New Mexico Muleys - Looks pretty tough

You forgot the Chocolate Milk, Oreos, Pork Steak, and Buffalo Wild Wings Asian Zing.

You guys didn't happen to have some Hooters chicks with ya as well? I'd be down with that ;)

Almost sounds like a Texas hunt :D

Just kidding NHY

Starting to hear of some nice bucks being seen and shot down there. Sounds like the big boys are moving in. I'm sure reports will get better every day.

I have quit counting the number of does we see each year. Pretty easy to count the number of bucks we saw today - ZERO.

Talked to a lot of other hunters today. Funny, well not really funny, to hear how many have yet to see a buck of any sort,

Still the rumors of a big buck here or there, but the biologist says he has checked next to nothing for deer and most are year and a half old forkies. Wouldn't want to be a resident deer in this unit in a year when the migration does not happen. They get hammered.

On the bright side, the weather continues to be fantastic......for fishing.

Tomorrow is the last day. I really have no idea how to proceed. To find a buck requires the effort of being in the hills, but as far as strategy, I don't think it makes any difference. You see a ton of deer, but no bucks. Just where you find these bucks seems to be pretty random and a whole lot of luck.

Will luck finally shine on us tomorrow? Who knows.

Crittergetter and Rich have hunted harder than any guys can. They have yet to see a four point buck. They went to a completely different part of the unit today, so hopefully they found something worth all their efforts.

Here is my toast to one more fun day of hunting and hopefully a buck.

Randy has had some pretty clutch moments in the late innings this fall. I suspect we may get a happy update in the late hours tomorrow.

Happy endings are not just for massage tables, I'm told.

BigFin..... Any left over luck I have I'm sending your way. Sounds like a Brutal year. You can';t knock it out of the park every time, but keep trying. Hope you do tomorrow !!!!!

It's getting close to the last hour. I've got a good feeling about thier hunt.

Well, I wish I could say we pulled off another ninth inning miracle. Not the case. Lots of you guys offered some great advice, great spots, and great ideas. We tried all of them, but to no avail.

This morning was a great morning to be in the woods. Nice and crisp, with temps in the 20's. The does thought the same thing. Lots of them running around. The bucks were absent. The last two days of the hunt, we did not see a single buck. Not due to lack of effort.

Maybe we are poor hunters or maybe it was just bad luck. Either way, it takes a lot of mental fortitude to keep looking and hiking when you are not seeing any bucks. I think Crittergetter and Rich probably can attest to the difficulty of this hunt when the migration has not yet started.

Some hunts are not meant to be. We had more than our share of challenges on this hunt. Time lost to go buy a new hitch, a broken camera this morning that cut short our best hours of the last day, an oil/gas helicopter that decided to land near where we had set our plans for an evening hunt, really hot weather with no migration.

Such is the way hunting goes. We have had more than our share of good luck this season, so it was only a matter of time before we ran into one of these hunts where nothing seems to go right and no amount of effort or skill will overcome the odds you face. But if we don't go, we don't know. And if we don't fight through the difficult hunts, the rewards of successful hunts would not be nearly as sweet.

A couple big bucks are always killed on this hunt. How those guys do it, I am not sure, but credit to them for pulling it off. Wish we would have been one of those lucky tagholders.

Glad to have spent this time with Mark (Still Kickin' here on Hunt Talk). We have fished together many times and he is always a blast to be around. He gives every effort, whether in the field or around camp. And as usual, Troy was there capturing the events for TV, though this hunt probably will test his talents to the far limits. Thanks for all your time and help, guys. Wish we had more to show for a hard effort.

On to Colorado for Over The Counter elk with my brother, Jason (Log Dawg here on Hunt Talk). Weather looks to be more of the same, so I expect that to be an equally difficult hunt.

I can also attest to the difficulty of this hunt as we had the same outcome a week prior. I still don't know how to hunt that country. Way to stick with it and give your best effort fellas. I am thinking a lot of tag soup is happening in NM this year.

Bummer, I was rooting for you big fin. Best of luck in CO. My neese just got back from elk hunting down there. They had a good hunt. Hope you guys do the same.

Sounds like you guys gave it everything you had and definetly pounded the ground. Hopefully I can find a giant in 2C on the January Archery Hunt, but I think I'll leave the hitch at home!!
Good luck in Colorado

Deffiantly enjoyed reading your last two hunts fin. Congrats on your bull in MT and good luck in CO

Thanks for taking us along for the ride! I sure enjoy hearing about the hunt. Your show is the real deal and the real deal means an empty plate some times. We sure enjoy hearing about the efforts anyway!!!

Welcome back to the real world. Hopefully another streak will come to an end this week too. It would be great if I didn't have to waste a Sunday watching Favre crap the bed yet again. Wait, you're a Vikings fan aren't you? Oops. Good luck in Colorado.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back