Nothing but opinionated BS

but don't the wisconsinites realize they are also often doing that?

the main thing i know is every packers fan i've met is above and beyond the most annoying football fan than even i could try to conceive of in my imagination.

then you have hawkeyes fans....
They don't know what to do if they aren't defending their team. They get lost if you don't want to argue about football. It's like telling a 5 year old "we are not talking about dinosaurs".

Having made a long road trip down the east coast, here is my "opinionated BS" about New England.

It starts off absolutely beautiful and shall I dare to say "one of the most beautiful" in our nation. My trip happened in October and so those rolling "hills" and bottoms were just stunning.

From there, its starts to drop off quickly. And I mean QUICKLY. By the time you hit MA, its hellhole suburbia. By NYC, all beauty is absolutely sucked out of the land.

From NYC south, its hell until after DC in which it once again quickly reverses back around and by the time you hit Richmond, you no longer wish to kill yourself.
Get the F@#$ out of here with this nonsense. New England is ME, NH, VT, MA, CT & RI.

NY, NJ, PA, DC are all mid Atlantic.

-Staunch former New Englander.

Get the F@#$ out of here with this nonsense. New England is ME, NH, VT, MA, CT & RI.

wait, New Englanders leave New England?

I worked in western Mass for a year and a half, I've never been to a place where I was told by so many people "this is the best place on earth" when I would ask them what the runner-up was they would invariably say "I've never been anywhere else"

If it wasn't for my wife, kids, job, house, and those weak midwestern chins, I'd have asked every server and our bartender at the place we stopped at for refreshments and sustenance to marry me, that's how nice, geniune, and funny they were.
Dude there’s so many pawgs out west. Every time I pull into town and get out of the car in Colorado It’s just like “wow”
The terrain out there makes girls that would be a 1 or 2 in IL a 4-6 west of I-25.

You drove the most boring part of MN. It's superior to all the states it borders, and its not even close.

Dude there’s so many pawgs out west. Every time I pull into town and get out of the car in Colorado It’s just like “wow”
The terrain out there makes girls that would be a 1 or 2 in IL a 4-6 west of I-25.

there's so much frame of reference and nuance to this.

a summit county 10 is a boulder 4.

a co springs 9 is a denver 7.

a steamboat springs 7 is a summit county 10.

a colorado 5 is a wyoming 10. but it depends on how big daddy's ranch is... a wyoming 5 could be a colorado 10.

we need wllm to make a handy chart.

NJ, PA and DC are mid-Atlantic. NY refuses to be labeled. We have one foot in the mid-Atlantic, one foot in the midwest, an elbow in Canada, a finger in New England and the other (middle) one raised in salute to New Jersey.

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

I think the ugly cities in Wyoming are a good thing. Keeps the libs in Montana and Colorado (except Jackson, and Sheridan is suspect). Just keep driving on through and ignore the abundant game. Maybe one western mountain state will be spared from lib policies.

I live in Arkansas and yeah the eastern US sucks and I avoid traveling east of the Mississippi as much as possible. Too many cities and traffic. Arkansas is pretty gross too and nobody should come here to duck hunt.
Replacing Sheridan with Laramie would be more accurate.

Last edited:
You clearly don't actually have kids. Car drives are the best way to get those little shits to fall asleep.

LOL

None of them are straight

What? There are like 2 places to go to and everyone goes to them.

I feel like you've never actually lived in a rural setting. Most of your complaints are with the suburban lifestyle, not the west. there's 100k people in our greater community, and none of that is true for them.

Your argument is that it doesn't ever suck.
My argument is that it's never awesome.

I'll take some shitty with my awesome all day every day over not having any awesome.
You're lying to yourself bro... lived most of my life in three counties in CO... current populations 15k, 50k, 30k

Micro example mail... I was 30 the first time I didn't have to drive 10 min to check my mail. I got to Boston and I was like... WTF they bring it TO YOU? You can hand a letter to the person or put it on the box on the corner and that's it? What is this witchcraft.

Not sure what it's like in rural Washington, but in CO we didn't have sidewalks and while the trails went to big ass mountains they were 10-50 miles away. Driving.

Grocery store... driving

We put 7,000 miles on both of cars combined last year... I put 28,000 miles on my car my last year in Colorado. Assuming an average speed of 60 mph and driving 18 hours a day ;) that's ~26 days of my year behind the wheel. Versus like ~3-6 now. So I get back at least 20 days of my life back.

The dog being a shedder is as bad as my buddy that helped his friend drive from NY to WA with a cat that meowed every 15 seconds. No exageration as he called me a couple of times to ask what the wildlife he and his friend were seeing...meow....meow....meow.

I have driven several times from Portland, OR, metro to ID on the way to UT or MT or WY or to CO. Those switchbacks as got to ID suck and are only fun to drive if have a sports car. There is a low spot just before there (or maybe just after) that can get hammered by thick fog.

I actually dislike driving back to WA more though as can legally zoom along until hit the eastern border of WA. I got pulled over doing 95+ just past the state line. I had just fueled and now was almost pitch black so as was going down the on ramp I saw a semi screaming along so I punched it and had dreams of a fast drive all the way home. Had a cooler of bull elk meat in my SUV and the skull touched the radio console and the antlers pushed on the back glass. Not a dink. Patrolman was a hunter so got a warning. I can never say I never caught a break.

The interstate on the ID to MT route is usually beat to hell and under construction, it seems. Pretty county for me.

The interstate on the ID to UT route is better but there are vast portions with no services, like over 100 miles it seems.

ID to Jackson, WY, on the two lane route that snakes northeast up eastern ID is amazing scenery.

I have also driven several times from Phoenix metro on the way to NM or CO or UT or WY or MT. I have taken the shortcut to WY by cutting through NE AZ into Reservation land and that is a rough place to survive. I think I passed Hole in the Rock landmark. Poverty in the Appalachians might now have an equal.

There are a couple of Fundamentalist FLDS communities as drive AZ to southern UT to SW CO and they are creepy. Seems to have several wives then not only does there need to be lots of babies 15 years ago but the boys need ran off so are not competition. I was very uncomfortable and a vibe of creepiness resonated as gazed to the distance at the compounds. I have a friend that is a doctor near one of the compounds and they see genetic maladies that arise from close family having kids. Ick.

Have seen some of the most amazing summer sunsets while driving around ID, WY, western MT and western CO. I love the smell of sage.

Roadtrip 2022. It is not too late.

You're lying to yourself bro... lived most of my life in three counties in CO... current populations 15k, 50k, 30k

Micro example mail... I was 30 the first time I didn't have to drive 10 min to check my mail. I got to Boston and I was like... WTF they bring it TO YOU? You can hand a letter to the person or put it on the box on the corner and that's it? What is this witchcraft.

Not sure what it's like in rural Washington, but in CO we didn't have sidewalks and while the trails went to big ass mountains they were 10-50 miles away. Driving.

Grocery store... driving

We put 7,000 miles on both of cars combined last year... I put 28,000 miles on my car my last year in Colorado. Assuming an average speed of 60 mph and driving 18 hours a day ;) that's ~26 days of my year behind the wheel. Versus like ~3-6 now. So I get back at least 20 days of my life back.

but this is like trying to tell a dog that "playing fetch is bad"

it doesn't doesn't compute. if one could even speak dog.

for some people incessant convenience inherently brings with it their worst nightmares.

Last edited:
but this is like trying to tell a dog that "playing fetch is bad"

it doesn't doesn't compute. if one could even speak dog.

for some people incessant convenience inherently brings with it many peoples worst nightmares.
As a 4th generation western sloper... and life long rocky mountain resident gonna let the cat out of the bag.

Sorry folks.

1658952591798.png

Grocery store... driving

Sounds like you like driving about as much as I do.
On my last hunting trip west I flew into Denver and picked up a Turo rental. I liked it so much better than solo driving it myself. It works real well if you don't kill anything, but gets a little more spendy if you have to fly meat home. I'll likely do it again, even after paying oversize/overweight fees to get the meat home. I'm self employed, with no paid time off, so all that driving time is time I could be hunting or making money.
I kind of hate being so dependent on vehicles as well, but I live in a very rural area, so what do you do?

Back