New Yellow Lab Puppy!

Got all my books in and skimming through I think the Wolters books are going to be just what I need. Lot's of pictures and specific instructions even on the basic commands to get us started.

Only problem is there isn't enough time in the day anymore!

Only problem is there isn't enough time in the day anymore!

Surely you can find just a few minutes in the morning and evening. It only takes a few minutes and to be consistant.

I had the two litters at the same time. Total of thirteen pups.(one pup sold in the pic) Training started before five in the mornings, spending a minumum of 3 minutes with each pup. I could spend more time with them in the evenings. After they would progressed in the training sessions, I would group them in two or four or even the whole group. They would actually learn from the others mistakes.

The picture is a "sit & stay" session in the house, when time and weather was a major factor in the winter.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 517
Yeah, I'm for sure going to make the time. Just had a pretty good heel, sit, stay session on the leash this evening. My wife and son are wearing her out retrieving. Had another trip over to the pond and just about couldn't keep her out of the water. Going to try some retrieves in the water the next time.

Patience! Kindergarten stuff right now.

Well, she retrieves!

Here she is retrieving dirt clods. (Click on the picture to view the video)

And she LOVES the water.

She's learning pretty quickly. Sit, stay, come are all getting there, fetches well but if she doesn't see you throw forget it.

Great looking pup, I had a rott that loved the water and a yellow lab that will splash around but doesnt like to swim. They were inseparable. Your pics brought up some good memories. Can't wait to see the pics of her retrieving some quail.

:(

A family friend ran our puppy over a couple weeks ago and I'm still just heartbroken over it. Had a week long hunting trip to help take my mind off of it, but now that we are home it stinks.

Trying to figure out where to go from here. I just don't have it in my right now to start working with another puppy. Our existing dog seems heartbroken as well if dogs can actually have feelings. The wife is worried about her and really wants to get another dog ASAP. If I don't do something soon, I'm afraid she's going to have some stray picked up and brought home.

I'm looking at some started dogs in the 1 year old range, but not completely sure. Prices are all over the place up to $2,500 - $3,000.

I know I should do something. Just not sure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan

Build a kennel run for your dogs #1 so they dont get run over, and so that doesn't ever happen again. Get some new friends who can drive. You do not need to do anything. Maybe you do not need a hunting dog. Get a great dane so your friend cant miss.
Dogs mourn like people do. Takes time to get over.
>Get another pup - from 6 weeks to 6 months are some of the fondest memories imo prior to hunting memories afield. I would say you need to work more obedience and set your dog up for success = train them around vehicles (stay away) just like you would train them to swim thru decoys, or cast them on a retrieve. IMO started dogs do not have much personality, they are picked and started, ready for hunting and are most times 'hot'.

Oh man so sorry to hear about that. I have a 5 month old black pup right now and can't imagine what I would do if that happened. Again, so sorry...

I don't think a kennel would have solved this. She was run over out in the pasture and I wouldn't have had her in the kennel because I was outside when it happened.

I would agree with the poor driving comment and also training to stay away from vehicles. I had been working on everything else and not on staying away from vehicles although she had started to develop a bad habit of running in front of them. Was planning on working on it, but just hadn't yet.

We had our first dove hunt the week that she was killed. She did great. Was doing great jogging with my wife without a leash, had all the basic commands down really well, was working on blind retrieves and started on doubles. Really the only thing I hadn't worked on yet was force fetching and e-collar. Was going to use the e-collar for training her around vehicles, but didn't get a chance.

Sinking feeling in the pit of the stomach over your story.....So sorry for you and your family Nathan.

Sorry to hear this Nathan. You might take a little time to think about what you learned training this pup and what you would do dif before you start another. Once again so sorry.

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Good luck in finding a new addition to the family.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back