South Dakota 100/0 on NR Rocky BHS tags? Why not 1 NR?

What did you expect from a state that makes non residents draw a waterfowl permit?
Waterfowl has become essentially OTC. If you can't draw it every year, you're unlucky or don't know what your doing.
Wish they'd restrict it more. One of the last places where outfitters haven't run a complete muck and leased up every piece of ground. It's going the way of the dodo, but it's one of the only places you can find a feed, knock on a door, and have a once in a lifetime hunt, a couple times a week.

Waterfowl has become essentially OTC. If you can't draw it every year, you're unlucky or don't know what your doing.
Wish they'd restrict it more. One of the last places where outfitters haven't run a complete muck and leased up every piece of ground. It's going the way of the dodo, but it's one of the only places you can find a feed, knock on a door, and have a once in a lifetime hunt, a couple times a week.
Man that's good to know. All my buddies and I will be heading out there. Waterfowl is our favorite.Thanks for the info!

In the early 1900's every stinking mudhole was leased up by fat cats from out east. Thats where the limit on NR waterfowlers started. Now the commission that has some new members appointed by our great gov is leaning very heavily in the commercialization of wildlife model. In 2023 NR east river landowners can get a guaranteed tag if they own enough acres. That will certainly shut more locals out. I was hunting in a rural county(there are a few around) and the friend who I was hunting with was explaining the population shift when the ag practices didnt require as many families. The amount of people in local towns dropped off to a third of what they were. I asked what did they do with all the houses? The NR's bought them. Now some of them have acquired lease rights and start guiding services which all have an impact on the average Joe who keeps losing opportunities. And you wonder why we tire of some of this? Are these the golden years or have they already passed ? We make the best of what we can and try to slow down the things that do not make it better for us. Selfish? Hell yes. When you all get outpriced on your leases by bigger pockets, you might look at things differently.

Back