Yeti GOBOX Collection

New knife... need opinions please

TM0218

Hey everyone, I’m looking for a new knife for this hunting season. I’m hoping for something that will serve as a do-all knife (skinning, gutting, quartering, utility). I’m between a fixed blade Gerber gator, Gerber Vital, and the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite. I like the idea of not having to sharpen a blade but I’m hesitant about the durability of the replaceable blades. Any opinions are welcome!

I use the outdoor edge razor with the zip it combo. I really like that combo. The handle is orange so it's not easily lost.

Hey everyone, I’m looking for a new knife for this hunting season. I’m hoping for something that will serve as a do-all knife (skinning, gutting, quartering, utility). I’m between a fixed blade Gerber gator, Gerber Vital, and the Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite. I like the idea of not having to sharpen a blade but I’m hesitant about the durability of the replaceable blades. Any opinions are welcome!

Those are all fine if you already have a good knife to carry in your pack. I prefer a good fixed blade knife with a good blade, full tang, and no-slip handle. Something that will hold up in a survival situation if you have to hit the back with a rock to drive it through bone or wood. Buck Knives, Gerber, Kershaw all make some well made inexpensive knives for this purpose. There are some great looking knives on the market and they are fine in most cases but get one you can use as a tool to put in your pack. Then get one of the above for a hip knife for everyday chores. Just my opinion...

If you have money to spend I like bark river knives. I bought one for my son's birthday and it's the best blade I've ever used. I'd put it's edge after butchering against any replacement blade. I shaved with it after last season without sharpening first. Outstanding quality. Santa clause brought me one coincidentally.

If I was going cheap I still find Buck to be a good knife in any model.

I'm just not a fan of replacement blade knives for various reasons.

I’ve used the Outdoor edge and it’s worked fine, as has a havalon. I like the replaceable blades but carry a leatherman as well. I think the combo of the leatherman and a replaceable blade knife is the way to go.

I'm not real big on the replacement blade style of knives. I have used them but it seems like fat and gristle gets stuck everywhere in them.

I like to use a good fixed 440 stainless or crucible steel knife. Get one with a nice shoulder and you can hammer it through the pelvis. Buck knives are good, as are benchmade. Pick up a Ken Onion Worksharp sharpener to go with it. Once you get a good edge on a steel like that you will be burning through multiple elk before your next sharpening.

Recently got the Gerber vital and replacement blade knives are not for me. Like others I prefer a fixed blade for skinning. I carry two Outdoor Edge knives for that. If one gets a little dull or someone doesn't have a sharp one (everyone in my family) then toss them a knife. My pocket knife is a buck spit fire. I've bought it probably 4 times now due to my own negligence. I has been a good everyday tool that is comfortable in a pocket, has a strong tight clip, and has a well shaped blade that has cleaned big and small game.

Not matter what blade you have, the worksharp knife and tool sharpener is the way to go. Just touch up the blade every now and then.

I have used the replaceable blade knives and they work OK. I always sharpen the extra blades, as they really are not that sharp out of the box. The only time I replace them, is if I break one. They are not great steel, and so sharpen very easily. That being said, I have no problem sharpening knives and so prefer a good, stout knife to do the work. Replaceable blades are great, if you don't like to sharpen knives. There are lots of good knives and you don't have to spend a ton. A good Buck is a great one, for an over-the-counter reasonable knife. I like knives made of S30V, or D2, but the cheaper steel is fine, too, as long as you have a diamond stone along.

Yeah I definitely am not a fan of sharpening. The idea of a leatherman and a replaceable sounds pretty decent considering I have one already, albeit a smaller version

I never liked to sharpen either, but then I decided to spend a few months mastering it. It really pays for itself quick. Kitchen knives, hunting knives, hatchets, wood working tools... all diamond sharp. I smile just thinking about it.

I have to recommend the Benchmade steep country as a great all around knife. I bought one when they came out and so far so good, only complaint is the sheath could be better. Sent it back to Benchmade for the first time this spring, great customer service and it came back shaving sharp (well worth the $8 shipping fee). The orange handle isn't very pretty but it sure is easy to keep up with. May or may not have had to buy this thing after laying my previous knife in the field...

Buy a worksharp from northern tool and follow the directions in the packaging and you will be well on your way. There are a few nuances after that like honing and stropping but that can wait for later.

I've been using a Havalon piranta for years now and love them. Yeah you break blades occasionally but just switch them out. Easy peasy. Never have to worry about sharpening again. You can even buy bulk replacement blades on amazon for cheap. I have even used the size 22 blades and although they are shorter they still work good. Even quick quartered two elk with one blade. I use it for everthing. Except skinning half frozen critters. Its not impossible to use the scalpel blades but a good fixed blade works better, if sharp.

there are many fine knives if you want to spend a fortune. randall , Cutco, to name a couple but my go to is still my trusty oltimer 60t. it has skun many a kill, holds edge well, easy to sharpen when it becomes necessary , they are very inexpensive and folds up to about 5-6 inches .I generally carry it in my back pocket when hunting but it did come with a belt sheath also

Last edited:
Benchmade, have a fixed and folder. Also got a Havalon for the kill kit this year, we’ll see. I like a solid knife with some heft to it.
What are you planning on using it on? Big difference between a squirrel and an elk.

Benchmade, have a fixed and folder. Also got a Havalon for the kill kit this year, we’ll see. I like a solid knife with some heft to it.
What are you planning on using it on? Big difference between a squirrel and an elk.
the havalons have their place for sure . they are nice for skinning. they are sharp and it's nice to be able to replace a blade easily , in the field if it does get dull. but I agree, A bit heftier blade is a must.

that said , I don't particularly care for most of the thicker blade knives either.that's what I like about mty oldtimer . it falls in the happy medium.

On the cheaper side I recommend the outdoor edge swingblaze... won’t break your bank and the zipper blade on that thing is the cats meow for unzipping an elk

Yeah I guess I should’ve mentioned a price range. I would like to spend less than $40, and it’ll most be used on white tails and hogs. It’s tough because replaceable blades and regular knives all have pros and cons. I love the idea of not having to sharpen a knife but I also like some durability

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back