New Tire Opinions

It’s funny the difference in opinions across the Interweb on KO2. I’ve heard they suck in snow and rain, won’t balance, loud, etc. I ran a few sets on different pickups. I found them to be very good on snow. Less good in deep snow. Fine in rain. Much less fine in mud. Very good in sand and rocks. Always balanced fine and no annoyingly loud road noise.
I have not been very impressed when I’m in mud or on ice. I don’t think any tire is good on ice though, so I’ll let that slide. As far as snow, I haven’t had them in deep stuff, but they’ve performed well in storms when I’m on pavement. Once the truck goes in 4WD I’ve never had an issue getting out of anything, even when pulling my tool trailer.

Have you run the ST Maxx? Im wondering if they’re harsher on pavement…

My ST Maxx wore real well on pavement and were great off-road for most things. I liked them better than my Nittos and BFGs

Have you run the ST Maxx? Im wondering if they’re harsher on pavement…
Can’t directly speak to them, other than to parrot a friend who has. I’ve ran a number of sets of its predecessor, the Discoverer S/T. They were marginal to bad in snow and ice unless you siped them. They were also pizza cutters (235 cm width) and probably at way too high PSI, so I’m reluctant to try and translate any of that to the current model.

Any experience with Nitto Ridgegrapplers?
I have them on my truck, so far I'm really liking them. Good traction in all conditions that I've driving in, and I do tow heavy once in awhile and have about 15k miles on them and they still look hardly worn and my truck is a diesel so it's a heavy pig.

Any experience with Nitto Ridgegrapplers?
Currently have them on a ’19 Chevy 2500 Duramax, 285/75-20. ‘14 2500 Duramax 275/85-18. Quiet up to about 16000 mi. they don’t wear even across the tire profile, (to be fair I’m not as diligent as I should be rotating). Recommended by my tire dealer, both trucks started getting slow leaks on the right front 🤔 after about 10000 mi. When we dismounted we found the aluminum pitted where the rubber met the wheel bead. My other local tire shop said they are seeing this with the newest Nitto’s. I’m going back to BFG’s, not real happy with them, especially at their price point. Just better than the alternative. We run a lot of limestone gravel with moderate to heavy loads, so 25000 is about all you can expect before the flats come, unless you run Michelin MTx. Then you get stuck in dewy grass and throw every rock you run over. YMMV.

Over all my years I’ve ran dang near everything under the sun. From Nitto Terra Grapplers, Cooper AT3, Cooper STT pro, Toyo MT, BFG ko and Ko2, Nitto MT, Goodyear Duratrac, Hankook Dynapro AT and Micky Thompson Baja Boss AT. Honestly all these tires performed well. They all lasted with proper care and maintenance. Things I look at for tires are how deep the factory siping is on the lugs, side profile biters and sidewall ply ratings.

My next set if I buy today will be another set of the Mickey Thompsons.

Attachments

• 1108B3D4-CEC7-447D-B517-B55F21E9E0E5.jpeg
    1108B3D4-CEC7-447D-B517-B55F21E9E0E5.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
There are quite a few semi-recent tire threads you could search. They're not the $$ value they used to be but I really, really like the Falken Wildpeak (3pmsf) for a do-it-all rocky mountain states tire. Dynapro's are maybe a value comp. depending on your retail options, they are OK, have some currently. If my next set is not Wildpeak it will be Duratrac.
I had the Duratrecs on my old superduty. Great all around tire for all around weather and field conditions in IL. Also towed with them and they held good. I now have a set on my F150 and am curious how many miles I will get out of them. Road noise is minimal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back