Yeti GOBOX Collection

Necessary gear for first western hunt.

I plan on going back, but I’ve never been out west hunting before so it’ll be a new experience but I do have the feeling that once I take my girl out there it’ll be a yearly thing for sure. Sounds like boots, base layers and binoculars need updating for sure. Bass Pro trip for Mother’s Day!
Boots for sure. I hunt steep and deep in Colorado mountains. Terrain is brutal on the boots so pick good ones. Sore beat up feet will end your hunting in a hurry. If you are rifle hunting, assume the weather will change a lot during the day and day to day. Base layers are a must but an overall layering system is key. The more flexibility you have to regulate body temps the better. I always wear gaiters. Between dewey mornings and snow/rain showers, there is usually a high probability of getting your boots wet without them. Finally a good water purification stem is a must. You will find you drink 4-5 times amount of water you normally would which is probably half of what you really need to drink. No way to carry all of that with you when you can refill along the way.

Don't forget good wool socks with your boot purchase. You don't want cotton tube socks on your feet. Good socks are expensive but well worth the money. Carry an extra pair with you and change them often. Also, moleskin for the hot spots. Put it on at the first sign of discomfort. Don't wait until you have a blister. Ask me how I know.
Leuka tape. Put it on before you take your first step.

I rarely see it mentioned but a tube of chapstick can be a life saver especially when you are coming from the east and not used to the wind.
As a midwesterner now living in dry Wyoming. This is great advice. My preferred brand comes in three packs and I buy them frequently to
stash everywhere. Pack, bino harness, range bag, truck….on and on. Plus it helps seal cracks in your hands and makes a good fire starter if smeared on wood shavings.

I’m going on my first elk hunt in Colorado this fall. 2nd season rifle hunt. I have a Kodiak Flexbow and a wood stove. I have a TideWe frame pack too. The rifles are sufficient and hopefully the ammo will do the job if we find something to shoot at. I don’t have expensive name brand elk hunting clothing, but I think some of my deer hunting stuff will suffice. I don’t want to go crazy spending money( I might not like it), but what are the “must have “ items I need for a 7 day hunt. I do plan to set up a camp at the truck and return each day. Also will be buying a satellite communicator like an inreach or zoleo because that’s the only way my wife will let me take my daughter to the middle of nowhere without cell service! So what else do I need?

If you are only doing day hunts, clothing is pretty much whatever you want that will keep you comfortable. I will say that camo is definitely not necessary and would steer you towards using merino wool. L.l. bean is a good source for some stuff. But sounds like you have that covered. Sitka, Kuiu etc. are definitely not necessary for this type of hunt so you are on the right track there.

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here but probably the two things that I would make sure you have (and won’t break the bank) are

1. Either a knife with replaceable blades (Gerber Vital is my personal choice, I’ve tried Havalon - too finicky with changing blades, Outdoor Edge is also nice and you can resharpen their blades). Or a good knife with a knife sharpener.

2. Quality lightweight game bags. It seemed silly spending $60 on cloth bags but Caribou Gear Carnivore is the best setup for boning out meat IMO. You want to have them with you when you shoot your bull and the cotton ones are heavy and bulky.

If you have enough money and want to buy one “nice” item I would say binos. Leica or Swarovski. Buy used if you can from someone else that used them very little if you can as it will likely save you a few hundred bucks.

You probably don't need as much as you think but my advice would be to find the things you NEED and splurge on them, because you'll end up buying the nice one anyway so you might as well do it once
I agree with this. The items I gave you will not need “upgraded.”

Lots of great advice has been given so far!

The only thing I’d add is a positive attitude! Hunting, even when you’re not seeing anything, is soooo much better than a day at work. Enjoy every aspect of the adventure!
Spending a week in the mountains with my baby girl who has gone and grown up on me will be the reason for going. If we get to bring home some elk meat then great! I won’t be sad about going if we don’t though! We will give it our best out there. We have always hunted together and this will be a great hunting adventure out of our normal deer woods. I’m excited already!

I didn't see anyone say wind checker or a comfortable bino harness.

I use the cheap wind checker from Walmart and keep 2 on me, 1 always in my bino harness.

My kit top down

Avoid blue color in clothing, supposedly that color pops out to elk.

Orange beanie, hat

Base layer, cheap grid fleece, puffy jacket for sitting/glasssing

Bino Harness- Binos, wind checker, range finder, earplugs

Warm gloves

A wide but thin belt, thicker belt like leather gets annoying under pack belt

base layer/pants- lighter, knife and headlamp always in pants

I like gaiters

Socks and Boots

Phone/sattelite device (check function) with mapping software and *local maps downloaded*

Pack

Water container that can be readily available all day, Camelbak tubing will freeze if you run into a cold season

Electrolyte supplements - Liquid IV, gatorade, etc - I like to have at least one a day to prevent cramping

High Cal snack foods that taste good, I find that I have to force my self to eat during the day (elevation/exertion)

Extra socks

Wind/rain layer

Kill kit- bags/knife or extra blade/sharpener, paracord, contractor trash bag (multi use- meat off ground, rain, etc)

Emergency kit - NSAIDs/painkillers, chapstick, extra headlamp and batteries, lighter, firestarter/TP, water purifier tablets, Leuko tape, battery pack and cord to charge phone/garmin

Lightweight water purifier (test at home)

Wetwipes- you're welcome

foldable foam pad to sit on, roll one sucks

Hiking sticks - wrap duct tape here and water bottle, double as shooting sticks

I'm going to add a gun bearer this year, sling slipping down gets annoying

Learn your limits shooting off hand, off sticks/log, pack, leaning on tree, etc

Know what distance your bullet will hit minimum expansion velocity

Go light.
  • Black Diamond makes a great tent that uses hiking poles instead of tent poles
  • Good boots
  • you can use water tablets instead of a filter and save weight

Nothing worse than swampass!
when i worked fire i always had a can of gold bond handy for the drawers. it helped a ton when you couldn't shower for a week or two. don't mix up the medicated (blue bottle) with the regular (yellow) if you're putting it down your pants. you can thank me later

Curious to know what your boots of choice are

that's a long answer for anyone. it needs to fit your foot and that's probably different than mine (narrow heel, wide fore foot and high arch). i like a stiff to moderately stiff shank with a rubber rand or at least thicker leather there. i'll use bonded soles but prefer some stitching as is common on higher end boots. insulation is nice in late season but can be detrimental in early season if they're not breathable.

there are a lot of good boot companies out there. find one that fits your foot and suits the purpose. lately i've been using mostly crispi boots.

I second lueko tape. Cannot have enough of this. We wrap our entire feet in it. Put it on before you go into woods.

Boots! one thing about elk is they are not hard to spot and if you are looking to kill any legal elk I would not worry about a spotter. I rarely use a spotter for elk unless I have a permit tag and I am looking at antlers. My spotter gets extensively used on mule deer hunts. If you dont own a spotter I wouldnt worry about it. Good binos on a tripod is all I would use

Boots that are broken in and extra high-quality socks (my feet run hot), a pack that fits you and you know how to use it (taking the weight off your shoulders), chapstick. Not an essential, but a recent discovery that I loved on a warmer elk hunt last year was pants with heat-dumping zippers.

Back