ND HB 1151

Status
Not open for further replies.
So people in north Dakota can’t kill a common deer unless it’s eating a bait pile? I can’t believe people are fighting this hard to keep baiting deer. ND must have a lot of kids.

So people in north Dakota can’t kill a common deer unless it’s eating a bait pile? I can’t believe people are fighting this hard to keep baiting deer. ND must have a lot of kids.
To just kill a deer is easy … thats why we pick one

My son shot a buck the last year we could bait out of a ground blind over a small pile of peas hunted him two years got sheds sat about 50 nights

It ain’t the gimme some might think

Agree that’s the one of oddest arguments amongst many I’ve seen.

“Legislature should prevent the biologist from managing things because they let the deer population grow too much and then (gasp) issued more tags to correct it, but it was too many extra tags. So I should be able to bait.”
Well if that biologist would maybe listen to the people living on the land every day ( not just going out in a plane once to count on their fingers and toes) they could have responded before the population doubled and ma nature killed em all off

Then if they would a listened they mighta known ma nature killed em all off and cut tags before the hunters killed the rest

But what the hell do I know I don’t have the right letters after my name

#forthekids
Yep I have kids and I enjoy helping them get their deer

Maybe next Dec if you got kids that haven’t got their deer on the spot and stalk hunts they can come shoot a doe out of our heated stand

Or just takem out when its -25

Well if that biologist would maybe listen to the people living on the land every day ( not just going out in a plane once to count on their fingers and toes) they could have responded before the population doubled and ma nature killed em all off

Then if they would a listened they mighta known ma nature killed em all off and cut tags before the hunters killed the rest

But what the hell do I know I don’t have the right letters after my name

I think those are legitimate criticisms! But i also am cognizant of the fact ND is bordered to the east and west by states that allow unlimited rifle hunting during peak rut with the only hint of management being how many extra doe tags they give out. So I’m a little more likely to give ‘em jab and say you can do better if they react slow or over-react because at least they freakin try to do something! Tying baiting to it seems like a stretch.

Yep I have kids and I enjoy helping them get their deer

Maybe next Dec if you got kids that haven’t got their deer on the spot and stalk hunts they can come shoot a doe out of our heated stand

Or just takem out when its -25
You NoDaks sure are polite. Glad my folks grew up there.

I think those are legitimate criticisms! But i also am cognizant of the fact ND is bordered to the east and west by states that allow unlimited rifle hunting during peak rut with the only hint of management being how many extra doe tags they give out. So I’m a little more likely to give ‘em jab and say you can do better if they react slow or over-react because at least they freakin try to do something! Tying baiting to it seems like a stretch.
Well it wasn’t a one year deal

The first time you go to advisory meeting and tell the GF i got twice as many deer in my hay yard 350 and they ignore you its not a big deal you hope they got a handle on it

The 4th year in a row when ya tell em you got 650 deer in your hay yard and you know a bunch of other ranchers are and you get patted on the head and told they are the professionals ….. you realize that is NOT what you are dealing with

The year we had 650 deer in our hay yard we took out 20% over a bait pile in a month it barely got above-20

Nobody would have wanted to come hunt and I didn’t want people I didn’t know shooting anywhere near our cattle

Baiting is a tool

It is an excuse for an ethics argument

One of my favorite responses I get is "well you guys don't allow anyone to hunt, thats why you have 650 deer in your yard" and then you tell them 650 was after 100 were taken out of the yard by people from our stand and ask how many people they took hunting the last 10 years total.. We were literally asking on sites like this for anyone proficient with a bow to come out and help with a problem.. We just used one of the tools available back then to help out. Was pretty fun watching entire family's drive up from wherever and seeing the husband and wife and kid all taking pictures of does that they had stuck that day.

Reactions: GST
The problem is, is when you have them come to the a yard, show them 650 feed deer at a silage pile and then say "it would be 750 if 100 people didn't shoot does out of that stand over there" and the biologist says that bait pile is where CWD is going to be spread and disregard the other 650 deer at a silage pile in front of him. Then comes back put later to look at a pile of 120+ dead deer you had to drag out of the hay yard becuase mother nature throw -20 at them for 45 straight days almost and no matter how much straw we put put for them and trees we've planted it still wasn't ebough to get all of them through. And the herds around that were more out in the prarie with even less cover got hit harder..

Their management number is 75,000 tags. Having to double that and then drop it so rapidly shows they were reacting for multiple years.

Jeb Williams responded to my question about how they manage moose tag numbers at the minot advisory board meeting last fall with "we allow as many as we think landowners want to deal with".. That's not a very solid management plan, and from people in the crowd that deal with 5-10 moose in 1 corn or sunflower field every year.. That wasn't the management answer they wanted to hear either.

I know and waterfowl hunt with one of the guys that does deer and moose counts in our area. Every year we bs about what we think populations are doing before he ever flies for counts.. 95% of the time the answer we give them is what he says himself and others see from the air, but that advice at advisory board meetings is turned on a dead ear because "experts" know better. I haven't heard what they think moose numbers did in our unit but I would likely bet a pretty decent chunk of change tag numbers will be down a pretty decent amount because moose numbers are down.. But I don't have a PhD so it's just an guess from spending almost every free moment driving around looking at wildlife.

That's where a lot of the doubts come into play over this whole thing.

If there’s 600 deer on a silage pit, I know where I’m taking ALL the kids at first light.
They ended up in a stand up north of our yard so people we didn't know, because we had so many people we had never even met before because we were asking on forums, and didn't want them hunting that close to our cows..

Was a precautionary deal that seemed to work out well for everyone, and didn't seem any of the 100 had an ethical problem with filing that tag over 10 gals of corn when they were invited up to do it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back