Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

New Pick up

our fleet bought them because they were cheaper////we would no dought work on all our brands as we have ford,chevs and dodges also,,,but the fords are in the shop the most often,,,,dodge fixed there death wobble on 03 and newer models,,,and fords also are missing there ball joint zerks for greasing too,"whats up with that" all the new models are coming out so called "greasless" on many of there chassis parts,,,doesnt matter what make they are.dodge cummins are still not trouble free as is anything but that is my opinion.the 6.0 litre powerjoke from 2003 to 2008 are junk,,,each and every one.

,,,,dodge fixed there death wobble on 03 and newer models.
Someone better tell that to Goldtip:eek:
http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?p=2309685#post2309685

the 6.0 litre powerjoke from 2003 to 2008 are junk,,,each and every one.
I thought that my 6.0 was a great truck thanks for correcting me on that. Just for fun why was MY 6.0 junk?
I guess your expertise extends far beyond the fleet that you work on....into my own personal fleet.

We obvisly have a difference in opinion.

fords also are missing there ball joint zerks for greasing too,"whats up with that" all the new models are coming out so called "greasless" on many of there chassis parts.

That is unfortunate. Both of mine were very matinence friendly, more zerks than I could count. Those are old trucks now tho.

im sorry elk magnet,i get worked up on these fords sometimes,,,im glad you got lucky with your personel trucks,,,im just saying that is not the norm,,,the 6.0 ford has several big money repairs needed very often,way more than any of the others,so i dont trust that fords new moters are any better than the 6.0...ford made one heck of a awesome truck back in the late 60s and the 70s...the new ones im ashamed of.I own a dodge because it has the cummins engine,,,it is not perfect but nothing is 100% perfect.

gold tips probs could easily be ball joints or wheel brgs,,,hard to tell for sure,,,parts do wear as most of all these newer rigs still need grease in places that they dont put zerks at anymore.could be a host of true causes.

I want to thank everyone for all their advice and input. I have taken it all in. let me clarify one thing on the vehicles I looked at, I looked at all of them and narrowed it down to the chevy or dodge. I did not like the tundra or titan just my personal preference . I went back and looked at the chevy 2500 and dodge bighorn both gassers after taking into account what my accountant (lol) "npaden" said. He in my opinion had very valid points. Now to decide which I want and will more than likely go back and test drive again.

I currently own the LAST Dodge 2500 I will ever own. They suck as far as I'm concerned. Had to replace the transmission at under 100,000 miles and have had it in the shop more times than I can recall for smaller ticket items. At least it riides rough and sucks down the fuel. :rolleyes:

I would and will personally buy a 1/2 Ton Tundra! I bet it holds up better in the end! The reason I bought a 3/4 ton this time was the hope it would hold up to pulling a two horse trailer and a 18 1/2' Jet sled but it hasn't. Pulled the same stuff with a Toyota Tacoma before and NEVER lost a tranny.

now that you got it narrowed down a bit to a gasser,,,Ive been impressed with the new chevys,,,they tend to be pretty trouble free for the most part,,,if you only occationally pull a big load ,it should do ya good,,.

I have owned all 3 makes and Ford by far has been the best and most trouble free. The trouble with a Dodge is that although the motor may be pretty good, it is surrounded by a Dodge.

I also feel some loyalty to Ford for not taking government money. I know a lot of people who have Ford diesels (and i had one not long ago) and other than the 6.0, they have great motors. Stay away from the 6.0 diesel and you will be fine. Actually, the 7.3 Ford diesel is revered by many as the best diesel motor every made, so that cancels out the 6.0!

That said, I own a gasser precisely because of the reasons pointed out...I only tow a small percentage of the time.

I think all 3 manufacturers are missing the boat on diesels....they should make one that has good power and great mileage versus the stable of fantastic power and okay mileage that all 3 currently make. The 7.3 Ford Diesel had plenty of power and still gets better mileage than any of the new ones.

My '77 Ford F350 fwd wth the 351 Cleveland engine is still a great truck, but Ford hasn't made one that beefy since, IMO. I really like my 2005 Dodge RAM 3500, which gets 20-plus mpg when driven sanely.
However, 'just replaced injectors at 132,000 miles to the tune of a pretty penny. I have experienced some minor to-be-expected wear & tear repairs ... it's a truck and used like a truck for hunting, camping, hauling and driving through mud, snow, rocks and major debris. ... but overall I am pleased with this Dodge Cummins and my wife falls asleep in it going down the road, so it's okay for comfort.

im sorry elk magnet,i get worked up on these fords sometimes,,,im glad you got lucky with your personel trucks,,,im just saying that is not the norm,,,the 6.0 ford has several big money repairs needed very often,way more than any of the others,so i dont trust that fords new moters are any better than the 6.0...ford made one heck of a awesome truck back in the late 60s and the 70s...the new ones im ashamed of.I own a dodge because it has the cummins engine,,,it is not perfect but nothing is 100% perfect.
No problem, I figure you may have just finished doing plugs on a 3v 5.4 and needed to blow off some steam.

I understand that the 6.oh and 6.4 had more issues than they should have we can thank international/navistar for that. The new 6.7 are all Ford good or bad(I have no reason to think bad, you?)
I have a hard time finding people who owned the 7.3 who didn't think they were great trucks. My 01 f350 7.3 powerstroke 6speed was a absolute work horse that got 21mpg unloaded and 15mpg towing 30k# of scrap to saltlake at 75mph. I had two chips stacked on it an exhaust and Turbo. It will probably be the best truck I ever own!
I no longer need a real truck so I have a 1/2 ton to hunt out of.

If I had to pick between the Chevy or Dodge I would absolutely pick the Chevy. I personally think they are good trucks. If resale value is a concern look them up the Dodge 3/4 gas trucks depreciate at an alarming rate compared to the competition.

I have a hard time finding people who owned the 7.3 who didn't think they were great trucks.

Well, I am one of those people. I have owned Dodge, Chevy and Ford's. I currently own a 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel, and it has made it so I will never own another Ford again. I have spent over $3000 trying to get it to start correctly. I have had to put in a new manual Tranny. I got the truck with 140,000 miles because everyone told me how rock solid a 7.3 was. Biggest mistake I have ever made on a vehicle. I personally think the HPOP is a bad idea. One point of failure that runs so many critical parts with that much pressure. I can only see that ending badly as it's expensive as hell to replace.

I plan on buying a newer(2010+) Dodge Diesel in the next few weeks. I have to agree though that none of the trucks are 100% good. I just know I am not going to buy a Ford due to my experience with mine.

Well, I am one of those people. I have owned Dodge, Chevy and Ford's. I currently own a 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel, and it has made it so I will never own another Ford again. I have spent over $3000 trying to get it to start correctly. I have had to put in a new manual Tranny. I got the truck with 140,000 miles because everyone told me how rock solid a 7.3 was. Biggest mistake I have ever made on a vehicle. I personally think the HPOP is a bad idea. One point of failure that runs so many critical parts with that much pressure. I can only see that ending badly as it's expensive as hell to replace.

I plan on buying a newer(2010+) Dodge Diesel in the next few weeks. I have to agree though that none of the trucks are 100% good. I just know I am not going to buy a Ford due to my experience with mine.

It definitely happens. You take a risk anytime you buy a 11 year old truck with 140k on it. Like I said diesel trucks are just plain expensive to work on if they break.
Are you searching for a cracked line or bad fitting? Just replacing parts? Me thinks you need a different tech...
Do you tow enough to need the new Diesel? Do you know the cost of an injection pump on the '10 ram? injectors? new turbo? If something breaks its expensive. The good news is the Cummings are easier to work on so you don't need as good of a tech to figure them out. I do like that engine its the truck I cannot bring my self to like. I hope you find a good truck.

It definitely happens. You take a risk anytime you buy a 11 year old truck with 140k on it. Like I said diesel trucks are just plain expensive to work on if they break.
Are you searching for a cracked line or bad fitting? Just replacing parts? Me thinks you need a different tech...
Do you tow enough to need the new Diesel? Do you know the cost of an injection pump on the '10 ram? injectors? new turbo? If something breaks its expensive. The good news is the Cummings are easier to work on so you don't need as good of a tech to figure them out. I do like that engine its the truck I cannot bring my self to like. I hope you find a good truck.

I agree, a 11 y/o truck is always a risk. The tech I have taken my truck to is pretty well known and regarded around the area. Albeit, that is still just people saying they are good, so who truly knows.

I do tow a 30' bumper pull trailer and also have a slide-in camper so these are the reasons for getting a diesel. My trucks don't get many miles during the year, I would say 5000-7000. I have a car for my daily driver. We have an 09 Dodge half ton, and I am much more impressed with the truck that dodge is putting out now days. My ultimate is to have a chevy truck with a cummins engine. I think the Chevy's have the best ride and interior. I'm hoping that buying a a newer truck will cut my trips to the mechanic by a lot!!

On a side note, I have heard good things about all the auto trans in most of the diesels. For you mechanics, do you think they will hold up better than they have in the past? Trying to find a manual tranny seems to be really, really hard now days.

Thanks for the info on this thread guys!

I switched to Ford after having a 2004 Chevy 1/2 ton that had to have 3 trannys put in it in less than 36,000 miles. I have an uncle who has a Chevy duramax 2006 that tows a lot and he has had no issues. I am not biased when it comes to vehicle make. I will stick with Ford unless I have issues then switch to another an so on. I will agree that the 06 Chevy 3/4 ton rides better than 12 Ford.

Last edited:
Does the current 6.0L in Chevys suck as bad as the same from the 2002-2004 era?

My dad has a 1500HD and the motor is an absolute dog, my 4.7L in my Lexus pulls better. Any of you guys with experience have any thoughts? Was that motor de-tuned for mileage, or better yet is there a chip/kit that can be installed on more recent models (2008-2011) to perk it up a bit?

He wants a new(er) truck (2500 this time), but the tarriff on a diesel might be a bit much, but his current 6.0 sucks so bad he has a hard time justifying it.

Does the current 6.0L in Chevys suck as bad as the same from the 2002-2004 era?

My dad has a 1500HD and the motor is an absolute dog, my 4.7L in my Lexus pulls better. Any of you guys with experience have any thoughts? Was that motor de-tuned for mileage, or better yet is there a chip/kit that can be installed on more recent models (2008-2011) to perk it up a bit?

He wants a new(er) truck (2500 this time), but the tarriff on a diesel might be a bit much, but his current 6.0 sucks so bad he has a hard time justifying it.

Yeah. I have the 6.0 Vortec Max in my silverado.... tuned up a bit with a Bully Dog GT GAS. I think it pulls pretty damn good for a gasser. The 1/2 tons now have a 6.2l witha 6 spd tranny. 3/4 tons still have the 6.0 4spd pairing. the 1/2 ton with the max trailering package will far exceed most peoples payload needs.... especially with how light the trailers are getting now compared to 20 years ago.

my shop truck is a 2012 chev 6.0 vortec gasser 3/4ton and so far it has impressed me and is very nice...even still has a manual shifter for the 4wd still."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back