New or used InReach?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20812
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20812

Found a year old Garmin InReach SE+ local for $225. I can buy a new one from Costco for $289 plus tax, so about $315 total.

I don’t know much about these. I would assume a good used one has a lot of life left in it?

So, new or used?

I wouldn't be scared of the old one. IMO/E it's not really perishable technology. That said, my inReach is old enough I still have to carry a Delorme GPS to be able to type!

Old or new. No difference w/ unit operation.
I have the delorme version (pre Garmin ) and it works just as good the day I bought it. May be something based on warranty worth more $. Also factory reset to clear out all prior contact, prests, etc? 80$... I might go new. If $150... I'd buy old. 😄

Tell the guy $200 or buy new.

I’ve got a couple year old Garmin 64s (I know, not the same utility as an InReach) that was used twice and I can’t get any takers for less than half what I paid for it on sale.

You can get them refurbished for like $230. I give the local guy $200 and if he wont take $200 I'd but new.

I think for the extra 80 I'd go new pretty cheap life insurance policy. That being said if the person half ass took care of it in sure the used one is fine to. With how little I actually use mine I'm sure the seller has a lot of life left in it.

Found a year old Garmin InReach SE+ local for $225. I can buy a new one from Costco for $289 plus tax, so about $315 total.

I don’t know much about these. I would assume a good used one has a lot of life left in it?

So, new or used?
I have two of the older Delorme Inreach SE models, I bought one used about 6 years ago and the other I bought new before that, the only issue I had with the used one is you have to make sure the previous owner deletes their account completely, including on the device, app and website or it'll give you fits trying to get it up and running, both have performed very well over the years (my son and I use them A LOT) until yesterday the used one gave up on me, or at least i think it did, still waiting for Garmin support.
That being said, I would agree with the EYJONAS! that for a little bit more you get a new one, plus the newer Garmin version has a bigger screen, and a couple more features. But I had good luck with mine and I may be buying a new one myself, I'm just trying to decide between the Explorer or the new Garmin 66i, which is considerably more expensive but has a ton of other stuff like detailed mapping, true navigation, and you can put an Onx chip in it, good luck.

Garmin has a sale right now on their InReach Explorer + its $350($100 OFF), but you get TOPO maps and some additional sensors.

My wife'd have a cow if she knew I was buying a used life safety beacon, so her vote would be for new!

Man, seems like back in the day buying used stuff meant u were getting a steep discount. Now people shave 15-20% off and call it good (or more than new items if u shop hard enough). I'd go new in this case.

I've had the SE for a handful of years now and have never had any issues. Which ever route you go it's a win.

Assuming that it was taken care of (and you negotiate the price down), I'm sure the old will work fine. I also have a delorme se version (pre-Garmin), it has worked just fine for me over the last 5+ years.

At just a year old the battery should still be good, that would be my primary concern with used. I'd offer less and see what happens myself.

I think the topo maps suck on the Explorer +. I also don't like the GPS functionality of it. If you are planning to use it as a communicator only then no worries or get the mini. I just bought the Garmin 66i which is a communicator and good GPS. Pretty happy with it so far. The OnX chip works in the 66i too.

Back