MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

South Dakota 100/0 on NR Rocky BHS tags? Why not 1 NR?

232401a

SD - where is your NR BHS tag allocation? 10 tags, but all RES only?

Again this year, SD residents are keeping all 10 Rocky BHS tags for themselves? Why?

SD keeps 100% of east river deer tags for residents. And you were SO vocal in early 2023 about uncapped NR archery deer tags in west river. NRs were taking the vast majority of west river archery deer (~120 deer/year) and you were so mad.

You successfully lobbied the commission for NR archery deer caps in west river. But you forgot to talk to your commission about having 10 ram tags for many years and not sharing 10% with NRs.

10 * 10% = 1.

Aside, good job Nevada for re-opening your NR Mountain Goat hunt code for 1 NR tag. NV realized that 2023 was the second year of >10 RES goat tags (summing up ALL units), and did the right thing.

2023bhsheep.pdf (sd.gov)

Where is “South Dakota Bowhunter Incorporated” when we need them?
State caps non-resident archery licenses on public land - South Dakota Searchlight

I see no problem with this. ND keeps 100% of their big 3 for residents. I can’t imagine any resident hunter in any state would want to give up 1 of their 10 total sheep permits to a non res. Non resident hunting opportunities are great, but they are a privilege and not owed to anyone.

I see no problem with this. ND keeps 100% of their big 3 for residents. I can’t imagine any resident hunter in any state would want to give up 1 of their 10 total sheep permits to a non res. Non resident hunting opportunities are great, but they are a privilege and not owed to anyone.

Nonresidents are eligible for the Bighorn tags in ND, just a high application cost versus odds. Though it is probably not to bad of a cost/odds compared to WY now.

Nonresidents are eligible for the Bighorn tags in ND, just a high application cost versus odds. Though it is probably not to bad of a cost/odds compared to WY now.
Are you sure. I was pretty sure non res can’t apply for moose, elk, and sheep there, but I could be wrong in some part.

You can hunt in SD if you want to buy the auction tag for around $100,000. They don’t have one available this year because a disease hit that hurd. The rest should be available for us that live here.

$100 for about 1 in 4,000 odds. Only another $500 though for the tag if you draw.

We also don't let NR in the elk draw in SD. I as a resident already have terrible draw odds for elk or sheep. Giving 10% to NR will make the wait even longer for residents that'll piss off most of them and make another overpriced long awaited tag. There's a reason why most of us head out of state for otc tags because it's a 10 plus year wait then a 8 year probation. East River deer numbers have been down since the glory years that was 20 years ago and with people take out more habitat I wouldn't hold my breath of it ever coming back. I don't blame any state for cutting NR tags if the population is down, sounds like some should.

SD - where is your NR BHS tag allocation? 10 tags, but all RES only?

Again this year, SD residents are keeping all 10 Rocky BHS tags for themselves? Why?

SD keeps 100% of east river deer tags for residents. And you were SO vocal in early 2023 about uncapped NR archery deer tags in west river. NRs were taking the vast majority of west river archery deer (~120 deer/year) and you were so mad.

You successfully lobbied the commission for NR archery deer caps in west river. But you forgot to talk to your commission about having 10 ram tags for many years and not sharing 10% with NRs.

10 * 10% = 1.

Aside, good job Nevada for re-opening your NR Mountain Goat hunt code for 1 NR tag. NV realized that 2023 was the second year of >10 RES goat tags (summing up ALL units), and did the right thing.

2023bhsheep.pdf (sd.gov)

Where is “South Dakota Bowhunter Incorporated” when we need them?
State caps non-resident archery licenses on public land - South Dakota Searchlight
With the residents, where they belong.

in 2022, there were seven tags. And over 5000 applications. The GFP Commission isn't to keen on pissing off those other 4993 hunters.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back