Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Spotlight or thermal/nightvision? Coyote’s after my dogs.

stevejfarms

Coyotes have decided to actively hunt my dogs, in my yard. I’m declaring war. I have an attic over my garage with a window that I’m going to turn into my coyote night blind, ie I’m going to put a lawn chair by the window. Is there any thermal or night scope that won’t break the bank? Would I be better off just turning on a spotlight when the dogs go really crazy? I have severe pet allergies and a condition that makes me prone to anaphalaxys (4 times in the last 5 years) so bringing them inside isn’t an option. They actually caught my mini aussie momentarily tonight with me standing in the yard within 25 yds. I just came out of the house and had no night vision so couldn’t get a shot. Got the truck out and shined them while they were bugging out. My nearest neighbor is a mile away so that isn’t a concern, and I’ll use my bolt .22 since it will be close. My son already lost a pup a couple of years ago that they attacked. What say you?

Spotlights don't usually scare off yotes. Light em up. We night hunt with spotlights (with permits) and they run right in. White, green, red, whatever. If they are that close, 12 gauge with #4 buck.
Different than here. Young one maybe but you better be pretty quick and only use the bottom edge of the beam to spot the eyes. I'd agree with the #4 buck though. Not easy to find around here but what is anymore.

Ethics be damned! I’ve got plenty 3.5” 4 buck as I hunt coyotes all the time, just trying to keep noise down with the .22 since I’m going to be in the house.

Spotlighting is illegal here, don’t think I care at this point. We do have a night season now with optics.

Thermal is pretty slick. But pretty $$ too. I have played with ATN, AMG, and Pulsar. Not long enough to get a feel of what one is best for the money

Got a sure fire light today. Had to make a mount to adapt it to a scope ring and mount on the side of the scope since I don’t have a rail on my .22. Gonna see if they show up tonight.

Thermal is pretty slick. But pretty $$ too. I have played with ATN, AMG, and Pulsar. Not long enough to get a feel of what one is best for the money
Didn’t realize how much $$$. I just saw a 5 year old one on long range hunting for $7000😧

Coyotes have decided to actively hunt my dogs, in my yard. I’m declaring war. I have an attic over my garage with a window that I’m going to turn into my coyote night blind, ie I’m going to put a lawn chair by the window. Is there any thermal or night scope that won’t break the bank? Would I be better off just turning on a spotlight when the dogs go really crazy? I have severe pet allergies and a condition that makes me prone to anaphalaxys (4 times in the last 5 years) so bringing them inside isn’t an option. They actually caught my mini aussie momentarily tonight with me standing in the yard within 25 yds. I just came out of the house and had no night vision so couldn’t get a shot. Got the truck out and shined them while they were bugging out. My nearest neighbor is a mile away so that isn’t a concern, and I’ll use my bolt .22 since it will be close. My son already lost a pup a couple of years ago that they attacked. What say you?

Don't worry about coyotes bud. Here in Iowa I take my dogs for a walk every morning. In late winter and early spring they howl and get close but that's it.

Another option would be live trap if you're unable to get them with the gun, other traps would work, but with dogs around it really limits what you ought to put in the yard.

Keep us updated, we hope to hear about a couple pelts going on the wall....

Another option would be live trap if you're unable to get them with the gun, other traps would work, but with dogs around it really limits what you ought to put in the yard.

Keep us updated, we hope to hear about a couple pelts going on the wall....
Have you been successful live trapping coyotes?

My high school basketball coach has snared literally hundreds of them. These are too bold for my liking, gonna try lethal. No action so far tonight.

Have you been successful live trapping coyotes?
Nope, but I've also never tried. My third of an acre in town doesn't have coyote problems..... Ha

I mean foot traps or snares are better choices, but with dogs around those are kind of out of question so I defaulted to live traps....

Nope, but I've also never tried. My third of an acre in town doesn't have coyote problems..... Ha

I mean foot traps or snares are better choices, but with dogs around those are kind of out of question so I defaulted to live traps....
Coyotes are a little smart for live traps.

Back