Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

ND Mule Deer

Grizzley

This thread has to start with "With a little help from a friend!" I want to tell you that last year I asked Buschy if he wanted to go bowhunting and he agreed and you saw the monster fork horn (okay fawn with some large branches) I shot! As Busch said "that was a great shot...how did you hit something that small!" Well I was a little hesitant to hunt with him after last year and spent most of this year on my own and failed to close the deal but had found and stalked some great bucks. As Buschy says that not failing that just learning! Knowing that Buschy had filled all 12 of his tags and is a sucker for the Badlands and hunting in the snow we headed out to find some Mule deer. This Saturday the rule was anything with horns was free game and I would at the least attempt a shot. We covered ground all day and by nightfall I was whipped! With 20 minutes of light left we found what we were looking for but just did not have enough time to make a stalk. I feel sorry for that sucker of a deer because Buschy locked in grid coordinates for that buck and I am sure he will get a free ride back to Bismarck next year!

Sunday morning came and I told Buschy that I was going to shoot any mule deer...horns or not. At that time I am sure he was thinking oh crap I hope we don't run into anything small. Lucky for me my first attempt at a doe was just a shade high...I will not tell you how high lets just say it was WAY HIGH (Like Yards not inches)! Shortly there after, Buschy and I found two does in a draw so Mr. Nice Guy (Buschy) said he would push them to me. If you know Buschy he made a HUGE loop around the draw and came up on the backside as I set up in a low spot at the bottom of the draw. Only a good friend would even think about scaling the backside of a butte this large! Yep, just as he predicted the doe came through but it was being followed by two bucks...Thank God for the rut as these bucks were not leaving her hindend! At 40 yards I stopped all three of them with a quick grunt and let an arrow fly. He spun and at 30 yards he dropped his head and at 50 yards he stopped, wobbled, and dropped! I backed out to find Buschy and we walked up to where I had shot...I asked him to glass the side hill...this is what he saw...

MULE DEER 004 - Copy.jpg

Here are a few more pictures...

MULE DEER 026 - Copy.jpg
MULE DEER 052 - Copy.jpg
MULE DEER 077 - Copy.jpg

I think this officially counts as rack propping! And the last one...my eyes are welded shut due to the shear number of pictures Buschy had taken!

MULE DEER 101 - Copy.jpg

Attachments

• MULE DEER 023 - Copy.jpg
    MULE DEER 023 - Copy.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 816
Absolutely awseome!! Not only huge headgear, but the biggest body I have every seen on a mulie. As Big Fin is fond of saying, "that thing is a TANK."

Definetly a great day with a great friend and that's what it's all about!

Here are a few more pics:

As good as it gets!
IMG_0597.jpg

Grizzly was so jacked he could have pulled out two bucks, one in each hand!
IMG_0600.jpg

What a rush! Unfortunatly worse than crack, as you need another fix ASAP!
IMG_0609.jpg

Last edited:
That's an awesome buck!
Congrats Grizzly. Looks like you guys had a blast out there.

Wowzers! That is a great buck. There's nothing like late archery hunts in the snow! Congrats!

Back