South Dakota (NR) Archery Information

Hey y'all! So I've gone over a ton of literature on SD's Game, Fish and Park website along with quite a few other threads and forums. Correct me if I'm wrong but is South Dakota's NR Archery (any) Deer tags true OTC? Can you choose either West River, East River or State wide? And do draws only apply for rifle and special units?

I'm trying to plan an archery mule deer hunt and I've been going back and forth trying to determine the best OTC state. Not basing it on trophy deer but rather ease of draw(or no draw), terrain features(plains and prairies), public land access, hunting pressure(I'm coming from the NE so this isn't a concern for me) and lastly, mule population and density.

After much deliberation and research I've decided on South Dakota as my go to state. I've been told to focus on the NW side of the state around Butte, Lawrence and Harding Counties. The fringes of the Black Hills and some areas along the Cheyenne river. As mentioned on my previous (Nebraska and CO) threads, I'm not looking for honey holes or secret locations. But rather any information anyone may have on these specific units. Or any other units near this location.

To be honest if I manage to glass a few I'd consider this a success as it'll be my first DIY solo Mule Deer hunt.

Looking to learn, looking for the experience. And if along the way I manage to harvest then that'll be great too!

Thanks in advance!

I hunted there last year and CWD is creeping in on the prairies and northern Hills. Two of my buddy’s deer tested positive without showing any signs! PM sent

It might take points to get the 35L access permit. You can check that in the draw statistics. It is not OTC. You need to apply. Dont miss the deadline if you intend to hunt public land. Good luck.

You can get a West River archery AND an East River archery tag OR a Statewide Archery tag.
SD is a beautiful and diverse place to hunt. You will need to apply by April 1st, so it’s not a true OTC state, but it’s guaranteed if you put in by that date.
Trophy potential is there for muley, but moreso for whitetail. I’ve seen some absolute giant whitetails out there. Muleys can be pretty good, most 130-140.

Whats the camping situation in or around the Public Land/Walk-In Access area in Harding and Butte county? Are there any permits needed? And is there a maximum amount of days that you can be in one spot?

The SDGFP online atlas should show the campgrounds in that area. They will probably list the rules and regs to. I noticed a lakeside access area for camping Between Buffalo and Camp crook. Wow, that road was washboard city. Had to drive real fast to get a smooth ride.

You can get a West River archery AND an East River archery tag OR a Statewide Archery tag.
SD is a beautiful and diverse place to hunt. You will need to apply by April 1st, so it’s not a true OTC state, but it’s guaranteed if you put in by that date.
Trophy potential is there for muley, but moreso for whitetail. I’ve seen some absolute giant whitetails out there. Muleys can be pretty good, most 130-140.

This is correct.

Not true OTC but you'll get a tag.

Did South Dakota go to a lottery system for nonresident archery this year? Looking at the DNR website it says the “draw has not run”. Precious years it was a guaranteed draw.

It’s always been a “draw” but guaranteed. Now they make you apply by April 1 as a nonresident if you want to hunt public land. They just haven’t issued tags yet

Has anyone seen the numbers from last year? As far as how many nr archery deer hunters applied early or moved on from what was considered by many (myself included) a great fall back plan.

Whats the camping situation in or around the Public Land/Walk-In Access area in Harding and Butte county? Are there any permits needed? And is there a maximum amount of days that you can be in one spot?
picnic springs in north cave hills is nice never been to reva gap in slim buttes.

The Reva Gap campground is a nice place to stay and centrally located albeit not very close to alot of good public hunting unless you have the 35L access permit.

What I see as a problem with a cap for NR is that in the future it will be applied to residents and that will lead to draws which may be someday lumped in with rifle tags. Yikes, do not want that but you can bet there is a whole camp of people that think that would be a good idea. Maybe last year was skewed by covid or the people who missed out in 2020 wanted to make sure they didnt make the same mistake twice. Be nice to see the 2019 numbers as well. This is our third year of a newer rifle tag draw system and they will evaluate what has transpired and probably make changes. ( The only thing constant is change ). I have never got excited about velvet and I'm not really a fan of early sept. hunts unless its elk but we all have our likes.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back