Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

South Dakota (NR) Archery Information

Growing pains to the push of western hunting. Hopefully South Dakota stays on top of it.
Luckily, SD isn’t for everyone. It’s Elk are for residents only. A 150” mulie, if you ever draw, is considered big. The Black Hills, while gorgeous, aren’t enough to pull people from the Rocky mountain range. Per usual, pheasants are the main attraction.

Luckily, SD isn’t for everyone. It’s Elk are for residents only. A 150” mulie, if you ever draw, is considered big. The Black Hills, while gorgeous, aren’t enough to pull people from the Rocky mountain range. Per usual, pheasants are the main attraction.
I’ve hunted there but I won’t tell your secrets.

Exactly. If I wanted a Mulie that was big, the black hills isn't where I'd hope to punch my tag. They're in there, but not nearly like the other western states.

Exactly. If I wanted a Mulie that was big, the black hills isn't where I'd hope to punch my tag. They're in there, but not nearly like the other western states.
Building points in CO and WY for that.

Putting limits on a guaranteed $250 archery mule deer tag with massive amounts of public lands to hunt? What a bunch of jerks.

Putting limits on a guaranteed $250 archery mule deer tag with massive amounts of public lands to hunt? What a bunch of jerks.
Let’s keep the passive aggressive comments to a minimum. We are adults.

Gets old hearing people constantly bash South Dakota for trying protect their resource. And how do you know I'm an adult?
Problem is, I don’t think they are trying to protect their RESource and much as they are appeasing RESident complaints. If there was a mandatory 100% compliance game registration, I’d keep my mouth shut. When there is a gap in the numbers, even as sound as they probably are, I can’t help but feel like it’s only a small step away to ballot box management.

Hey y'all! So I've gone over a ton of literature on SD's Game, Fish and Park website along with quite a few other threads and forums. Correct me if I'm wrong but is South Dakota's NR Archery (any) Deer tags true OTC? Can you choose either West River, East River or State wide? And do draws only apply for rifle and special units?

I'm trying to plan an archery mule deer hunt and I've been going back and forth trying to determine the best OTC state. Not basing it on trophy deer but rather ease of draw(or no draw), terrain features(plains and prairies), public land access, hunting pressure(I'm coming from the NE so this isn't a concern for me) and lastly, mule population and density.

After much deliberation and research I've decided on South Dakota as my go to state. I've been told to focus on the NW side of the state around Butte, Lawrence and Harding Counties. The fringes of the Black Hills and some areas along the Cheyenne river. As mentioned on my previous (Nebraska and CO) threads, I'm not looking for honey holes or secret locations. But rather any information anyone may have on these specific units. Or any other units near this location.

To be honest if I manage to glass a few I'd consider this a success as it'll be my first DIY solo Mule Deer hunt.

Looking to learn, looking for the experience. And if along the way I manage to harvest then that'll be great too!

Thanks in advance!

This is the exact boat I’m in thanks for the info!

Hey y'all! So I've gone over a ton of literature on SD's Game, Fish and Park website along with quite a few other threads and forums. Correct me if I'm wrong but is South Dakota's NR Archery (any) Deer tags true OTC? Can you choose either West River, East River or State wide? And do draws only apply for rifle and special units?

I'm trying to plan an archery mule deer hunt and I've been going back and forth trying to determine the best OTC state. Not basing it on trophy deer but rather ease of draw(or no draw), terrain features(plains and prairies), public land access, hunting pressure(I'm coming from the NE so this isn't a concern for me) and lastly, mule population and density.

After much deliberation and research I've decided on South Dakota as my go to state. I've been told to focus on the NW side of the state around Butte, Lawrence and Harding Counties. The fringes of the Black Hills and some areas along the Cheyenne river. As mentioned on my previous (Nebraska and CO) threads, I'm not looking for honey holes or secret locations. But rather any information anyone may have on these specific units. Or any other units near this location.

To be honest if I manage to glass a few I'd consider this a success as it'll be my first DIY solo Mule Deer hunt.

Looking to learn, looking for the experience. And if along the way I manage to harvest then that'll be great too!

Thanks in advance!

I am new to the forum I don’t think I can post my own stuff yet, but I drew an NR archery east river tag for this year I am looking I am going to be out there in oct since I don’t have private land to hunt question is the Aberdeen Hecla area decent I am trying to hunt close to the border cause I also drew a ND NR archery any deer tag.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back