Caribou Gear

National Forest Recreational Shooting Ban

This doesn't surprise me. There are some serious idiots out there, ruining it for everyone.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen people on public land shooting in unsafe places, leaving shot up trash everywhere; and otherwise being destructive, unsafe and just plain old stupid with firearms. I don't think the majority of them are hunters, and they sure don't care about public land.

I hate to see the activity curtailed, but what other alternatives are there, given the number of dingleberries and their level of stupidity?

In the last year I have seen:

1. People shooting in an area bordered by private land with homes.

2. People shooting up a truckload of glass bottles on public land.

3. I've actually been peppered by some pilgrim with a shotgun.

4. People shooting up a FS outhouse.

5. People shooting up old car batteries they brought with them and left behind.

I saw the other article this morning, bookmarked for the newsletter - Site clean up: Forest Service asks for public’s help at trashed camp area.

Forest Service employees have recently posted no-shooting signs at the site that include a unique twist they believe may keep the signs from becoming the shooters’ next target.

“The signs have a small American flag in the corner,” Winthers said. “We are hoping that people won’t want to shoot the American flag.”

Bitterroot Forest OHV Ranger Monte Monroe has replaced quite a few signs in the area over the past decade.

One recent morning, he was standing over a signpost that had been shot in half just below a user-created ATV trail that goes straight up, around and then straight down the hillside behind him.

“The sign said ‘no motorized travel,’” Monroe said as he bent over to pick up piece of the blasted sign. “The way I see it, it’s a waste of the taxpayer’s money. I’ve probably put a half-dozen signs in here, and people just shoot them up.”

My anecdotal data is that the flag stickers do help. The recreation folks have been using that idea for about a decade in some places. The other thing that I saw help is if the signs are in terrible shape.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back