Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

NR’s chance to put $ where our mouths are

D_Walt

With all the tag cuts in the West this year it seems that us Non-Residents have an opportunity to put our money where our mouths are and make a donation to a wildlife department or organization in a state that you won’t draw a tag in this year. Seems like a reasonable thing to do, some of you might have a better notion of the most effective ways to donate, thoughts?

I made all the same donations and actually applied to more states with absolutely no intention of drawing a tag. So I’m already buying a Hunting license or paying application fees in a state that I most likely will never step foot in this year.

I’ll play devils advocate here. Why would I is a nonresident of 49 states make donations to states that are making it harder and more expensive for me to draw a tag and have a hunting opportunity. Western states have made it very clear that they are going to maximize their profits off of non residents.

I feel like using NR money for hiring lobbyists in DC to advocate on your behalf would be more effective than donations to miscellaneous wildlife agencies hoping they would suddenly grow a soft spot.

Edit: Where you read "DC", think "state capital". I'm well aware that states manage wildlife. A typo

Last edited:
I feel like using NR money for hiring lobbyists in DC to advocate on your behalf would be more effective than donations to miscellaneous wildlife agencies hoping they would suddenly grow a soft spot.

I agree 100%.

I'm not donating.

I feel that I am already being ripped off by these greedy state agencies (who I am paying 10X or more for a license than a resident).

I and other NRs already contribute more than our fair share when we buy points, licenses, application fees, stamps and all the other nonsense that is required to hunt out of state.

When the agencies start holding to a level playing field and stop moving the NR goalposts to pacify the residents, and when they start showing some fiscal responsibility by using the funds to actually help wildlife instead of pushing wolf agendas, maybe then NR's could be more empathetic to their financial shortfalls.

I agree 100%.

I'm not donating.

I feel that I am already being ripped off by these greedy state agencies (who I am paying 10X or more for a license than a resident).

I and other NRs already contribute more than our fair share when we buy points, licenses, application fees, stamps and all the other nonsense that is required to hunt out of state.

When the agencies start holding to a level playing field and stop moving the NR goalposts to pacify the residents, and when they start showing some fiscal responsibility by using the funds to actually help wildlife instead of pushing wolf agendas, maybe then NR's could be more empathetic to their financial shortfalls.
If I were you I wouldn't apply anymore.

Not asking anyone to grow a soft spot, I’m just saying perhaps since most claim to care about the resource we should be willing to contribute to recovery efforts and participate at least monetarily in the recovery, rather than show up in 6 or 7 years with a tag and entitled to kill a critter.

I’m not so cynical as to think all of these state Wildlife Departments are “all about the money”, but like every entity, they damn sure will have consequences and reduced effectiveness when cash flows drop significantly. Collectively, as NR’s we constantly fly the flag of “we pay your Game Department’s budget!” But what about when the resource needs help and the expensive NR tags are cut? Do you think that depleted wildlife populations and a lack of funding for management will push states towards increasing NR tag allocations?

I agree 100%.

I'm not donating.

But these poor residents need rewarded for living on vacation 😢

I see your point but I would counter that most of the decisions that affect wildlife conservation and hunting specifically are made at the state level. DC gets a lot of news coverage but most action is at the state level.

I also hate to see non resident opportunities diminished but I really don’t think these state agencies have such ill-intent.

Last edited:
Great idea, spend money to lobby DC on state controlled wildlife issues.

Do you hire a plumber to fix your car?
I see your point but I would counter that most of the decisions that affect wildlife conservation and hunting specifically are made at the state level. DC gets a lot of news coverage but most action is at the state level.

I also hate to see non resident opportunities diminished but I really don’t think these state agencies have such ill-intent.
Point taken, my post should have said to lobby at "state capital" than "DC".

I make the same donations no matter if I am drawing a tag or not. In fact I bet I spend as much on donations, applications and licenses yearly as would on a really good spring bear hunt in Canada every year. Granted I am bowhunting a few places every year anyway. I think it’s fair to say that it’s not all altruistic on my part as I am with a planning for the future and hoping for some luck in the present.
I can definitely commiserate with both sides of this argument because I think that’s valid points in both camps.

Another point needs to be made is throwing money at this even the solution? We have been tossing money at conservation in record amount, and I don’t really see any tag increases, population increases etc. etc. in anything but whitetails

For example, WSF putting sheep on the mountain. You show me where all the money that’s gone into that organization has put more sheep tags anywhere but on their auction block?

Last edited:
To the OP, you may view tag/application fees as a “donation” to justify it in your own mind (or your spouse) but to me it really isn’t a donation. Donations are something I can claim on my taxes, different category. For tag applications I am just trying to get as many “irons in the fire” as possible for some of those premier or OIL tags. Long term play. If you are donating to wildlife and/or hunting organizations, I would definitely be asking the question “How are you or have you put more animals on the landscape?” I would also look at what projects, advocacy, or investments are in your state or the state you prefer to hunt.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colt97
Back