Spotlight or thermal/nightvision? Coyote’s after my dogs.

Might want to have some sort of fence to keep your dogs contained as well as coyotes separated from them. As far as noise from shooting from the house, the barrel will be sticking out of the window so it won't be as bad as you may think. Good luck!

Thermal is absolutely the way to go if you are planning to do a lot of coyote hunting. But for what you are doing I’d either go red spotlight or a day/night scope. Can get one of those for around $600

I would probably just try to spotlight them and let them eat some #4 buck shot. But I have also shot them with 3in #4’s out of a turkey choke out to about 50 yds. You could always get a bigger dog as a future deterrent. I live in an area with yotes and they don’t tend to mess my Anatolian shepherd. He’s a touch big for one though, like 130lbs.

Coyotes have decided to actively hunt my dogs, in my yard. I’m declaring war. I have an attic over my garage with a window that I’m going to turn into my coyote night blind, ie I’m going to put a lawn chair by the window. Is there any thermal or night scope that won’t break the bank? Would I be better off just turning on a spotlight when the dogs go really crazy? I have severe pet allergies and a condition that makes me prone to anaphalaxys (4 times in the last 5 years) so bringing them inside isn’t an option. They actually caught my mini aussie momentarily tonight with me standing in the yard within 25 yds. I just came out of the house and had no night vision so couldn’t get a shot. Got the truck out and shined them while they were bugging out. My nearest neighbor is a mile away so that isn’t a concern, and I’ll use my bolt .22 since it will be close. My son already lost a pup a couple of years ago that they attacked. What say you?
1649131632755.png

Thermal, be careful, you might end up shooting a dog!
Pulsar C50 is the dogs dangles or new kid on the block a Hik
Other option, Pard007, works well with cheaper end optics, but you need a Parallax adjustment on the scope to focus.
Top end scopes don't work well with the Pard007, too many coatings.
Cheers
Richard

Thermal, be careful, you might end up shooting a dog!
Pulsar C50 is the dogs dangles or new kid on the block a Hik
Other option, Pard007, works well with cheaper end optics, but you need a Parallax adjustment on the scope to focus.
Top end scopes don't work well with the Pard007, too many coatings.
Cheers
Richard
And what, are you spying on the Irish? Wolves were extirpated from UK like a thousand years ago! And I know you people never had coyotes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back