Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Tire Opinions

Goodyear Duratracs now have a 50k mile tread wear warranty. Great tire. Also check out Simple Tire.

Have you priced tires lately?

That's going to influence more than anything.

I have 3trucks. Newest is 10 years old.

Buy a cheaper set of mud tires, and some junk yard rims.

Takes 20 min to change tires.

The other 90% of the year run Bridgestones.

They last forever. And be honest, you'd be better off with cheaper, off brand mudders, a harbor freight winch, and a set of chains, than paying multiple thousands for tires that look good, and wear out fast.

My .02
I am tempted to do this and would, if I did not need them to get to the road at times.
I would still run 10 plies. My last set of LTX's cost more than the Cooper max sst, and lasted 2 years.
A grand for a set of tires installed these days. LOL
Have 3 years on the Cooper maxx now and they are in fine shape still.

I’ve used BFG all terrains for about 30 years and have been very happy with them. I currently have them on my 4Runner.

I’ve been using Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my 2500HD diesel for about 10 years and have been happy with them. They’re a street tire, but have done very well on red clay county and hunting club roads.

I used to swear by those trusty M-55 or 606 Toyos from Les Schwab. Can you even get those now?

I had a complete failure with the Dunlop 4 plies that were on my truck when I got it.
I went to the 6 ply back country from Les Schwab. Meh.

We had an alignment crisis on a road trip in January and I got a set of Goodyear Wranglers. (Ultraterrain AT) So far I'm impressed for the money.
To add to this. This was my first experience with Discount Tire. It was a good one. I saw that I was nearing cord showing while at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. We got to Kingman and I started calling tire shops for an alignment and new tires. It was Saturday, so I was fearing we would be S.O.L.

Siri pointed us to Discount Tire in Kingman. They had the Wranglers in stock an I told them I would buy if they could find me an alignment. They made some calls and got us wedged into the queue at a Brake Masters 3 blocks away.

Mounted and balanced within 25 minutes of me pulling the trigger. Brake Masters had us on the rack not long after. The first tech put it all to spec and test drive it. NO GO. They paired him up with their lead tech and did everything again. Straight as a string!. It has tracked great ever since.

Total travel time lost - 4 hours. I still made it back in time for a good night's sleep before returning work on Monday.

I am tempted to do this and would, if I did not need them to get to the road at times.
I would still run 10 plies. My last set of LTX's cost more than the Cooper max sst, and lasted 2 years.
A grand for a set of tires installed these days. LOL
Have 3 years on the Cooper maxx now and they are in fine shape still.
My 1988 3/4 GMC sits on Federal Couragia M/Ts. Don't go to a big name store for them. They are $100 less per tire at Wal-Mart.

My 1988 3/4 GMC sits on Federal Couragia M/Ts. Don't go to a big name store for them. They are $100 less per tire at Wal-Mart.
I get my tires from Jerry @ the local shop. Prices are close to Discount.
What good does Discount do me 200 miles away? The last tires from Discount were denied replacement/repair due to off roading/excessive wear. Just the local roads,just bad. I rarely travel off road here.

I have not stepped into a wally world in 10 years. And everything there is a knock off, even brand names.

I know ,my principles cost me at times.

What good does Discount do me 200 miles away? The last tires from Discount were denied replacement/repair due to off roading/excessive wear. Just the local roads,just bad. I rarely travel off road here.

I have not stepped into a wally world in 10 years. And everything there is a knock off, even brand names.

All I'm saying is that I paid too much for mine at Les Schwab. I had not been to a Discount Tire before that road trip. MY experience is based on one transaction. It may have more to do with the guy in the shirt than the sign outside.

Last edited:

That’s a fair point on how close Discount Tire is. I’ve bought several sets from them, but find a rarely ever use the free rotation and balance, because it’s more of a pain in the ass to get to the store then it is to rotate them myself in the driveway. In fairness, the local discount did me a solid a few years ago when they replaced a tire at a hell of a cost when I did not have their road hazard certificate.

All I'm saying is that I paid too much for mine at Les Schwab. I had not been to a Discount Tire before that road trip. MY experience is based on one transaction. It may have more to do with the guy in the shirt more than the sign outside.
I understand completely.
From what I have heard ,I should have gone down the street to the next Discount and that manager would not be a dick.
But it is still hundreds of miles away as JLS pointed out.

This is NM. Not even close to Kansas. LOL

I have learned you need to know what local conditions are and how others fare tire wise. Here.
Ranchers, outfitters, commuters, hunters...they all end up @ Jerry's to get repaired or replaced.
Does not matter, I am 18 miles from pavement. Does me no good if I can't get there.
The Michelins & Bridgestones I used before get shreaded in 25k miles.
Rubber compounds change.
What worked all over the west outside of the greater Gila area, well, not so well here.

I watch what lasts on local ranchers trucks now. Overall performance.
I have tried many. I have knicknames for many now. Badyear,duracrap, breakonastone,...LOL

Best ride & traction over all was Yokahama Geolanders. Too soft for these rocks. Shreaded after 2 years.
LTX best on my Tacoma,but do not last,here. Same with Duelers that lasted 65k before,now 22k.

I see every brand there is on hunting rigs here.
I could list the ones folks boast about here, that are at Jerry's. Don't get me started on ,"Which truck?".
Every new name, off brand there is. Same deal.
Will that guy or gal be in there next year looking for new tires?

I have tried 4 on the Ford so far. Bit the bullet,went with the in crowd and went back to Coopers. 1st in 30 years. 10 ply maxx st,65 lbs. Great ride ,all conditions here and no heavy road noise.

Wearing almost as good as the Kenda's have on the Tacoma,5 years. But gets used less these days. 10 ply and not so great a hwy ride.

Truck side note. I was laughed at when I showed up here with the Tacoma. Damn commie.
Now every rancher & outfitter has them.

I used to swear by those trusty M-55 or 606 Toyos from Les Schwab. Can you even get those now?

I had a complete failure with the Dunlop 4 plies that were on my truck when I got it.
I went to the 6 ply back country from Les Schwab. Meh.

We had an alignment crisis on a road trip in January and I got a set of Goodyear Wranglers. (Ultraterrain AT) So far I'm impressed for the money.

Don't say that!!!!

I got a set of those Backcountry on clearance, in 10 ply.

Still dropped $1400.

Your supposed to tell me how great they are

I'm on my 3rd set of nitto terra grapplers. My last two sets went 60k miles on my 1/2 ton Silverado. Great even wear and not loud going down the road. They are excellent in sand, great on dry steep trails, decent in mud, no experience in snow with them. Overall they are a good all around all-terrain tire from my experience.

I just traded out my Duratracs for Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's two weeks ago. I cant believe how much more quite the Mickey Thompsons are than the Duratracs. Tread depth is crazy deep, and so far very impressed with them on the snow & mud.

Very happy with them! look bad ass too!

I just traded out my Duratracs for Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T's two weeks ago. I cant believe how much more quite the Mickey Thompsons are than the Duratracs. Tread depth is crazy deep, and so far very impressed with them on the snow & mud.

Very happy with them! look bad ass too!

Better in snow than Duratracs? Pretty heavy duty tire too, similar carcass to the S/T Maxx.

I'll keep an eye out for them . I've seen more than one Mickey shredded here. Light carcass.
These are very close in weight, three ply sidewall. Not sure if it’s the exact same technology as the armor tek.

Probably too late to help the OP, but I have a nasty habit of buying new tires a year before deciding to get a different truck so I have experience with a few. I've had Cooper AT3's on two rigs - before they added the cool sidewalls to catch some KBro2 buyers, but the tread pattern was the same and they were awful on snow and ice from day 1. Duratracs on two 4Runners were fantastic in snow and wore better than expected for an aggressive tire, but as others mentioned they got louder after ~10k miles and they tend to grab and throw rocks on gravel. Currently running Toyo MT2's on a 3/4ton and have been very impressed on and off road, as well as snow/ice. From what I read, tread life on a heavy truck won't be great and they throw rocks like the Duratracs. I was intrigued by the Goodyear Ultraterrains and would have gotten them if not for a good deal on the Toyos, but I've had nothing but fantastic service from Discount Tire here.

Edit: a friend has Cooper ST Maxx on a Tacoma and a diesel 3/4 ton and they're amazing off road and ride nice on road. But they're pricey.

Not totally related, but I had a nail puncture the edge of the tread on my Forester. Un-repairable, or so I was told. $240 for one tire, mounted and balanced.
$105 for a oil change.... I'm about ready to move back to KY

I've had two sets of BFG Ko2. One set was 8 ply (D) and the other 10 ply (E). They are tough and good in snow but not worth a darn in slick western mud as they don't clean out and really load up badly. I won't buy again.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back