Dare I ask???

Bench made saddle mountain skinner is probably my favorite fixed blade I’ve used in years past. I do most work with an outdoor edge though. Can get through a deer with one blade, on an elk I usually need two.

I know Buck Knives aren’t the best knives out there but they are good enough. Both times that I’ve sent products back to Buck Knives they have honored their forever warranty and sent me a replacement.

I have pretty much reduced myself to a Havalon and a few Bucks.

Here’s the thing: I need a knife to last one animal. I use the Buck to bust up the heavy stuff…the Havalon I use like the scalpel it is.

Personal favorites?

Buck Mini-Vanguard 3.5” (*was a Cabela’s special…not in production anymore!)
Buck 105 Pathfinder (I just really like it…but truth is, it really is a bit too long)
Buck 102 Pro. Yeah, kinda in the “juuust right” category. It’s just so tiny in so many ways…and yet, so perfect.

I’ve got a box full of knives…I really should sell them. Buck Mini-Alpha’s, a 110, a 113 Ranger (Cabela‘s Alaskan Special)…even a couple of Arno Bernards (Yep, cleaned deer with them too).

The Havalon is so light and easy to use…I love it. Such a great little knife…I have even split a breastplate with it. If you follow the cartilage Of the rib cage just right you can split the chest in a snap. (*Or break the blade…)

For what it’s worth, I always keep a large Leatherman handy…so that‘s another set of blades to work with if I need Them.

If I were sheep hunting or dependent on weight, I’d take the Leatherman and the Havalon.

somehow

I've used a Havalon Piranta for 6-7 years, but in the last few years have been transitioning to using a fixed blade a lot more. I still carry the Havalon with me but most of the work is done by a Benchmade Steep Country. I just have a hard time with the throwaway aspect of replaceable blade knives, personally.

I really need to order a filet glove. I have a tendency to start going too fast once I get into an animal, especially when it's dark and I want to get it done and get back. I also hunt solo a fair bit. It would be cheap insurance.

It really is…. This happened while assisting with a moose last fall…
When I was visiting my mom’s this summer, I found a bandanna I had torn a strip off of to stop the blood from a cut I had inflicted upon myself while field dressing a moose I shot in 1991.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back