Reflections from an unsuccessful hunt. Learn from my mistakes and help me learn too!

FYT

“I had taken a moment too long, the bull was quartering quickly away. I knew I couldn’t responsibly take the shot…I had done just enough right to get the chance, and I had done just enough wrong to blow it.”

WARNING- This post is overly detailed. I can’t help myself. But, if you’re interested in spending some time in the off season living a hunt vicariously, then here’s your post. Grab some whiskey, settle in, and I hope you’ll read and enjoy.

I wanted to share my experiences and reflections on my most recent hunt because I selfishly want to hear from people much more experienced than I am about the mistakes I made so that I hopefully can avoid those mistakes the next time.

A little context- I’m pretty novice. I’m only in my 3rd season hunting Elk. I have only hunted public land and always DIY (with lots of help from a knowledgeable/experienced brother who lives 4 states away). I live in the central mountains of Colorado and hunt in the unit where I live. Unfortunately, I’m a school principal and fall is a damn busy time for me, so I hunt hard on weekends and evenings but my time in the field is limited.

A buddy from out of town drove in to tag along on opening day with me and we hunted an area where I had scouted the most and saw the most sign. We got on the road around 4am and were solidly in place where I wanted to hunt by about 15 minutes before shooting light- I wished we had gotten up sooner. I’m amazed by how fast those hours on opening morning go. Before we knew it, it was 10:30 and the best window of the day was gone.

We hunted hard all day, moving around quite a bit- spent some midday hours of sneaking through timber, then still hunting through aspens, and sitting on a travel paths in the evening; the most excitement we got was a nice Mulie’s butt as he was stotting away from us.

Opening day was done for. We drank 2 of the little whiskey bottles we brought as we sat for the last hour of the day; they were supposed to be saved for the celebration of my first elk. I made sure to save one for me, hopefully to drink the next day…

My friend had to take off early the next morning and this is where the story get’s a little more exciting. My plan was to go back to where we had hunted the day before but to hunt it in a different way.

I drove to the trailhead in total darkness. As I’m driving the last bit of pavement before it goes to dirt, a weird shape catches my eye in the field to my left. And then another. Didn't seem like moo-cows. I hit the brakes, reversed, and angled my truck to see into the field. I find myself looking at two mature bulls, about 10 and 30 yards off the road respectively. Neither are massive, herd-bull types, but they were both at least big-bodied 5x5, maybe better (I think one was a 6x6).

I immediately marked the spot on my map. I knew they were on private the second I saw them and my map confirmed that, though I wish I had spent a little more time studying the map in that moment. Mistake #1.

I had my plan in place for the day, and seeing a few bulls on private wasn’t enough to shake me off it. I went and hunted the morning, but I kept thinking about those bulls.

Eventually, the thought was pulling me enough to get me to walk out of my morning spot by midday. I went home, studied the map, and made a plan. The private that I saw the bulls on had some public butted up to it, and I suspected that they were bedding up on the public land above it and feeding out onto the private at night. I planned to hike up the backside of the ridge that overlooked the private and hoped to see them getting out of bed from above them.

I bushwhacked through some really steep and nasty stuff (Oakbrush, why are you so evil…?) but finally found my way up to the ridge to a great glassing spot.

I got glassing and only about 5 minutes in, out steps a bull right into my bino view. And then another. And a 3rd. My heart skipped a beat. I realize how novice this sounds (and is), but in my 3 years of elk hunting this was the first time I had even seen elk in the field during the season. I watched them for a short time; they sat down on a little bench on the back of a small knob. I was able to use the topography to pinpoint where they sat down. It was 1.21 miles away. I was well above them on the ridge, but by that time I only had about 55 minutes of legal light left. I was between them and the field of private I saw them on that morning, so if they were on the same program then they should be heading toward me.

I knew they must be moving toward me and I thought I might have just enough time to catch them before shooting light ran out or before they got to the private. Here was the situation on the map:

elk map.jpeg

I was off the ridge and on my way. Huffing fast and hard toward them was such a departure from the way I had been used to walking while hunting- I couldn’t care less about how loud I was being, I just had to cover as much ground as I could and hope that the elk were doing the same thing.

The whole time I’m doing this, I’m exhausted. I had to stop more often than I would have liked- I had come down steep skree initially but then was bushwhacking through oak brusk again and having to side-hill/make up elevation again to stay on the right track. I also had to continually make sure I wasn’t getting too close to the private that was below.

As I’m working along, I keep telling myself over and over- “don’t take a shot you’re not confident in. Don’t take a shot you’re not confident in” and I knew how tired and juiced up my body was. I told myself that I had to have something to rest my gun on for the shot, if I were to get one. “Right now, with the exhaustion and adrenaline, you CANNOT take a free standing shot,” was the definitive thought I had. I wish I hadn’t been so conclusive on that decision in my head at that point, mistake #2.

I stopped to check my map and catch my breath, there were about 15 minutes of shooting light and I still hadn’t come across the bulls. I wasted a few minutes then deciding what to do- should I sit on this little clearing and hope they come to me? Should I keep moving toward them?

After changing my mind a few times, I decided that there just wasn’t the time for me to wait- I had to keep moving toward them.

So, I had a little more than 10 minutes of light. It was now or never. I followed the sage brush road that I inferred they were traveling, which was gently sloping up to a small false ridge above. As I went up toward the ridge, I had my brother’s voice in my head, “SLOW DOWN. GO SLOW WHEN CRESTING. SLOW DOWN.” Especially as I got to the top of the false ridge, I emphasized this in my head.

The wind was PERFECT by the way- I was heading straight into it as it poured downhill.

Welp, I didn’t slow down enough. MAJOR mistake #3. As I crested the ridge, I heard movement first, then I saw the first bull. He saw me and spooked about 15 yards uphill and behind a tree/bush. He then stuck just his head/neck out- it looked just like this (this is my own photoshopped reenactment haha, the bull wasn’t this big but he was sure big enough to have my heart beating a hundred miles a minute):

00small28895043.JPG

This is where the whole encounter is a bit of a blur for me, here’s what I think happened: I got my range finder out to get a sure range. I should have just known the shot was within a distance that I didn’t have to do much adjusting up or down because he was close enough, but I felt the need to range anyway. My rangefinder was acting screwy in the low-light and the whole screen was red, but I was able to finally figure that he was a little over 150 yards. (pseudo mistake- I should have had a better feel for the range).

Keep in mind- this is my first real chance at filling an elk tag in my life and I definitely panicked a bit. Because I had been so forceful with myself in deciding that I couldn’t attempt a free standing shot, I tried to get prone. I was right on the edge of that mini false-ridge that allowed me to have an uphill view of the elk. I *tried* to get prone, but my big frame pack wouldn’t let me see through my scope. I had made a huge mistake in not taking my pack off right away and using it as my rest. (Mistakes #4 and 5- not taking pack off, not using pack as rest). I was finally able to get a good view through my scope and my 3-5 second window with him broadside had come and gone. I didn’t think quickly enough to get out my cow call and at least try to stop him, mistake #6.

I had taken a moment too long, the bull was quartering quickly away. I knew I couldn’t responsibly take the shot…I had done just enough right to get the chance, and I had done just enough wrong to blow it.

Yet another mistake I made was not considering a neck shot. As I have told this story to more experienced hunters, they’ve made it very clear to me that at 150 yards the neck shot would have been viable as he was staring at me from behind the bush. That was the longest window of time that I had while he was still but I didn’t even consider taking that shot. Mistake #7

So, that bull was gone but there was still a slightly smaller bull hanging out a little above where that one stared me down. He was so restless after his buddy bumped off that he just wouldn’t stop and kept moving up the hill and away from me. Bummer. Chance had, chance missed.

My final mistake was not waiting long enough before walking out. I waited 10-15 minutes but I had to walk in the direction that I had bumped the elk. I’m almost 100% sure they didn’t wind me in the initial encounter, but then as I walked out I ended up bumping them hard and I’m pretty certain they did wind me then. I ended up hunting this area more days this season, hoping I would catch them doing the same thing, but on reflection I wonder if this hard bump as I walked out moved them elsewhere. Mistake #8

So, I did some things right. What I was proud of was the fact that I got a little lucky to spot these elk on my morning drive, but I parlayed that luck into a legit chance at a nice bull. But, I made way too many mistakes and ultimately didn’t deserve that animal. Here they are summed up:

Mistakes

1) When I saw the elk in the morning, I should have taken more time to predict what they were doing and I could have realized that there was public access right near where I was and had a shot at them.

2) On my hike toward the elk, I was so definitive in my head that I would not allow myself to make a free standing shot. I wish I had at least pulled my gun up and seen how it felt. I think I’m responsible enough to not pull the trigger, but I needed to trust myself to at least give it a look.

3) My biggest mistake overall- I simply did not slow down enough when cresting the false ridge. Needed really, really put the sneak on, especially because I knew that if they weren’t beyond that ridge I wouldn’t have had enough time anyway.

4) Psuedo mistake that comes with more experience- should have had a better feel for the range instead of fumbling with my range finder.

5) Didn’t take off my pack right away when I encountered the bulls. I would have had time and I think it would have helped majorly.

6) Related to the above, I didn’t have a rest to shoot from and my pack would have worked perfectly.

7) Didn’t try to cow call to stop the bull as he quartered away.

8) Didn’t consider a neck shot, even though it was viable and possible even preferable for that situation.

9) Didn’t wait long enough before walking out and hard bumped them.

Thanks for reading this far if you did! I’d love any feedback, reflections, or discussion on what I could have or should have done differently. I’m always looking to learn fro mistakes and, just as importantly, from more experienced hunters. Would love any knowledge you’re willing to share. Thank you!

Nice write up.

Here is my input on your list.

I carry a shooting stick with a v-notch which is actually a trekking pole. If I have on a pack over 50 pounds or the terrain is one 35 degrees then I have two poles. I use my rangefinder every rifle or muzzle shot that appears over 100 yards. If am stationary for an extended though will range landmarks such as a boulder or two and a dead tree or patch of sage that are 100 yards, 200 yards, etc, so if a critter does run by I have an idea of the range. Normally, I have a few minutes to shoot, though. I never freehand unless a follow-up shot. I try to make the first shot the only shot needed. Before I used the shooting stick, I got into brush or sage a few times where the backpack did not provide a shooting platform above the vegetation.

We have all made mistakes that blew opportunities or created issues as took a shot. Had the scope on the wrong magnification as the sun rose, did not have enough batteries for a long day hike, etc.

I keep a day by day diary during the hunt that begins with a recap of the process that got me the tag, information about the unit including history and geography. I now have multiple volumes, each 200 pages or so. I read them each off-season front to back and those notes cover 4 decades of adventures. I have some pride in how my prep has improved, my gear has improved and I hunt smarter. My body is weaker and some of those hunts are a bridge too far for me to manage now so am glad I did them when I did as a younger hunter. I have less patience for dealing with asshats now so I try to only get tags that result in a lot of square miles per hunter or I look for private so am not surrounded by vests on ATVs as the sun rises.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

Good idea on the v-notch trekking poles. I do have trekking poles and when I've sat on travel paths/draws etc, I've looped the handles to create a similar-type rest. In this situation, my poles were still on my pack. I should have probably used them while I was moving down to the elk or at least had them out, but either way I don't think I would have had time to loop them like I typically do. I like the idea of having something equipped (i.e. "v-notch") that is already on the pole so I can just slap one down and be ready.

Good perspective on your approach to shooting. It makes me feel better about not trying to take a free-standing shot.

I also like the diary idea. Someone else mentioned some similar thoughts on that in another thread. I'm going to start doing that.

Thanks again!

Oh and thanks also for the advice on ranging. I do that when I'm sitting, both as a way to prepare and also just for fun and to pass time. This encounter came on me so fast that I was a bit out of sorts. I'm also curious if others have trouble with their range finder in low light. For some reason the whole screen was red (i.e the digital screen was showing up much to brightly in the low light for me to really see what I was ranging). That really screwed me up for a second. Is that a common problem with range finders?

Ironically, I lost that particular range finder later in this season, so I'm in the market for a new one!

Very nice writeup. I've been there, so really appreciate the introspection. Good luck on the next one!

Great write up. The map helped me see the situation very well.

With more experience you will think less about, well, everything. I would never predetermine that I am not going to take this shot or that shot or always range an animal before shooting. If you keep at it, you will develop a sense for decisions that you need to make (whether you have enough time to make a stalk or not) and decisions that will just become automatic (i.e. hey, there's a bull, I can make this shot if I lean against this tree).

Shooting sticks are great. I make my own from a set of 5/8" x 4' wooden dowels bolted together with a locking nylon nut. I use them as a walking stick and as a rest. Most bi-pods are too short to get your muzzle above sage brush etc and some of the store-bought shooting sticks are too flimsy for my liking.

Thanks for sharing an exciting encounter and keep at it!

Nice write up. Don’t beat yourself up too bad. You’ll find new mistakes to make, and keep learning from them even with a couple decades under your belt.

FWIW, comments on some of your mistakes....

#3 is probably one of the most common mistakes around. I constantly have to tell myself to slow down. Every hunt, every year. I think I just get too eager to see what’s next, too much adrenaline, too impatient. It’s a constant battle, and I know I’m not the only one.

#2 and #8 kind of go together. Know your limitations beforehand, but be willing to work with what you’ve got. Every situation is different. More experience makes your decisions faster and you get better at improvising.

#7 your only mistake is thinking you needed a call. Just squeak out your best mouth impression, or just about anything that doesn’t sound like a person noise. You’re not going for authenticity in that moment...just enough to make one pause for a second to figure out what the heck that noise was. I’ve killed deer, antelope, elk, coyotes doing this.

Good luck on the adventures ahead!

With more experience you will think less about, well, everything.

HA, this is my favorite quote so far. This is my whole life, not just hunting- I have a permanent residence inside my own head and I overanalyze everything.

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree on the need to be flexible with decisions in the moment based on the best information you have and not "predetermining" much of anything, though right now I wouldn't let myself take a shot longer than 300yards and I feel comfortable with that as a strong predetermination. Hoping to push that to 350 or so by next fall with a lot of work at the range, but with my .308 I don't want to push much beyond that at all.

Thanks again!

#3 is probably one of the most common mistakes around. I constantly have to tell myself to slow down. Every hunt, every year. I think I just get too eager to see what’s next, too much adrenaline, too impatient. It’s a constant battle, and I know I’m not the only one.

#2 and #8 kind of go together. Know your limitations beforehand, but be willing to work with what you’ve got. Every situation is different. More experience makes your decisions faster and you get better at improvising.

#7 your only mistake is thinking you needed a call. Just squeak out your best mouth impression, or just about anything that doesn’t sound like a person noise. You’re not going for authenticity in that moment...just enough to make one pause for a second to figure out what the heck that noise was. I’ve killed deer, antelope, elk, coyotes doing this.

Thank you! Appreciate the feedback and encouragement. You are so right about #7 and I can't believe that even in my write up I didn't recognize that. My brother's go-to in that situation is a quick, loud chirp/tick that sort of imitates a squirrel. He's killed big-game that way too. I gotta remember to keep that one in my back pocket.

Thanks again!

I don't have much more experience than you do but it doesn't sound to me like you made "mistakes" per say. Rather in hind sight it could have been done differently! As for moving too fast...well, you could have crawled up the crest and been looking down into an empty area. It's just that you can't predict what's going to happen. I remember a pheasant hunt last year where I'd walked miles of hedge rows and ditches and what not to finally kick up a rooster out of the clump of brush next to my truck! I'd scoured the area for hours and had finally lowered the gun and was thinking of a snack and the warm truck. Missed that bird by a mile. Never have found a bird that close to where I parked again :).

a good hands free call to use works better with a cupped hand(s) is a raven squawk. Especially effective in dark timber when they saw you and are blowing out but haven't smelled you... they saw movement and are erring on the side of caution by leaving, often many of them saw nothing and are only leaving cause their herd is leaving... A squawk will freeze them, often to see if it was a mistaken identity. Remember the last one is always the bull.

No such thing as an EXPERT hunter. Don't be so critical of your amazing experience. ACCOMPLISHED is the definition of a great hunter and what you should strive for. You sir are on your way to becoming an ACCOMPLISHED hunter. In this day and age of instant gratification, "Hunters" who have more money than brains/experience/accomplishment that just purchase guided hunts and private land hunts (I am not bashing guided hunts, just making a point so flame off) because they just want to kill an elk or a game animal they would never have a chance at otherwise, be thankful that you are becoming an "accomplished" and ethical hunter by educating yourself with every outing. Your first animal will be as gratifying as your 20th. Keep at it and nothing you did was a mistake. Don't take yourself too seriously (no such thing as an expert hunter) and try and remember.....Your 100% more prepared for your next hunt. Your experience is something millions of people would die for.

Last edited by a moderator:
No such thing as an EXPERT hunter. Don't be so critical of your amazing experience. ACCOMPLISHED is the definition of a great hunter and what you should strive for. You sir are on your way to becoming an ACCOMPLISHED hunter. In this day and age of instant gratification, "Hunters" who have more money than brains/experience/accomplishment that just purchase guided hunts and private land hunts (I am not bashing guided hunts, just making a point so flame off) because they just want to kill an elk or a game animal they would never have a chance at otherwise, be thankful that you are becoming an "accomplished" and ethical hunter by educating yourself with every outing. Your first animal will be as gratifying as your 20th. Keep at it and nothing you did was a mistake. Don't take yourself too seriously (no such thing as an expert hunter) and try and remember.....Your 100% more prepared for your next hunt. Your experience is something millions of people would die for.

I really appreciate your kind words and I couldn't agree more that I'm "100% more prepared" for my next hunt. I know that processing it through here with this great community is making me even more prepared as well.

Nice write up. You did really well to put yourself in the position for a shot opportunity, and really well to learn some things.

Off-season practice with a .22 will be a fun way to prepare for next fall, along with the usual scouting trips and work outs.

Regarding neck shots: I've never taken one, I just prefer to pop the lungs/heart. Has anyone on here had good luck with neck shots on elk? I know they're very popular with some deer hunters.

My daughter hit a big old cow with a perfect broadside chest shot with a .243, but it didn't want to die. It struggled to get up over and over and we didn't want to see it suffering anymore so we got really close and I told her to shoot it in the head. She almost started crying and said she couldn't do it and asked if she could shoot it in the neck instead. I said that was fine and she hit it high on the neck and it was lights out. So, yes, it can work, especially if you hit the spinal cord and/or major artery, but that is a relatively narrow target and if it isn't immediately lethal, I think you risk having a wounded animal that might die a slow death (can't eat cuz you shot it's wind pipe, for example).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back