Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Muleys - Looks pretty tough

Thanks for the story Fin, I sure have enjoyed reading along. Good Luck to you and your brother in CO. Looking forward to following another great hunt...

Sorry to here it was so tough Randy. Weather dependent hunts can be tough if the animals aren't cooperating. Good luck in Co.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Mr Big.

I had much the same experience one week earlier. Spent over a week up there and not one single buck seen. Saw some killer elk though. Were they still bugling and sparring for you?

I thought the weather we had the last two days would start them down for your hunt. Guess I was wrong about that.

But, hey, there's always next year......right?

NM10006.jpg

Wow! That was a real eye opener. We stuck it out till the twilight faded on the last inning but nothing but does and a few forkies. We hiked our arses off! It sure is a bummer to hunt that hard and not even get a chance to chamber a round. Apparently my family is just doomed on migration hunts. Wife had the montana super tag for bison in 08 and that was the first year in history i think that the bison never migrated out of the park. So, guess thats just par for us to have a deer migration happen 3-4 weeks behind schedule.

Did get to spend a little time with a couple locals who really knew the unit and helped us out. You can bet the next time i ever draw, if i ever draw, i will be calling ahead of time to find out status of migration before i come.

Hell, i could have likely had an elk and deer down in Montana in that amount of time:) I did see a 350 class bull though that would have been hammered if i had an elk tag......

thanks fin for the info and hunt on this,,I drew this same unit hunt for the 2011 season muzzleloader,2b new mex,if there are any of you out there with any tips on this unit Im searchin for anything I can find out about it,muzz hunt is sept 24th to 30th so i doubt there will be any migration started yet.

My Wyoming buddy drew the 2b rifle hunt and the dates are 11/5-11/9. I'm going to tag along so he has an extra set of eyes and we are hoping by then that the deer start coming down into the unit from CO. Any tips any of you could share here for our hunt would be greatly appreciated. We may end up having an expert local guy that lives on the Ute Reservation guide us if he has the time open. I need to call him to get the ball rolling on at least doing some scouting for us before we get there, if not actually doing the guiding bit. I guess it really takes a lot of scouting and knowledge of that unit to get a good resident buck if the weather hasn't started the migration down from CO.

just got back today,,,stuck out on early season 2b muzz but learned alot,,,if anybody wants some info on n m 2 b, give me a shout.

found that there are few resident deer to be found,,,hunt is very migrational depending on colorado snows coming in,,,alot of other hunters had little luck during the sept muzz hunt,,,only heard of 1, 3point shot,.

new mexico 2 b is way overrated///only seen 5 does in 6 full days of hunting,,,was highly dissapointed in the deer numbers on this september hunt.

Back