Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Tire Opinions

I love my Cooper AT3 4S on my F150 4x4. I am 90% pavement 10% off. Been outstanding with deep snow and with ice, but things are pretty flat in MN.

I've had two sets of BFG Ko2. One set was 8 ply (D) and the other 10 ply (E). They are tough and good in snow but not worth a darn in slick western mud as they don't clean out and really load up badly. I won't buy again.
All it took was passing a few trucks with BFG's and Goodyears spining in the mud or off the road. Those things might as well be slicks when its muddy here. Noisy too.

Not totally related, but I had a nail puncture the edge of the tread on my Forester. Un-repairable, or so I was told. $240 for one tire, mounted and balanced.
$105 for a oil change.... I'm about ready to move back to KY
I had a spike that was fixable on my Discount tire, Duratrac. They denied the repair due to the sidewall cuts that did not leak.
I went to a used tire shop run by locals down the road and they patched the spike hole.
I replaced those tires the next week. And not a a brand name place.

All it took was passing a few trucks with BFG's and Goodyears spining in the mud or off the road. Those things might as well be slicks when its muddy here. Noisy too.
I think bfg’s need a little wheel spin to shake off the mud , so when it’s extra slippery mud , I will pull the abs fuse to get full 4x4 instead of computer control traction, as the computer will mess with wheel spin

I bought Yokohama XAT's about 1.5 yrs ago for my 1500 Silverado, about half my driving is on MT dirt roads to get to and from work, and the other half pavement.

I don't have 20k miles on them and the tread has worn down extremely unevenly, I've messed with the tire pressures etc etc to no avail. Also stopped by the tire shop that installed them, they said the Yoko's have been presenting bad tire wear and the manufacturer is not warranting any of them. Sooooo that's the last set of Yoko's I buy

there was an older thread I commented on when I bought them, I'll have to dig it up and comment there also

I bought Yokohama XAT's about 1.5 yrs ago for my 1500 Silverado, about half my driving is on MT dirt roads to get to and from work, and the other half pavement.

I don't have 20k miles on them and the tread has worn down extremely unevenly, I've messed with the tire pressures etc etc to no avail. Also stopped by the tire shop that installed them, they said the Yoko's have been presenting bad tire wear and the manufacturer is not warranting any of them. Sooooo that's the last set of Yoko's I buy

there was an older thread I commented on when I bought them, I'll have to dig it up and comment there also
They were great, for a year. Too soft of rubber compound.

They were great, for a year. Too soft of rubber compound.
yep exactly what I saw. Also talked to a mechanic at work about current tires on the market, he said the compounds used nowadays are not as resilient as they were in the past and don't perform as well.

yep exactly what I saw. Also talked to a mechanic at work about current tires on the market, he said the compounds used nowadays are not as resilient as they were in the past and don't perform as well.
All depends on what you need it to do. Toyo M55s won’t grip like a softer tire on snow and ice, and Blizzaks would get shredded on rocks.

I over-analyzed this same decision last fall - spent way too much time reading everything I could and talking to people who use their trucks off road a good bit. I decided on the GY Duratracs - Load E. They had a lot of desired traits and a couple of bad ones such as weaker sidewalls and really bad on ice (what isn't?). What swayed me to buy them was when I saw them on the local game warden's truck I asked him what he thought of them and he really liked them and he puts them to the test routinely. I also had an outfitter, who likewise is hard on equipment, tell me they are all he ever runs. I value those kind of opinions from people I know. Did I make the right choice? Time will tell. If not, I'll probably be reading the 4 pages above in a year or two.

All depends on what you need it to do. Toyo M55s won’t grip like a softer tire on snow and ice, and Blizzaks would get shredded on rocks.
This. You can’t have durability without a heavier tire and/or harder rubber. Harder rubber makes for poorer traction on snow and ice.

Tires that get you better fuel economy and last longer typically don’t tend to fare well off road and/or in snow. Vice versa.

All depends on what is most important to you. No tire is without downside. Just depends on how big a deal that downside is to you.

Falken Wildpeaks for a rig used as a daily driver, FS roads and the occasional log/skid trail and some crazy rock laden roads. Snowflake rated and excellent on wet roads and fine in the snow. Completely satisfied.

I had a set of Duratracs and was. NOT impressed with sidewall durability or road noise.

I concur with this.

KO2's were pretty nice except for rain and ice.

Cooper discoverer at3 xlt. Sweet tire. 10 ply as well. Has done great here in Arizona for me. Just played around in the snow today! Drives well on the highway and has been great offroad.

Wow, the AT3s on my truck are the worst tire I have ever used in snow and mud in the past 10 years.

Wow, the AT3s on my truck are the worst tire I have ever used in snow and mud in the past 10 years.
They make a couple different models of at3 which one do you specifically have?

I don’t deal with mud often. Snow 4-5 times a year but mainly I’m happy with dirt road/ rocky desert road performance. 2 previous tires had punctures so far so good with these guys.

They make a couple different models of at3 which one do you specifically have?

I don’t deal with mud often. Snow 4-5 times a year but mainly I’m happy with dirt road/ rocky desert road performance. 2 previous tires had punctures so far so good with these guys.
I don't remember which, but the most aggressive tread they offered in the AT3. Recommended by a friend. Going back to BFG TA KOs or something else when these wear out.
Living in WY and spending 60%+ of my time on gravel, dirt, and two-tracks I encounter snow, ice, mud, clay, and bentonite.
I used BFG s in the past and they performed much better for me.
Open for suggestions, but I know I will not be going with AT3s next time.

Back