Caribou Gear

Sightmark Wraith 4K Mini 2-16x (Digital Night Vision, not the Thermal)

PorterHouse

I'm friends with some farmers who I go hog hunting with at night probably half a dozen times a year. They have thermal scopes, suppressors, the whole nine on their rigs (get to write it all off as a "farm expense") and are always willing to let me borrow their equipment, though between going with them and having a use case of my own at our family place, I'm interested in getting my own setup (already have an 18" barreled AR that needs to see more use anyways).

Now I can't justify spending the money on a nice thermal, but I am interested in Sightmark's Wraith 4K Mini Digital Night Vision scope. All the reviews I read seem to say that if you're not willing to shell out for thermal, this is the next best bet (with an upgraded IR Illuminator).

I want to hear from the HT Brain Trust. Anybody have experience with this scope?

Now I already know y'all are a bunch of enablers...cough cough...I'm looking at you @Dsnow9
Let's stay focused here. I'm looking for reviews on the scope in question, not looking for a dozen posts that amount to "just buy the thermal". ;)

lets make a deal...

I started with the Wraith HD digital night vision scope and eventually sold it for one of the cheaper AGM thermal scopes. Zero regrets. Thermal is superior in just about every way. Heat signatures pop right away compared to IR images. The light on the digital needs to be dialed in and is a limiting factor as far as distance, it can get bumped, can wash out the image if you’re too close to the ground, and is another battery that needs to be monitored. Thermal has a much longer range, much easier target recognition, and on and on. We’re all blatant enablers and want you to spend your money on something, just not anything.

@brockel is a predator pounder with lots if experience with the range of optics; what say you??

Have the guys that you want to go with used night vision scopes where and how they hunt? Do they think its a good idea to buy NV?
I'd probably buy an atn thermal or an agn rattler thermal if I just wanted cheep.
I may have an extra agn ts19 thermal for sale if my buddy decides he doesn't have the money for it.

Thanks for the replies, keep ‘em coming.

I realize thermal is superior, but for my given use cases I’m thinking NV will work well too for a fraction of the price (understanding the already mentioned additional considerations that come with NV and the illuminator).

@Elkmagnet
They have Gen 1 or Gen 2 night vision stuff that’s probably 12-15 years old at this point. So they’ve used it but made the switch to thermal 8 or so years ago.

Shot distances when I go with them or at our family place would all be 200 yards and in (or at least 95% of them would be).

I still use my original 4x32x50 Wraith with an upgraded illuminator and have no problems.
The only challenge is when doing follow up shots on running hogs.
That's when the thermal really shines.
For the two- three times I fly to Texas, I can't justify a thermal.

I bought an ATN X- Sight 4K , one of my buddies has a wraith, comparing the two I'd go with the wraith next time. Less features= less stuff to go wrong. Viewing distance/ clarity is roughly the same with a good aftermarket ir illuminater. Plus the wraith was cheaper. I've been able to identify and dispatch critters out to roughly 300 yards. Digital night vision definitely has its drawbacks like washing out in cover or when trying to go prone for a shot. Also running shots can be pretty tough with the lag time. If it's snowing or raining you might as well stay home. But with a limited budget it's hard to beat and is better than sitting at home wishing you were out there chasing critters!

I bought an ATN X- Sight 4K , one of my buddies has a wraith, comparing the two I'd go with the wraith next time. Less features= less stuff to go wrong. Viewing distance/ clarity is roughly the same with a good aftermarket ir illuminater. Plus the wraith was cheaper. I've been able to identify and dispatch critters out to roughly 300 yards. Digital night vision definitely has its drawbacks like washing out in cover or when trying to go prone for a shot. Also running shots can be pretty tough with the lag time. If it's snowing or raining you might as well stay home. But with a limited budget it's hard to beat and is better than sitting at home wishing you were out there chasing critters!
For 500.00 they're pretty hard to beat.
Added an auxiliary battery pack, some flip up lens caps and some throw levers on mine.
I've killed a bunch of pigs.
The video ability is pretty nice too.

Thanks for the replies, keep ‘em coming.

I realize thermal is superior, but for my given use cases I’m thinking NV will work well too for a fraction of the price (understanding the already mentioned additional considerations that come with NV and the illuminator).

@Elkmagnet
They have Gen 1 or Gen 2 night vision stuff that’s probably 12-15 years old at this point. So they’ve used it but made the switch to thermal 8 or so years ago.

Shot distances when I go with them or at our family place would all be 200 yards and in (or at least 95% of them would be).
Sounds like you have the nv vs thermal issue well covered. Hopefully you can get some reviews on the scope. I think you need to spend some money on the illuminator and batteries.

Sounds like you have the nv vs thermal issue well covered. Hopefully you can get some reviews on the scope. I think you need to spend some money on the illuminator and batteries.
Agreed...already been looking at sniper hog lights.

Sitting on fields shooting hogs? Any plans to do any coyote calling?
Hogs either sitting on fields or finding them around feed storage areas where corn and grain have been spilled loading and unloading trucks.
And yes, we do lots of daytime coyote calling so would like to try it at night as well.

Ok, let me pitch things a little differently.
If you had $1000 to spend, are you going NV with a good aftermarket illuminator or are you getting budget thermal?
Again, this is knowing shot distances will generally be 200 yards and in.

A $1000 thermal scope is going to suck. But also using just a scope at night sucks to scan with. I would try and up the budget and run the wrath on the gun and find a lower priced thermal scanner

Ok, let me pitch things a little differently.
If you had $1000 to spend, are you going NV with a good aftermarket illuminator or are you getting budget thermal?
Again, this is knowing shot distances will generally be 200 yards and in.
If you have the ability to listen to this it has a lot of info for guys trying to do exactly what you are. It is guys trying to buy a NV scope and thermal scanner for a $3000 but it covers the wrath and its competition. You can consider it a $1000 and under scope review.
It also covers a lot of the issues with having budget NV/thermal such as target identification and atmospheric conditions.

A $1000 thermal scope is going to suck. But also using just a scope at night sucks to scan with. I would try and up the budget and run the wrath on the gun and find a lower priced thermal scanner
I actually went with the cheapest Pulsar and that was still 2200. Comparing it to my buddies where he has a Pulsar that is about double the cost is nuts. Not to say that mine is bad by any means but his is just outrageous how detailed and clear the thermal images are.

All good points. And I'll add that podcast to the list of reviews/videos/etc. to check out...thanks for the recommendation.
Maybe I just save my pennies and get something in that $2000-$3000 range.

I've looked through probably a half dozen different thermal units that fall into that $2k-$4k category (Pulsar, Bering, etc.) and I think all of them would serve my needs well, but yes I could tell a difference in clarity for sure. And then you watch videos of guys using the stuff that's closer to $10k and that's a whole different level altogether!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back