MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

New Mexico Pronghorn - Act II

Very exciting stuff!! Sounds like a fun stalk and great footage. Good luck tomorrow guys. Can't wait to hear the next report.

I don't think I will be able to sleep for the next four days either. Can't wait to see the pics of the final results. Keep it real fellas!

I am sitting here watching Bugler on the stalk of his lifetime. This is way too exciting.

On Friday we saw a really big buck we estimated to be 86"-87". He was on private, so we haven't been paying much attention to him. Well, it has rained pretty much all day today, wiping out all our other plans. So, we decided to go and see if this big buck, or his running buddy could be located. We had not more than got here and Bingo, there he was, grazing in the really tall clover about a half mile away.

He has bedded and you cannot even see his horns from where I am. Bugler and Troy made a big loop to get down wind. They are now within what looks like 100 yards of ground zero. I can see Troy back about 75 yards with the tripod up and the camera running.

Bugler is on his hands and knees easing forward into the wind. All I can see is the top of the Be The Decoy hat. He has not moved for a long time, so I think he is waiting out the buck and hoping he will stand. The grass is so tall, I am not sure what kind of a shot he will have.

If he shoots this buck, you will see why he has been so picky. It is huge, with great mass, great prongs, and well over 16" tall. Unless we have badly misjudged, this will be a real whopper.

The sun is now out, and it is getting intensely hot and humid. The flies and gnats have found me and I suspect, have found Bugler and Troy.

This morning, in a quick interruption from the rain, we saw a really nice buck. Bugler deferred, so I volunteered. I was getting very close. There were some cattle that were giving me some cover and letting me close the distance completely unnoticed.

All of a sudden, the cows started running like crazy. I looked and two bull elk were running down the fence line toward us. As the cows took off, so did the antelope. I was at 48 yards and waiting for the cows to move, and did not have a shot. Or least not a shot that would have not endangered some livestock. Who has ever had an antelope stalk interrupted by two bull elk? Me.

Coverage sucks here. I have lost my connection three times while trying to post this. I will try to stay logged on and give an update of how Bugler's stalk ends. They have not moved for over a half hour.

The wind just picked up and started swirling. I saw two bucks get up around Bugler. Not sure if it is the good one, or not. Too far away for me to see. He and Troy are talking. Not sure if they are going a different direction and these were just two bucks that were in their way.

Ooops, they are now coming toward me, so I suspect something went afoul. Damn it. I will want to hear this story. Well, maybe I don't.

Randy,

That is awesome glad it is sort of working for you...thanks for all the plugs! I am done in MT! Still waiting on Mark and Joe to get in cell service to see how they did. I got both my doe and buck on video! Again, it sounds like you are doing it right, you are hunting much larger goats than I. Good luck!

Thanks for the updates Big Fin. Almost make it as if we were watching the action with you. It's too early for IDBugler to score. He always waits til the last minute.

your getting me pumped!! 3 more days and a lucky 9 year old goes out on the prowl in NM!!

The rest of the day was a bust. Sorry we did not post last night. Just so tired that I can hardly stand up. This hunting stuff is too much work.

It is raining like crazy this morning. Hoping it will stop soon. The forecast does not look good. Feel like I am hunting blacktails on the Olympic Peninsula rather than antelope on the plains of New Mexico, with all this rain.

Bugler and Troy had too much coffee or something. They are chattering and bouncing around like the Energizer bunny. I just need a nap.

Time to sign off and get a buck on the ground.

A friend shot a great buck yesterday. Look forward to him posting pics of that beast.

Bugler is on deck, ready to put down an 84".

Troy said he wants to be famous by filming the biggest archery antelope on TV. Bugler said a good start would be to quit screwing up all our stalks. :).

I've got spotty service at my current location so I thought I would update you guys. Fin just had an encounter with a very nice buck. He snuck into 200 yards and buck snorted. He came in on a string and stopped at 69 yards. Just out of range.

I went down the road to do some recon work and found a buck we called hooker in a stalkable position. I ran and picked up randy and he is now 150 yards from the buck doing his best to look like an antelope. The buck looks interested so hopefully this will be the one.

I will post more as it happens as long as I have service.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back