Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Need a lighter rifle

H

hnt4life

I have been hunting with and shooting a Remington 700 PSS 300win for years now. I have put some work and money into this rifle and it shoots as well as I can, but it is wearing me down on long hunts. I think the rifle weighs around 13 pounds, maybe 14 or so with the bipod.

I am looking for suggestions on a light(er)weight rifle. I would like to keep .30 cal, but I am also very interested in the 6.5 creedmoor in a lighter weight rifle. I have looked at the Rem 700 Mountain, Savage lightweight hunter, Tikka T3 light (I scratched that one right away), and some rifles that are in the divorce price range (Kimber mountain, Christensen classic).

Any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've had a Rem 600, in 308, for over 40 years now. Great little rifle. It weights in right at 7 lbs, fully loaded and a 3x9x32 scope. Something like a Model 7 would be about the same.

What about a winchester featherweight? I think that they may be a bit cheaper than the mountain rifle. I like both. Kimber and sako may be a bit more but may be worth it.

I bought a Sako Finnlight a few years ago and don't think you'll find a better quality, light weight rifle for the price! I bought mine in 300 WSM....doesn't even hardly kick!

Thanks,

I haven't looked at the Winchester yet, but it looks like a nice rifle. It is less than half the price of the Kimber. The Kimber Mountain Ascent is a little too spendy for me, and the Montana doesn't offer a caliber I'm interested in. I have handled a Sako and was really impressed. I will look a little more into that. The problem with most the rifles i'm looking at is not being able to actually handle them, so the more feedback I get, the better I feel about ordering a rifle.

P.S. Gunner46, were you a 46 crewdog?

My father has the Savage LWH in 6.5 Norma. It's a blast to shoot. So much so I just got one in 308. A buddy of mine has the Tikka T3 Lite. That's another affordable option.

I have a winchester extreme weather and have no complaints. I really liked my Weatherby mark v untralight until it was stolen. Pricey though!

I am worried about a rifle like the Savage LWH not being stable. I know they are very accurate, but I need a rifle that, in hunting conditions, I can get steady on an elk hopefully past 300 yards. I don't know if the weight or shortness of a rifle like that or the Kimber Adirondack would be a determent to accuracy in a hunting situation.

Kimber Montana in 30-06 will perform just below your current rig while saving you 7 pounds.

I have a Savage LWH in 260, I really like the rifle, especially carrying it compared to some of my other rifles. The Sako is a very nice choice, but a step up in price, but worth a good look. I don't have a Howa, but the one Big Fin recommended in 7mm-08 has been taunting me for awhile now. Personal experience is only with the Savage and Sako, really impressed with both.

Wow! You guys are great. I will be reading about different rifles for a couple more months. Thanks BigFin, I didn't even think about the Howa. The Sakko finlight looks awesome, but I should be looking for a less expensive rifle...maybe not? Anyone have any experience with the REM 700 Mountain? I was going to buy a used stainless/synthetic one and hesitated.

My Captain lent me his for a weekend deer hunt, right after (2 wks) I had back surgery. 7mm/08. Amazing how little recoil I felt, in spite of still having stitches & staples in my back ! Nice rifle, but when I decided to get a 7mm/08 I went with a Ruger 77 (8 lbs, fully loaded). Always liked a claw extractor over a plunger.

And no, the only time I was in a 46 was when they were dumping my a$$ off on some God foresaken LZ. I was 46 when I joined Hunt Talk and a Warrant Officer in the Corps (Gunner). Although we did buzz around Muana Loa and played with some 50 cals popping at some rust bucket trucks for target practice. :)

I have a weatherby Mark V ultralight light in 7mm Rem mag. It's a real treat to carry! Best advise pick up as many rifles as you can,buy the one that feels the best. IMO all the rifles listed are good choices. So it really comes down to what you like and what feels good to you. Happy hunting and enjoy the adventure of finding your next rifle.

Check out the safety's on the various rifles. Do you have a preference? I'm partial to the three position safety found on the Win Model 70, Ruger MII and Kimber's. The issues with the Rem model 700 should be kept in mind. But that's just my opinion.
Good Luck,
Dan

I really like my browning x bolt stalker in a .280. Its a good shooter for a box gun. Total gun, scope and rings are under 8lbs. Brownings xbolt 300 is only 3oz more. I really like the remington 700 mountains to, I have a few buddies with them in .280Ai and there sweet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back