral from there. If you bred animals, which I do, you will understand that bloodlines play a key role in not only in physical characteristics but mental aptitude and disposition as well. The blame must lay with shitty owners/breeders but unfortunetly it will not. Dare I draw comparisons between firearms owners. Do we say screw it and scrape the breds/ firearms that a few bad apples have tanted. Or do we call bullshit and attack and hold responsible those that need it.

I walk my GSP at the local dog park everyday, rain or shine. A few years ago we went into the fenced in area. As soon as the gate close these two pits come charging my shorthair. He tucks in behind me and the pits stopped charging. I could see a guy sitting on the picnic table watching and kinda giggling. Then a couple of minutes later, here they come again, this time they got him surrounded and they are closing in on him. I asked the guy at the table, "Are these your f***** dogs." He said "yep what are you going to do about it". I said "call them off or I will shoot them". He got up from the table, started towards me and said, " you wont shoot my dogs but I will kick your ass". So I opened my coat and he got a peak of my Glock 32 357 Sig hanging in the holster. He grabbed his dogs and left. Haven't seen him or his POS dogs since. I also moved from the 357 Sig to the 10mm for my dog park carry.

Awesome job Big Fin! Heard it mentioned on another thread and looked it up. It truly is a shame you didn't have a bat or steel rod. But then again you would probably been arrested. I completely agree with not trusting those animals. They lock eyes with people like a wolf does, and don't look away. You can look into those wild eyed freeks and see the crazy. Job well done!

Guy whipped out a handgun and blew a pit away that was attacking his dog in Missoula a little while ago. mtmuley

Yeah, too bad the pit bull is becoming a fad now with younger kids. I see a lot of 20-somethings with pit bulls walking around Sheridan. A lot of them aren't on leashes which freaks me out when I have my daughter with me. I've ran into several on the local trail as well. I have to hold both of my dogs back just in case. They should be illegal or have mandatory restraints when in public at all times.

I don't buy the most loving, most gentle dog bull crap. I don't ever hear of any other breed attacking or wounding humans or other dogs. Not to say pit bulls are the only breed but more so than others.

After reading this old thread it has me somewhat concerned on those 5 AM runs with my brittany in the morning... I wonder if I should be packing something, even some bear spray...

Back