Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New knife... need opinions please

I think knife sharpening skills are something that should always be learned. I am by no means an expert, but I started early because I had lots of knives as a boy and I wanted them to be sharp. We started with just a whetstone of my Dad's in the garage, then some cheaper blocks that we got at Big Bear (or Scheel's) in Billings (my brother and I had to have our own). I've made lots of dull knives to be even duller over the years. Bought my Dad a Lansky set for Father's day one year too, but that was mainly because my brother and I wanted to use it. (A small aside, but both my kids, ages 9 and 7, got knives at the gun show this weekend, because....)

I could always get through a deer, but an elk was a struggle until I got a little diamond stone to put in my hunting kit. Part of not getting through an elk (or any animal really) without a touch up is both knife sharpening and knife using skills (as shown in the photo above from @RockinU ).

I've been using this as a primary sharpener for a few years: Home use sharpener I use it for all my knives (kitchen, hunting, day to day, etc). I got an extended pack of plates (going extra-fine, etc). But I love finishing with the ceramic and the leather strop. It works great with "skinners" - because you can have the plate rotate side to side - and lock it down for a more straight bladed knife.

I pack one of these in the field: Guided Field This one is great for touch-ups. Most of the time hitting the ceramic and leather strop is all that is needed. Plus, it gives my back a little break when working on an animal. I went through a bison in 2018, using a "guides of Alaska Alpha Wolf" with D2 steel, only needing touch ups when my back hurt.

I've used some of the disposables, but never really liked any of them. To me, I would buy a case of these Victorinox Paring Knifes, or a few to match the price of the disposable versions - and just use those. They keep a good edge and are easy to re-sharpen. Once they are used up, you can throw away at home.

I think knife sharpening skills are something that should always be learned. I am by no means an expert, but I started early because I had lots of knives as a boy and I wanted them to be sharp. We started with just a whetstone of my Dad's in the garage, then some cheaper blocks that we got at Big Bear (or Scheel's) in Billings (my brother and I had to have our own). I've made lots of dull knives to be even duller over the years. Bought my Dad a Lansky set for Father's day one year too, but that was mainly because my brother and I wanted to use it. (A small aside, but both my kids, ages 9 and 7, got knives at the gun show this weekend, because....)

I could always get through a deer, but an elk was a struggle until I got a little diamond stone to put in my hunting kit. Part of not getting through an elk (or any animal really) without a touch up is both knife sharpening and knife using skills (as shown in the photo above from @RockinU ).

I've been using this as a primary sharpener for a few years: Home use sharpener I use it for all my knives (kitchen, hunting, day to day, etc). I got an extended pack of plates (going extra-fine, etc). But I love finishing with the ceramic and the leather strop. It works great with "skinners" - because you can have the plate rotate side to side - and lock it down for a more straight bladed knife.

I pack one of these in the field: Guided Field This one is great for touch-ups. Most of the time hitting the ceramic and leather strop is all that is needed. Plus, it gives my back a little break when working on an animal. I went through a bison in 2018, using a "guides of Alaska Alpha Wolf" with D2 steel, only needing touch ups when my back hurt.

I've used some of the disposables, but never really liked any of them. To me, I would buy a case of these Victorinox Paring Knifes, or a few to match the price of the disposable versions - and just use those. They keep a good edge and are easy to re-sharpen. Once they are used up, you can throw away at home.
I use those victorinox or a similar green river for caping some times.

What does everyone use to store their used Havalon blades while packing out? I was thinking like the plastic bar soap holder or something
I use a plastic 50ml conical tube with a screw top lid (I work in a laboratory). Sometimes if I don't have a tube with me I will stick a used blade into the dirt under a large rock. Probably going to chewed out on here for that, but it is what it is. I like to think archeologists will find them someday hundreds of years into the future, haha.

What does everyone use to store their used Havalon blades while packing out? I was thinking like the plastic bar soap holder or something
I carry a heavy old ixed blade knife handed down from my father, a swing blade and a havalon. Usually only use the havalon and the swing blade though unless doing some major work.
When you open a new blade just open it far enough to get the new one out of the package then put the old one into it and fold over the top. Dispose when you get home. I usually put them into a bottle or something there so there is no chance of a puncture.

I use a plastic 50ml conical tube with a screw top lid (I work in a laboratory). Sometimes if I don't have a tube with me I will stick a used blade into the dirt under a large rock. Probably going to chewed out on here for that, but it is what it is. I like to think archeologists will find them someday hundreds of years into the future, haha.

Guilty as well... and had a similar archeologist thought.

I don't want a scalpel in my hands working up a critter in the dark, on a slope, half exhausted; hate to think what all those "minor" nicks would have been. They do have their place tho.

Over the years of hunting I carry a Buck brand knife of some sort, either their 110 model or the Vanguard, also have a Havalon, which works well if you understand it's limitations. Never had to stop and resharpen my blades during a field processing session either. But afterward I always touch up the blade whether it needs it or not.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back