Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Need some help to find a scope...

jore07

Anyone have any opinions or reviews on some scopes? I am looking to purchase one for my new 25.06. I don't need anything absolutely crazy. I don't think I'll be doing any long distance shooting. I just want a good overall rugged scope with good clarity. I have been leaning to Leupold so far.

I am babbling though so anyway just wondering what the fine people of HT recommend.

Thanks for the help.

Can't go wrong with a Leupold. Take a look at the VX 3 3.5-10x40

For a more economical purchase, look at the VX II 3-9x40

I've had the VX II on my 30-06 for the last two seasons and it's taken a lot of abuse and never lost zero. The VX 3 has better light transmission, and given the extra degree of magnification, it's what will go on the .338 when I upgrade.

Glass and mounts are the last thing I'd skimp on.

Id go with the leupold also.VxII or VX III. Might also want to check out the new line of redfields.

Can't go wrong with a Leupold. Take a look at the VX 3 3.5-10x40

...of the Leupolds, VX 3...hard to beat in it's price range. If you have an outlet where you can hands on a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 and the Lupe 3, by all means compare.

If I've heard right Redfield is owned and produced by Leupold now, and they are using the same glass? I've looked through a few at the store last year...but inside stores its really not helpful.

Does anyone know if Redfield is bringing anything new out this year?

Have many different kinds of Leupold's, but to me the VX 3 is hard to beat. Like already said the VXII is very good for the money.

CABugle

Redfields are made in the same plant in Beaverton, OR as the Leupold scopes are. Last year Redfield was a screaming success and the plant just couldn't crank out enough of them...... That said production has been ramped up and the shelves should be full this year, but there are not any new products currently in production for 2011. The Redfield product is a very solid performer, with an unbeatable price.... not to mention the fact that they carry the same lifetime warranty that the Leupold scopes do. You wouldn't go wrong with the Redfield, but if you can swing a few extra bucks the VX-II or VX-3 is the way to go. Or if you are interested in an illuminated reticle, the brand new VX-R series is just starting to ship.

Elkwhisper

I have a Leupold VX-III in 3.5-10X50. My son has a VX-II in 4-12X50. Both have been great scopes, very clear. We like the 50mm objective because we see a lot of deer in low light, the only downside is that you have to mount it a little higher. I have gotten deer that otherwise I could not have gotten. Invest in the Leupold screw-in covers if you can, they work great. You just flip them open with each thumb, no more rain or snow on your lens.

We have put a bunch of Vortex models through hell the last couple years. We figured that if one broke we would be able to try the warranty out. Haven't got to try the warranty out yet. They are a little crisper to my eye than the Leopold’s, but you would have to look through them to see. I did have to get my vortex tripod warranted and the were absolutely great. As far as I am concerned they have the best warranty bar none. We have them on 8 of them now.

Any Leupold that you buy will serve you well, and then your kids well, and then your grandkids well, and on and on!

I have a Leupold VX-III in 3.5-10X50. My son has a VX-II in 4-12X50. Both have been great scopes, very clear. We like the 50mm objective because we see a lot of deer in low light, the only downside is that you have to mount it a little higher. I have gotten deer that otherwise I could not have gotten. Invest in the Leupold screw-in covers if you can, they work great. You just flip them open with each thumb, no more rain or snow on your lens.
Check your regs on the shooting hours in your state if you need a 50mm to see deer I would say shooting hours are over.JMO

From what I understand the VX-1 line is bascially the exact same scope as the old Vari X II. The new VX2 and VX3 are sharper, but the reality of my hunting needs don't require perfect sight pictures in a scope. In all the hunts I've been on in every situation imaginable for the last 20 years, I can't think of a single time that my scope kept me from killing/getting an animal.

I've been putting the VX-1 line on my weapons for the last 7-8 years, I think I have 6-7 of them on rifles ranging from 280rem to 375H&H and two muzzle loaders. For the money, I think they're a decent scope, if anything you get piece of mind knowing that they won't fall appart of fail?.

Check your regs on the shooting hours in your state if you need a 50mm to see deer I would say shooting hours are over.JMO

Maybe your eyes are better than mine, but early in the morning or late in the afternoon, in thick woods on overcast days, sometimes it is hard to see the antlers. Plus if I am going to shoot at something I want to be able to see as good as possible.

Maybe your eyes are better than mine, but early in the morning or late in the afternoon, in thick woods on overcast days, sometimes it is hard to see the antlers. Plus if I am going to shoot at something I want to be able to see as good as possible.
That's what I use binos/spotters for...YMMV.

PS- I doubt many have eyes capable of taking advantage of the 'extra light gathered' by a 50mm objective vs a 40mm.

In the thick woods I hunt in you usually don't have long to take a shot, let alone use binos, to size it up. Spotting scopes are useless in our woods. After you see the deer and can tell it has antlers, put your scope on it and make sure you want to shoot it, then hope it steps into an open spot. Maybe I am the exception to the rule, but I think I can tell a difference between the 40mm and the 50mm. And why not get the brightest and clearest scope you can afford. A humane kill is the most important thing anyway.

Sounds like any of the main Leupold models is the way to go. I'm sure I will do that as soon as I recover from the price of the gun. I am just glad I have the time to get it set up the way I want but when I do I know I'll be way excited to get it out in the field.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and help so far...I appreciate it.

Check into the redfield scopes, they were bought out by leupold for their glass, if your not looking to spend a ton they are a great option

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back