Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Dare I ask???

CTELK83

Hey All, So just like any gear question… I’m sure there are multiple #1s…. But I am in the market for a new knife. Would like a knife for hitting deer and field dressing an elk. What knives do people like or don’t like??
I just have cheaper >$50 knives and the blades just don’t hold an edge long at all. I have to sharpen multiple times when doing an elk.

It’s normal to “steel“ up a good knife with a sharp blade multiple times. But it is a hassle to use a knife with an inferior edge because they won’t stay sharp. This is my solution:

1) Gerber Vital Big Game - use the round blades to get the cape off

2) Morakniv with 4.1” stainless blade (most everything)

3) MoraKniv with 5.8” carbon steel blade (Quarters and back straps)

i use a 6 inch ceramic steel and a 3 inch sharpening stone. Moras stay sharp.

I highly recommend getting an orange handle and sheath for the Moras. I debone at camp so I can get the meat into coolers. Once I get the meat home I use Forschener knives to get the buterfly chops, steaks and roasts cut up.

Gerber EBS (Randy Newberg Exchange Blade System) has worked great for myself and my son/son in law. Three blades, and razor sharp. One blade does a full deer/antelope, and I suppose an elk without touchup, but we do use the serrated blade for the "tougher" cuts and joint work. This keeps the long and shorter blades for finer work. And you can buy replacement blades if your sharpening skeeeelz stink. And furthermore, this is a very sturdy blade strength, this isn't a Vital or Havalon scalpel blade system with fracture potential.

I like the Morakniv’s for the money. Hold an edge reasonably well, good blade shape, and you don’t cry if you lose one in the woods.

I’m also a fan of the Buck 102. Holds an edge well, good size and shape

I’ve never owned a knife that cost more than $60 or so

Once I down an elk I don’t want to fight with dull blades or replacing blades for that matter. With the Gerber vital usually one blade or two will take off the cape. I use Kevlar gloves underneath heavy duty Nitrile disposable gloves. Using the steel once in a while isn’t a problem with the gloves on.

Once I down an elk I don’t want to fight with dull blades or replacing blades for that matter. With the Gerber vital usually one blade or two will take off the cape. I use Kevlar gloves underneath heavy duty Nitrile disposable gloves. Using the steel once in a while isn’t a problem with the gloves on.
What Kevlar gloves do you wear?

I have an Outdoor Edge Razor Pro and a Havalon Piranta. Like them both, but like the Razor Pro a little more.

Whatever brand you get make sure they are food grade level 5. I wear them under the nitrile gloves. I have had these gloves for 4 seasons now and no holes at all. When i get home I soak them in dawn and hot water to get the grease off, then pop them in the washing machine. I air dry them. Look like new.

At home I use a stainless steel mesh glove, which is heavy and expensive but they work.

I’ve gone back and forth with replaceable blade knives. I’ve just used a knives of Alaska cub bear for my hunting needs over the last few years Simple, durable and holds an edge. Works for my needs.

I love this knife!

Attachments

• 75091D97-3BA9-405E-B619-41A5E868E9D5.jpeg
    75091D97-3BA9-405E-B619-41A5E868E9D5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 485C2813-AD45-4A03-9545-7F22E012FC98.jpeg
    485C2813-AD45-4A03-9545-7F22E012FC98.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
I've become a fan of the buck knives with s30v steel. Did three deer this past year with my 112 without sharpening. They are tough to sharpen but hold an edge for a while.

I recently went to a replaceable. The first year was tough, but after you learn how to use them they are pretty efficient. I also carry a fixed blade for breaking down legs and removing the head. mtmuley

What do you do with the old blades? Bring with you and dispose?
For the Outdoor Edge?
I'm a tightwad. I bring them home and resharpen them later on some long winter night. I've been using my original purchase of 12 blades for years.
I can get ton of blades in the sheath plus the one in the knife.

Having said that - If I were just buying now for the first time I would get the BigFin Signature Gerber. Using the "RANDY" code online gets you a discount.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back