Nothing but opinionated BS

Agreed on an elk hunt...the hunt is Type 1 fun: Fun when you are doing it and fun to talk about later. The pack out at 2:30 am uphill in a snowstorm is Type 2: Not fun at all when you are doing it but fun to talk about later. Type 3 fun is not fun at all: Not fun doing it and not fun talking about it. I have never experienced Type 3 yet!

LMAO at this thread. Still can't get over the fact that wllm is trying to convince people that there are positive things about living in Boston...the only thing positive about Boston is that I am POSITIVE that I absolutely cringe every time I have to go there!!!
Go 60 miles West or 60 miles North and things start to improve dramatically!

Agreed on an elk hunt...the hunt is Type 1 fun: Fun when you are doing it and fun to talk about later. The pack out at 2:30 am uphill in a snowstorm is Type 2: Not fun at all when you are doing it but fun to talk about later. Type 3 fun is not fun at all: Not fun doing it and not fun talking about it. I have never experienced Type 3 yet!
I feel like most of life is Type 3 fun, especially if you don't live in the mountains...

Hey, glad to hear you liked SD, come back for Pheasant season!

I'll add some tidbits where I can:
  • Most the prairie you see is native, and many areas end up getting a controlled burn every now and then to bring back the native grasses when weeds take over wet areas around a farm.
  • West River most years is more like a sea of brown most years. It gets worse in getting closer to fall time. Usually by the time hunting season comes around everything is brown and grazed to nothing out there
  • Shelter belts are being lost at an alarming rate. Most farmers are tearing them out on marginal ground, and the current price of grain makes this more attractive than ever
  • SD is also losing CRP acres every year because the program can't keep up with demand and cost of land, and much of the land enrolled in the 90's is now out of contract so it is being put back into production. Its a bit of a heart break and a failure IMO.
  • Not massive deer numbers like WI, but we hold a fair number. Deer are really good at adapting to living around the farm, and seem to thrive
  • Rapid City can be kind of rough.... Much better places to stay in the hills, Spearfish is lovely and right on the interstate
  • Zoning laws do exist, but they are fairly weak in SD overall. Some areas like Sioux Falls and Rapid are more strict than small towns, but a lot is grandfathered in. Sioux Falls for example has greatly expanded the use of storm water retention in the City.
This is also happening in Arkansas except instead of production they'll industrialize it with solar panels kill me.

key to Chitown is parking that puppy outside taking the train in and eating and drinking your face off on foot. ;)
I knew there were people in this world that liked mass transit and getting drunk in big cities. I also knew there were hunters that enjoy wandering around in big open country. I didn't know that they could be the same person. My world view has been shattered...also, I don't think we can be friends anymore.

In looking at a bit a topography across a open field near a hill top, it was impossible to determine what direction the nearest creek flowed. You literally had to drive over a bridge and look down. If that ain't the definition of hell I don't know what is.
If your driving west to east everything is flowing to your right except in Places in VW the old Smokies get very twisty. Driving north to south creeks and rivers mainly are flowing from northwest to south east on the east side of the Appalachian & smokies. On the west side of the mountain the flow is towards the Ohio and Mississippi rivers.

If your driving west to east everything is flowing to your right except in Places in VW the old Smokies get very twisty. Driving north to south creeks and rivers mainly are flowing from northwest to south east on the east side of the Appalachian & smokies. On the west side of the mountain the flow is towards the Ohio and Mississippi rivers.
BUT HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW WHICH WAY IS WEST IF THERE ARE NO MOUNTAINS?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back