New knife... need opinions please

Yeah I guess I should’ve mentioned a price range. I would like to spend less than $40, and it’ll most be used on white tails and hogs. It’s tough because replaceable blades and regular knives all have pros and cons. I love the idea of not having to sharpen a knife but I also like some durability
Join the RMEF and get a free one! (y) Well worth it...

i carry a cold steel pendleton lite hunter and havalon piranta and mini leatherman. i would think couple hundred animals have been recycled with that combo, outddor razor lites. get fat in them cant hardly get blades out,,, any of the custom fixed blades i own wont do anything the cold steel dont do, gerber isnt near as good as the havalon, also few hundred game birds and chikens get taken apart with my combo,,,
just one guys thoughts,,,,

I never liked to sharpen either, but then I decided to spend a few months mastering it. It really pays for itself quick. Kitchen knives, hunting knives, hatchets, wood working tools... all diamond sharp. I smile just thinking about it.
LOL. It only took me about 30 years to figure it out. I started out with a Lansky system, with mixed results and also used a number of cheap bs sharpeners over the years. What I tell people, is to get a knife that you don't mind messing up a little to learn on. Get a diamond steel and start off like you are trying to shave a small layer off of the steel. With a bit of practice, you will get the feel and the angle of it and be able to tell when you are getting the right effect. It is really not very difficult, but just takes practice to get the right feel for how much pressure on the blade etc. A diamond steel is the best, in my opinion, because it even works on the harder steels, whereas, the standard stones will take much longer.

I, too, believe that it really pays off, to learn how to sharpen. Like I said before, even a cheap knife will work real well, if you carry a DMT folding diamond steel, or something in your pack to touch up the blade. That being said, I like knives that have good enough steel to make it through an entire animal without sharpening.

I have a custom--made knife of D-2 steel that has been on many mountain excursions, along with a couple over-the-counter good ones, too. At home, or near the truck, I have no problem using one of numerous cheap knives that I have received over the years.

So I think I’m leaning towards a replaceable blade. But now I’m between Havalon and Gerber, thoughts? The only advantage I see to the Havalon are the various blade options. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Youtube is a great resource for learning to sharpen knives. I don't like replaceable blades as a concept, and this scouting season found my first used blade left on the ground at a camp site. Probably not on purpose mind you, but it was there.

To each their own, but learning how to sharpen a knife, and carrying a good one just seems the more practical option to me than having to keep up with replacements, before and after use.

So I think I’m leaning towards a replaceable blade. But now I’m between Havalon and Gerber, thoughts? The only advantage I see to the Havalon are the various blade options. Is that correct?
The gerber vital "big game" has a larger handle and blade than the standard vital. Also, comes with drop and rounded point blades. I have a Morakniv Companion stainless knife in my kill kit for cutting meat and quarters off the carcass. You never want to use a whetstone on a knife with a fine edge. I also have a 6 inch ceramic steel in my kill kit. You will appreciate the ceramic steel in the field with a gunked up knife. I have seen videos demonstrating the gutless method where they are hacking away with dull knives. A dull knife is not only alot more work but dangerous as well.

I use two fixed handle knives. One a flexible-blade, small fillet model. The other, a drop point 4" blade thing.
Those two blades have only two requirements:
1. Must have orange handles - guess why.....
2. Must not hurt TOO bad if lost (in the case requirement #1 fails to prevent the hurt felt at the occurrence of the situation #2)

Guess how I arrived at the two requirements.......................................................

I use two fixed handle knives. One a flexible-blade, small fillet model. The other, a drop point 4" blade thing.
Those two blades have only two requirements:
1. Must have orange handles - guess why.....
2. Must not hurt TOO bad if lost (in the case requirement #1 fails to prevent the hurt felt at the occurrence of the situation #2)

Guess how I arrived at the two requirements.......................................................
Been there before. My current knife is now hot pink, haha.

Learned to sharpen a knife from my Grandpa ,then worked at a fish company & really learned quick. I sharpen all my woodworking tools too.
I still use the Uncle Henry folder I have had 40 yrs, several other skinner & gutters. All real sharp.
Got a Gerber BG Vital a couple years ago on BF advice. Love it for some breakdown work.
I have lots of knives...............

As a public land hunter conservationist, I have always wondered how many disposable blades end up in the garbage after use. Or worse, left in the field.
And I also like to lay claim to a sharp edge.
FWIW............

Man you guys aren’t kidding. This is almost like I asked what the best caliber is. It’s nice to have everyone so willing to offer advice though

Hey it’s true! You get some people that ask for opinions... if the opinion matches what they already have in mind haha

I never leave home without my spyderco. I just clip it inside my front pants pocket. I cut up all of my own game. For serious butchering I have a set of Forschner knives. I am not much of a collector. I like to get good quality stuff and then use the hell out of it. Anyone out there that doesn't own a Buck110? 😁

Yeah I guess I should’ve mentioned a price range. I would like to spend less than $40, and it’ll most be used on white tails and hogs. It’s tough because replaceable blades and regular knives all have pros and cons. I love the idea of not having to sharpen a knife but I also like some durability

I skinned 3 pigs with these 2 knifes on Sunday. Sharpened them with the knife and tool sharpener. Then deboned and cubed most of the meat. This season will be my 4th year using them and haven't found a need to change yet.

I use a Kershaw game blade changer. Gives me all three knives and they hold edge well.

Tried all the fancy razor blades. I am knife guy and know how to shrapen a knife so for me they dont work.

Back