Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Mexico Muleys - Looks pretty tough

Big Fin.... Although I'm excited that IDBUGLER is coming on O-Towns hunt Monday and Tuesday, Maybe you should buy him a Plane ticket and fly him down there . He'd take you right to them. I think he has that place dialed in. That, or Browtine. But they will have to blindfold you........

Good luck, It's a hot one this year for sure !!! Global warming ? ....It's Bushes fault. :p

Good luck Guys. I sent you a pm with some info. I'll be out of commission for a few days watching 2 big bucks go down but will hopefully return with some pics added to this thread.

Fear the Fro!!!!!

Man, this is getting to be a tough hunt. Spotted 12 does this morning, but no bucks. Crittergetter and Rich reported pretty much the same thing. Among us all, we are covering a lot of ground and a lot of different options.

Went into Dulce, NM and got gas this afternoon. Figured since we were there, we may as well grab a bite to eat. Came out and someone had stolen the hitch off the receiver of my truck. WTH? I am still pissed. Now I have to run 90 miles into Farmington and 90 miles back, sometime during this hunt, just so I can tow my camp out of here.

This evening we tried Bugler hot spot, but is wasn't as hot as I had hoped. Saw 17 does and two little forkies. Those forkies are lucky the folks in this campground didn't see them, as there is a forkie hanging from most meat poles here in the campground.

Tomorrow is a long hike. Will take 45 minutes to drive to the location and another 45 minutes to walk to our glassing spot. Gonna spend the entire day in there. Good news is that I don't have a hitch for someone to steal while my truck is parked at the trailhead.

Sorry the posts are so brief. Getting back late every night then up early every morning makes for long days.

Hope to have some pics to show tomorrow.

I remember my brother doing a landscape job in Vegas. He had dug the holes for the plants and set them in the holes and took a break for lunch. We he got back someone took every plant that he had set out. I can't stand thieves. Take out your aggression on a forkie tomorrow.;)

Hang in there guys. The lack of migration certainly hurts but there are still a few around is the word on the street. ;)

Bummer about the hitch. If you make it to Dulce again, Chama is only 25 miles down the road and they have a number of stores where you should find a replacement.

Saw 24 deer this morning. One 2X3 and one 4X4. I think the 4X4 was really a forkie on 'roids. He was only 18" wide and not very tall. Yet he was enough to get us on high alert that something better could be nearby. False alarm.

Walked back out of the mesa and decided to head to Bloomfield in search of a hitch. Also had not eaten a DQ Raspberry truffle blizzard since Friday, so that serve as another good reason to head to town. In fact, if the hitch was not stolen I was still considering the 140 mile round trip, just for DQ.

Went to Auto Zone. Lady seemed really well versed on hitches. We told her what happened. She laughed and said, "You left your hitch in the receiver and didn't lock it in your truck? What did you expect?"

She went on to explain that hitches and other things easily detached from vehicles are a form of currency in this part of the world. That explains why she was so versed in hitch lingo. Stupid me.

By the time we got back from town, we only had about an hour and a half for the evening hunt. So, we just walked down one of the gated roads about a mile north of camp. Saw one deer. A deer we would have shot if we could have properly identified him as a buck prior to shooting light passing.

He had his head behind a bunch of trees and was not a real big body. But, being he was alone, I expected it was a buck. Sure enough, as I climbed the ridge to get a view above the trees, he was a buck. Not very wide, probably around 20", but heavy and a good 3X3 with cool back forks. And one of the back forks forked, making him a 4X3. Just a buck with lots of cool character. I would have shot him due to the really dark horns, the good mass, and the way the backs split.

Mark tried to line up on him, but the angle was to obscured by brush. I tried to get a comfortable shot, but it was just not something I was willing to do. By the time he emerged a little more, it was five minutes after legal shooting light. New Mexico has the rule of "half hour before sunrise to sunset" as the shooting hours. Most other states give you a half hour each side of sunrise/set. We still had filming light, even though legal shooting light was over.

I would like to think the buck will be on the hillside tomorrow, but the random nature of these deer makes me doubt it. But, since he is the first decent deer we have seen, I suspect we will go and look for him tomorrow.

Gotta run. Troy just made a batch of his world class spaghetti with antelope meat sauce. I ain't missin' that.

More tomorrow.

Good luck tomorrow. You're getting closer.

I hear that NM may be changing that sunset rule next year to mirror most other states.

You're eating DQ and all I got was oatmeal? Something aint right with that. Might have to have the helicopter drop off some blizzards next time:D

You're eating DQ and all I got was oatmeal? Something aint right with that. Might have to have the helicopter drop off some blizzards next time:D
all man! All you had to do is ask. We had way to much food. Ice cream, t-bones, breakfast ham, black forest ham, gin and juice, miller beer, pork chops, and way to many mountain houses and mres. I know what to drop on your camp next time.

Way to stay with it, guys. Not to derail too much, but man I love DQ blizzards! Do they still put crack on their fries for seasoning? I could never get enough of those tasty bastards!

when hunting in NM, I chase down a couple blakes lottaburgers with double green chile along the way. Admittedly they have nothing with 'truffle' in the name on the menu, though:rolleyes:

Fin puts this on his hitch, then wonders why it gets taken?

Attachments

• 410A2287WxL__SS400_.jpg
    410A2287WxL__SS400_.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 964
all man! All you had to do is ask. We had way to much food. Ice cream, t-bones, breakfast ham, black forest ham, gin and juice, miller beer, pork chops, and way to many mountain houses and mres. I know what to drop on your camp next time.
You forgot the Chocolate Milk, Oreos, Pork Steak, and Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back