Caribou Gear Tarp

Help me with a varmint scope?

WNC2500

IMG_5383.jpeg

Starting off with saying that I have no clue!! All of you were extremely helpful when helping me pick out a varmint rifle. i ended up with the Bergara 22-250 HMR.
Now is the next step in the journey. I need a scope. Who does a lot of varmint hunting, and what scope do you use? What dimensions/magnifications/specifications would you purchase?

1) I would prefer to dial but I have used BDC before on other scopes.
2) It will mainly be above the hi-line, so lots of flat areas, and shots at most 500-600 yards at the most. But, have shot stuff in the 200-300 yards consistently.
3) Not really set on a particular scope brand, model, or reticle, or magnifications....wanna tap into those of you that shoot a lot of yotes, prairie dogs, etc for your opinion.
4) Don't want to put a budget on here cause really open to both ends of the spectrum. (I know that is open-ended but as is the case with any of us that ask opinions, we are asking those of you that do it more to spend our money for us without the guilt :)

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 brx reticle is by far and away my favorite scope for coyotes. I’m not a dial guy though.

On a different note I have that exact same rifle and it shoots 77tmk very well.

Nice rifle, 22-250 is an awesome cartridge.

I have two Z5s, love those scopes! Great eye relief and a forgiving eye box makes it easy to find that moving coyote in your scope.

You will get many opinions on this. I would narrow it down to atleast moa/mil, spf/ffp, tube diameter etc. for me, it isnt a cost thing but I will choose a lower dollar amount if that scope meets or exceeds my needs. I used to run alot of Nikon scopes, last couple of years I’ve been changing them to Athlon. I like the glass, they suit my needs and dont break the bank.

For a 22-250, I’d go with a 5-25, 30/34 mil tube, FFP. Go look thru a bunch, find the one that allows you to use all the glass and wont get hazy on the edges at max power.

I'll vote the other end of the spectrum. The 22-250 at the ranch bounces around in a feed truck/tractor/SxS all day and the SWFA 10x holds strong. I've got higher priced glass that I wouldn't be as confident in given the same situation.

I'll vote the other end of the spectrum. The 22-250 at the ranch bounces around in a feed truck/tractor/SxS all day and the SWFA 10x holds strong. I've got higher priced glass that I wouldn't be as confident in given the same situation.
I’ve got the SWFA 6x on my 22-250. It’s bulletproof.

The Leupold Mark 3HD 4-12x40 will go on my next varmint rifle, which will be a .223.

Eurooptic has a few good deals left on some trijicon ten mile and credo scopes that would be pretty sweet on a 22-250. Other than those, my vote would be for the swfa mentioned above or maybe a Meopta Optika 6.

Of everything that I have used and own, for overall performance yet not ridiculously expensive I love the Sightron S3 series. I have a 6-24x50 on my 223 and 20 VarTarg, the 8-32x56 on my 20 BR and 30 BR, and a 10-50x60 on my 338 Lapua. I selected each one based on the Range of the gun and potential accuracy. I like the brightness over Vortex, and so far I have yet to have one fail me. They all have a 30 mm tube and second focal plane, but there are other options within the series as well as some of the newer ones. I think for that particular gun and what the range of uses you desire, I think the 6-24 would be best.

I'd get something with reticle subtensions that are consistent regardless of magnification and that is known to dial correctly and reliably.

It's a heavy varmint gun, i wouldn't put a typical hunting scope like most swaro/leupolds that are designed primarily for glass quality and minimum weight but don't have a robust erector setup or FFP.

For an affordable option, I'd recommend something like the Bushnell DMR 3.5-21x50 lineup. I'm not sure they make them anymore but you can usually find them used in snipershide or LRH classifieds. They have long been a favorite in the sub $1k category for folks wanting precision rifles to hit steel. Usually hovered right around $1k, but GAP or cameraland NY would occasionally have sales in the $700s. I have had a couple of them that I have kept on steel shooting guns or varmint ARs. I have a like new DMR2 with g3 reticle that came off a varmint AR i sold recently that i'd let go for $600 if you're interested. If you could find a bushnell

Could also look at the Trijicon credo or tenmile lineup, This SWFA https://www.swfa.com/swfa-5-20x50-ss-hd-30mm-riflescope-105472.html , meopta optika 5 or 6, Nightforce SHV lineup, or Burris XTR III options.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back