Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Nothing but opinionated BS

I did that shitty drive a half dozen times before I decided to cross northern Missouri or Iowa. Never again.
I live 3 hours south of I-70, so I don't get up that way very often. Only reason I've been to St. Louis in the last few years is to fly out. Haven't been to KC in almost 10 years, I think?

So as my actions show, I kind of agree with you in regards to the I-70 corridor. It's a whole other world down here, in some ways better, and in some ways just different! :D

Finally, on the flight back, flying over WA, almost right over my house. I decided I'd never want to live anywhere else. All of our mountains, which are way more rugged than Montana's Bob, all be it smaller, are still loaded with snow, they stretch out to the horizon even at 30k feet. At the same time one can pan over to sound, and the San Juans, then to the Olympics. Outside of Seattle, by which I mean everything from Centralia to Mount Vernon, this is ACTUALLY the prettiest state. I feel so fortunate to live here.

nice read - I was stationed at Ft Lewis for 6 years, lived east of base in Yelm the first year or so, then moved on base. I agree - other than that corridor you mentioned, it is a beautiful place - miss it often

Here's some Geography terms for you-all....

the-united-states-of-america-map-accordig-to-a-cowboy.gif

Best thread I've read on any forum in a long time, I thank you. I will defend Ohio only because I am forced to live here by my wife....

Like SD Prairie Goat I'll share perspective
  • Steady jobs
  • Steady Economy
  • Decent hunting and fishing
  • Our roads beat the heck out the Hoosiers only a couple of miles from me
  • NW part of the state sucks as it is being overrun by poultry complexes and other crappy farming practices
  • SE part of the state sucks because there is a 12 out of 10 chance that you will lose your catalytic converter while out wandering the woods

@neffa3 the real brilliance IMHO of Boston over anywhere else... as a big city...

Minimal driving, I sometimes go all week without starting a car... walk to the store, I can run/bike dirt trails from my house... I can walk 2 blocks to the river to fish or boat. I imagine with little kids it's amazing. "Smaller" activities, but waaaay easier to manage.

On the weekends you can go to the beach or ski, but there are like 20 ways to get somewhere and there are 100 places to go during every season so there isn't really traffic.

Being in AK for a month, I realized how much I missed the alpine, being far away from people, a grocery store that isn't asses to elbows at 10:30am on a Tuesday, but I also realize how expensive and limiting it is to be reliant on a car in the west. Drive to the trail to run... drive 2 hours to a river to boat, drive 15 min to the store, hell to get to a spot where I can walk the dog where we aren't essentially walking down a semi busy street with no sidewalk takes 20min. I'd say about 5 hours more of my M-F in AK is spent driving versus MA to accomplish just basic life activities, store/work/little bit of exercise.

Pluses and Minuses... I think the biggest problem is comparing things one to one rather than embracing what that place or lifestyle has to offer.

in my one visit to wisconsin i found it delightful. said i could move here. i find it odd how much they hate iowans there. it's like being in love with yourself while simultaneously loathing the guy you see in the mirror...

i can't find an ugly part of wyoming. maybe some towns. but otherwise even the vast bland emptiness of many of it's square miles just gives me a good dose of stress relief.

TV show pitch....

You and I road trip across the country visiting HTer's from various states to hunt.

You complain the whole time and I will get jazzed about our squirrel hunt with @DouglasR in IL
Consider it a "Live Trek" vs Hunt. Epic thread, turned "The Road" TV series. Who directed, "The Office"? @wllm , be sure to plant some PITA animal in the engine compartment area - Get a Part Deux of a @neffa3 hose action.

Hmmm... would need to be an R.V. or, better yet, see if the Nuge would let you road trip his Ted bus!

Sorry guys - I'm still working through the thread - though my assessment thus far. There's potential here!

Love it. Just keep snoozing on MN because all of MN is just like what you see along I-90. Mostly like Iowa, but with stronger chins than WI. Think on this: we have as many wolves as the REST of the lower US COMBINED (plus or minus a hundred depending on who counts). I would draw the meridian line just west of Mpls/St. Paul. Once you get there, everything east starts going down hill.

Did you drive off the cliff like Thelma and Louise?

in my one visit to wisconsin i found it delightful. said i could move here. i find it odd how much they hate iowans there. it's like being in love with yourself while simultaneously loathing the guy you see in the mirror...

i can't find an ugly part of wyoming. maybe some towns. but otherwise even the vast bland emptiness of many of it's square miles just gives me a good dose of stress relief.
Iowans are very hatable people.

They’re like that guy that somehow shows up to the party, eats all the good, drinks all the beer, talks loudly about themselves, and has no idea everyone despises them. They ruin everything

Consider it a "Live Trek" vs Hunt. Epic thread, turned "The Road" TV series. Who directed, "The Office"? @wllm , be sure to plant some PITA animal in the engine compartment area - Get a Part Deux of a @neffa3 hose action.

Hmmm... would need to be an R.V. or, better yet, see if the Nuge would let you road trip his Ted bus!

Sorry guys - I'm still working through the thread - though my assessment thus far. There's potential here!
you are too late.... In the show, eligible women live on tour buses and travel with Bret Michaels, competing for his attention and affection. The show premiered on January 4, 2009.

6e09d8bf0e8548d5a4e6a7e2737913e4.jpg

rockofdumb-1024x809.png

@neffa3 the real brilliance IMHO of Boston over anywhere else... as a big city...

Minimal driving, I sometimes go all week without starting a car... walk to the store, I can run/bike dirt trails from my house... I can walk 2 blocks to the river to fish or boat. I imagine with little kids it's amazing. "Smaller" activities, but waaaay easier to manage.
You clearly don't actually have kids. Car drives are the best way to get those little shits to fall asleep.
On the weekends you can go to the beach

LOL
but there are like 20 ways to get somewhere
None of them are straight
and there are 100 places to go during every season so there isn't really traffic.
What? There are like 2 places to go to and everyone goes to them.
Being in AK for a month, I realized how much I missed the alpine, being far away from people, a grocery store that isn't asses to elbows at 10:30am on a Tuesday, but I also realize how expensive and limiting it is to be reliant on a car in the west. Drive to the trail to run... drive 2 hours to a river to boat, drive 15 min to the store, hell to get to a spot where I can walk the dog where we aren't essentially walking down a semi busy street with no sidewalk takes 20min. I'd say about 5 hours more of my M-F in AK is spent driving versus MA to accomplish just basic life activities, store/work/little bit of exercise.
I feel like you've never actually lived in a rural setting. Most of your complaints are with the suburban lifestyle, not the west. there's 100k people in our greater community, and none of that is true for them.
Pluses and Minuses... I think the biggest problem is comparing things one to one rather than embracing what that place or lifestyle has to offer.
Your argument is that it doesn't ever suck.
My argument is that it's never awesome.

I'll take some shitty with my awesome all day every day over the absence of awesome.

Last edited:
Iowans are very hatable people.

They’re like that guy that somehow shows up to the party, eats all the good, drinks all the beer, talks loudly about themselves, and has no idea everyone despises them. They ruin everything

but don't the wisconsinites realize they are also often doing that?

the main thing i know is every packers fan i've met is above and beyond the most annoying football fan than even i could try to conceive of in my imagination.

then you have hawkeyes fans....

but don't the wisconsinites realize they are also often doing that?

the main thing i know is every packers fan i've met is above and beyond the most annoying football fan than even i could try to conceive of in my imagination.

then you have hawkeyes fans....
I am separated from Wisconsin by Iowa and since I’ve made a vow never to go to Iowa I don’t have many doings with Wisconsin people. But if they’re against Iowa then they can’t be all that bad.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back