Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Newb from IN

joelhunter

Joined a couple of weeks ago after listening to some episodes of hunt talk radio. Was going to introduce myself, but then heard Big Fin's take on lawyers, so I thought I'd better lay low. Then later, I was going to send out my intro, but Mountainhawks posted some pretty sweet pics as a new member, and I realized anything I would post would seem lame in comparison.

So here we go: started hunting whitetails about 7 years ago when a college buddy finally convinced me to buy a bow. He'd been hunting public lands for a couple of years as a newb himself, and had yet to put down a deer. Little did I know that he was on the verge of quitting. We went to my Grandpa's farm, sight unseen for him, and he put down a big bodied buck 20 minutes into our first hunt together. Needless to say, he hasn't quit!

Took three years for me to finally put down my first deer. Hopefully, I've finally started getting the hang of it a little, as I put three in the freezer last year. I'm still not real comfortable with a gun, although I took one with a muzzleloader last year. But I've shot less than 100 rounds in my life from any type of gun, while I've flung 10,000+ arrows by now.

More importantly, I've found a reason to get intimately acquainted with what's left of my Grandpa's farm. He died when I was 12, and we lived just far enough away that I didn't get to spend enough time there. I know that the farm he had accumulated over his life meant the world to him, and now I'm finally intimately acquainted with it myself. That being said, the same sad tale that many families experience has begun when my uncle died earlier this year carrying a heavy mortgage on a significant piece of the farm.

Sorry to be so verbose, but I hope you westerner's have room for a Hoosier 1st gen hunter. I do have a western connection, as I was blessed with the opportunity to intern for the BLM's Wilderness Program between undergrad and law school. I love public lands, and am heading to Morgan/Monroe State forest to sit in a tree this evening.

Please keep sharing your stories: successes, failures, and slight fabrications. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn from your experiences.

From one 1st Gen Hoosier hunter to another, welcome!! You will find good folks and great information around here. Thanks to the Army I am now blessed to live in CO but my favorite place in the world is a tree stand in the hardwoods during IN gun season with some snow on the ground :) I am originally from Indy but now call Warsaw home when I'm "Back Home Again....."

Welcome to the forum. Look forward to some stories about hunting for those great Hoosier state bucks.

Welcome, from yet another Hoosier by birth. Grew up hunting Brown, and Morgan Counties, then lived in Jefferson and Switzerland Counties. While here in Montana, I still miss fall whitetails in the hardwoods, but sadly most of those memories were before the building boom of the 90s that laid waste to so many of my hunting grounds. Run into lots of Hoosier hunters out here each year, never met a more serious collective group of archers than the Indiana boys tend to be.

Welcome from your neighbor to the east. Go Buckeyes! Had to throw that out there for todays game :D

Welcome!! I used to work for the BLM and figure we may be part of a small group of Hoosiers with BLM connections. Good luck on keeping your family farm together!

We're getting enough Hoosiers on this place we ought to have a "Who's There" Hunttalk Get together sometime.

Always room for another HOOSIER!
Hope you get to keep hunting the farm, they are special and getting harder to come by nowadays. I hunt Montgomery,Parke,and Vermillion mostly.
Again, welcome aboard. (Got out for my first sit of the season tonight. . . 7 does 1 small 8pt).

I sat in Morgan/Monroe Friday. Hope you had better luck than me. I didn't see a deer buy the wind was also blowing every which direction. Do you do any other hunting?

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back