PEAX Equipment

New Pick up

By far the best truck on the road is a 2001 Chevy 1500. Truly a once in a lifetime vehicle. I think the ideal one would be a white lifted stepside with the 5.3. They also seem to really start to come in to their own around 180k miles. Women flock to these things...

I know if I was in the market for a new truck, I'd want to hold out and see if something similar pops up on Craigslist soon. Better not mess around with haggling if one does come up either, can't imagine it'd last long...

If I have to go back to England I will be coming home with a variant of this :hump:

Attachments

• 130-hcpu.png
    130-hcpu.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 212
By far the best truck on the road is a 2001 Chevy 1500. Truly a once in a lifetime vehicle. I think the ideal one would be a white lifted stepside with the 5.3. They also seem to really start to come in to their own around 180k miles. Women flock to these things...

I know if I was in the market for a new truck, I'd want to hold out and see if something similar pops up on Craigslist soon. Better not mess around with haggling if one does come up either, can't imagine it'd last long...

Holy crap!
Somebody better hop on this quick!

http://missoula.craigslist.org/cto/4271410094.html

Does the current 6.0L in Chevys suck as bad as the same from the 2002-2004 era?

My dad has a 1500HD and the motor is an absolute dog, my 4.7L in my Lexus pulls better. Any of you guys with experience have any thoughts? Was that motor de-tuned for mileage, or better yet is there a chip/kit that can be installed on more recent models (2008-2011) to perk it up a bit?

He wants a new(er) truck (2500 this time), but the tarriff on a diesel might be a bit much, but his current 6.0 sucks so bad he has a hard time justifying it.

I drove a 2005 GMC 2500 with a 6L in it for three years. It was a very good motor, just a little hard on gas.

I have a 2011 GMC 2500 Denali with the 6L. I pull a 10,000lb, 35ft camper with it. The gas milage definitely drops off but it makes it up and down the mountains here in Colorado. They will never pull like a diesel but I drive it around town much more than I tow with it. It will get the job done when I need it and drives like a dream the rest of the time. If I were going to get a new Chevy/GMC 2500, I would wait till next year (later this year) when the 2500's will have all the new changes they put on the 1500's. A lot of common sense went into them.

I don't know anything about diesels or towing, but this is some wise advice, I would read it and re-read it before making a decision.

Being an accountant, I tend to look at things very objectively and analytically.

To really make the decision you need to try to figure out how many miles you will be putting on the truck towing vs. how many miles you will be putting on your truck not towing.

Then decide if you could live with driving 65-70 on the highway instead of 75-80 when you are towing.

We put about 30,000 miles on our truck a year, but only about 3,000 of that is towing with about 2,500 miles of that in one trip each year. Doing the math I couldn't justify a diesel and I can live with driving 65-70 so I actually have a 1/2 ton Chevy. We had a 2005, and towed to Wyoming and back with it for 3 years but just upgraded to a 2012. The new 6 speed transmissions really make a difference towing and the ride when not towing is WAY smoother than the 3/4 tons. I haven't done it yet, but I plan on adding air bags to beef up the suspension when towing on my new truck that we bought this winter before heading to Wyoming pulling out 29' trailer.

Just another thought.

Gotta lift off the 3/4 ford truck body to do much wrenching on the motor from my talks with a mechanic buddy.

Oh, the old Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy debate.

I'll admit I am biased towards the Fords and there is some truth to their bad reputation, but I think it gets blown way out of proportion. Maintenance is a huge issue with the 6.0's. So much of the mechanics of the engine depends on the oil that you have to be vigilant in keeping up with regular service intervals. And when things do break, knowing the correct way to fix them is key. Head studs and EGT and oil cooler upgrades take it from a finicky motor to a reliable piece of machinery.

The only problem I've had out of my 2011 6.7 is the DEF pump had to be replaced. I have 116,000 miles on it right now.

I had a Ford King Ranch F250 Diesel 6.0, one of the lucky ones with the poorly machined blocks that leaked oil from the factory that they refused to acknowledge until they were repeatedly sued over it.

The way Ford treated me with that truck I don't know that I would ever buy another Ford product. Had to get an attorney and take them to court for lemon law purposes.

It all worked out in my favor eventually but the lies Ford told and the lies they had the dealer tell, it was just typical ugly corporate america screw the customer BS. I would be extremely careful in dealing with Ford....at all...ever.

I have owned four Ford trucks, my wife has owned 6 Ford cars/SUV's. Literally not one day in a shop other than scheduled maintenance. Can't argue with that. But, I understand others have not had the same results so love another brand. Yet another guy hates that brand and thinks they're junk.

My advice is to wait three weeks and see what comes out of the North American Auto Show this month.

I drove Chevy 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickups for the Government for over 30 years, getting a new one about every fourth year. Pretty good trucks. However, The transmissions had to be replaced at least every two years, and sometimes twice in a four year period. I was pulling a 20' Boston Whaler several times each week during the summer months. My own truck right now is the new Ford 6.7 diesel - one of the first ones built. We have 78500 miles on it. Much of the time it is pulling a trailer - 3 horse gooseneck and 7X14 cargo trailer. LOTS of power. The radiator and an emissions filter have been replaced by Ford. I agree - the 6.0 and 6.4 engines in the Fords were not very good, and were a mechanics nightmare ! We are very happy with the 6.7. My wife is driving one of the new Ford Eco Boost F150s. That little 6 cylinder motor has HP and torque equal to our old Ford V-10 !!

I've had 150's 1500's and burbs.... never had a bad truck, guess I'm just lucky. Just gas tires and oil.....2012 F 150 is a V 8 gets 23 mpgs on the road. Novel ideas.... don't drive 80 mph hauling schtick..... when it gets over 75,000 go shopping.... let the next guy fix the probs..... punishing your truck is kinda like beating your wife.... ain't gonna end good for you, one way or the other. If you keep having truck trouble don't blame make and model, check the mirror if you brush your teeth. LMAO

Dodge 1500 Hemi's have served us well. Have a '14 on the way and Jr. will buy the '10 I'm coming out of. He has over 250K on my old '04 and it's still in good shape, body, engine, and drive train. The '10 has less than 90K and looks/drives new. We both pull the occasional tandem material trailers loaded and follow a regular maintenence regimen.

Last edited:
Dodge was supposed to come out in 2014 with a 1/2 ton diesel, so was the Nissan Titan. I read the articles on these and your supposed to get great HP, great ride, and great MPG! Have owned both gas and diesel Dodges. Both have been good to me.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back