NRA, YEH or NEY ?

Moosie

Grand poopa
City of New Orleans, Mayor Ray Nagin
Once Again Found in Contempt of Court

District Court Judge to City Attorney:
Conduct "wholly unprofessional"

The National Rifle Association (NRA) and law abiding gun owners have won yet another victory this morning against New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and former police chief Warren Riley.
\Judge Carl J. Barbier, presiding over the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, granted NRA's motion for contempt against New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Warren Riley for "failure to provide initial disclosures and to compel answers to discovery" during NRA's injunction against the City for their illegal gun confiscation of law abiding citizens following Hurricane Katrina in 2006.

"Once more, Mayor Ray Nagin and former police chief Warren Riley are held accountable for considering themselves above the law," said Chris W. Cox, NRA's chief lobbyist. "These men have had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, every step of the way in this process to return the lawfully owned firearms to their own citizens, and Judge Barbier rightly found them in contempt of court for their complete lack of respect for the rule of law."

Furthermore, Judge Barbier concluded the delaying tactics by the City's attorney, Joseph Vincent DiRosa, Jr, to be "wholly unprofessional and shall not be condoned". Mr. DiRosa admitted in Court that he had "no good reason" to explain his actions and has been ordered to pay partial legal fees to NRA's attorneys for their wasted time and money.

"Ray Nagin, Warren Riley and their attorney refused to provide vital information to the U.S. District Court for their unconstitutional acts in their city's time of great need," concluded Cox. "On behalf of the lawful gun owners of New Orleans, NRA is pleased with this outcome, we thank Judge Barbier for his swift decision and we will continue to press for the full return of all the city's confiscated firearms."

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America's oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and to advocate enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the military.

...related article

NRA Tells Conservatives to 'Remember New Orleans'
By Jeff Johnson
CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
February 13, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - Larger than life images of law enforcement officers confiscating legally-possessed firearms from New Orleans residents, who were accused of no crimes, played on video screens at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in Washington, D.C., on Saturday.

National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre urged the audience to "Remember New Orleans!"

"We're gonna make New Orleans the worst nightmare the gun ban crowd has ever seen, I promise you that," LaPierre told listeners, many of them NRA members, in a packed banquet hall.

LaPierre listed numerous studies by both government and private researchers, including some who oppose gun ownership, that show no correlation between gun control laws and reductions in violent crime.

"No gun control law anywhere ever had, ever has or ever will have any effect on crime, period," LaPierre argued. "All of this information is readily available to any policy maker who chooses to live in reality. But, still, there's a steady supply of people who just don't get it."

Included on that list, LaPierre said, are New York City mayor and gun control supporter Michael Bloomberg; Mike Wallace from the CBS News program "60 Minutes," who emceed a fundraiser for the anti-gun Brady Center; and Rebecca Peters of the International Action Network on Small Arms, a George Soros-funded non-governmental organization at the United Nations working to enact international bans on private gun ownership and possession.

LaPierre featured video clips of anti-gun comments by the trio, including Peters' assertion that "American citizens should be prohi..., should, should, be like any other citizens of the world."

"If the U.N. gets its way, we'll be just like those poor souls down in New Orleans whose guns were confiscated by force. They were left with no 9-1-1, no police, no protection and no way to protect themselves," LaPierre said. "That's the United Nations' dream for America."

Videotaped interviews with several New Orleans residents whose firearms were confiscated by police were also played during LaPierre's speech. They included remarks by one man who was beaten by robbers while police allegedly stood by and did nothing. Officers later returned, the man claimed, and confiscated the gun he had armed himself with in case the robbers returned.

While LaPierre is angry over how police officers treated lawfully armed citizens in New Orleans, especially as armed looters and robbers ravaged the city, he said the experience has created a new rallying cry for those who support Second Amendment rights.

"New Orleans was the first place in American history to disarm peaceable citizens, house-by-house, at gunpoint," LaPierre said. "And I promise you this standing here today: We at the NRA are going to make sure it's the last place it ever happens.

"Never again can Michael Bloomberg or Rebecca Peters or Mike Wallace, or the United Nations, or the Brady Center, or anywhere else say that honest citizens don't need firearms because what happened in New Orleans proves beyond a shadow of a doubt what we've said all along," he continued.

"The next time some arrogant politician looks at you and says, 'Why does anyone need to own a gun?' I want you to look them straight in the face and say this: 'Remember New Orleans!'" LaPierre exclaimed.

"'Why do you need to own a gun?'" he continued. "Remember New Orleans!

"'Aren't you just being kind of paranoid?'" LaPierre asked on behalf of the hypothetical politician. "Remember New Orleans!

"'Why does anyone need right to carry?'" he added. "Remember New Orleans!

"'What makes you think our government would ever try to confiscate your guns?'" LaPierre asked. At this point, he was joined by a roaring chorus from the audience: "Remember New Orleans!"

"'Is the Second Amendment really relevant in the 21st Century?'" he asked, allowing the audience to reply, "Remember New Orleans!"

Make media inquiries or request an interview with Jeff Johnson.

Subscribe to the free CNSNews.com daily E-Brief.

E-mail a comment or news tip to Jeff Johnson.

Send a Letter to the Editor about this article.

Good thing there are enough "fools" out there supporting the NRA to pay for the lawsuit against New Orleans - thousands of New Orleans gun owners thank them.

It takes money to support the "cause." The only way they get money is from members. Like everything else - nothing and no one is perfect. To say that since I do not support 100% of their positions, I will not support them at all is just an excuse for being a cheap bastid.

Yeah, we're supposed to be good little slaves and serfs and never get uppity with 'the man' in charge. The 'underclass' is a little harder to intimadate and control when there's hardware within reach.
My snooty, pointyheaded neighbor noticed me lugging my rifle up to my shack a couple of years ago and screamed "ALL guns should be outlawed... NOBODY should be allowed to own a gun!!" Without missing a beat, I shouted back: "Especially YOU!!" I can just picture her peacefully walking into a gas chamber someday after the correct-thinking police get through with her.
NRA? Yeah, sorta. I'd rather have them around as not. Everyone complains that they are too political, but when you look at who and what they are up against you really can't blame them.
Jose, what part of your colon did you dredge the Columbine drivel up from? The real tragedy is that those two Goth losers didn't catch burning slugs to their skulls any sooner... or had never been born. Cuervo, I'll let ya know when you actually come up with something positive and orriginal...

That is a easy one I'll say yeh :) I feel the NRA like many organizations are good and bad. The good is the obvious we need somebody putting morons like the mayor of New Orleans in check. I do believe however if you are the president of the NRA it is a financial gain. I'm sure this dude gets sweet hook ups on everything from real estate ventures to the best stock tips. It cant be any different then being a politician, something is always in it for you!hump It is what it is, this is how our country is. I will not talk :BLEEP: about an organization that helps protect something that is dear to me. If I was nieve enough to believe that every dollar that I donate is going straight to the cause then I would never donate:BLEEP: to RMEF:D or any other multi million dollar a year organization. Please dont tell me that when the founders of RMEF started the foundation they were not thinking dollar signs hump I live 15 miles away from where RMEF started in a little run down trailer in Troy MT. Not sure if anybody has been there but there is alot of welfare cases if you get my point:rolleyes:

Scottymack:

I am with you. I got called so many times in January, I had to threaten to go to Tennessee to whoop the smart ass calling me for the fifth time that week. Actually they were calling to talk to my teenage son.

I am a member, and probably always will be.

They speak for me only on Second Amendment issues.

They are almost always at odds with my opinions about habitat, high fences, fair chase, etc.

I wish they were more inclined to take the "habitat road," but they are so married to the Republican Party and some of the radical influences of the GOP, that sometimes they get way out in the weeds when it comes to true hunting issues.

I wish the media could learn that the NRA is a gun rights group, not a hunting organization. The NRA does not speak for the majority hunters on most hunting issues, even though they portray themselves as such.

Just my own personal opinion.

Do you own a rifle?
Do you want to keep it?
The NRA is the biggest and strongest ally you have. Bob

I have been a member for twenty plus years. I have never recived a phone call asking for money. Of course I do not give out my phone number. I sign up for three years at a time, in fact, it's going to be due soon. Hey Jose, would you like me to get you a gift membership ? (just PM me your adress and phone number)

LaPierre was the guest speaker at the Salt Lake FNAWS convention banquet last month. He gave an inspiring presentation of a debate concerning the future of hunting between a PETA dude and himself. You may not like everything the NRA stands for, but do you like anything PETA stands for? The NRA does stand up for hunting as well as gun ownership. They are only as good an organization as the members that make up the NRA. I just renewed for 3 more years last week.

You may not like everything the NRA stands for, but do you like anything PETA stands for?

Absolutely, PETA has some good parts, and some bad, just like the NRA. PETA's efforts to ban canned hunts is to be commended. It is too bad lazy hunters like yourself don't agree with PETA on banning canned hunts.

"It is too bad lazy hunters like yourself don't agree with PETA on banning canned hunts."

Speak for yourself Joser.....didn't you go over to Africa to shoot a buch of circus animals? What does PETA think about "rich lazy" hunters shooting circus animals for sport in Africa? Should I agree with PETA in banning "canned circus animal hunts"? What's the NRA's position on shooting circus animals in Africa? What's the odds that the greased pig even answers one of these questions (other than this one)?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back