Caribou Gear Tarp

My sons Idaho archery elk

MtnWest

Packing in for our second trip of the season this past Friday my son made a great 30yd quartering away shot. We were working our way up a ridge toward the nights camp when I heard a twig snap then motioned to Jake who was just behind me to get ready.

We watched a 5pt, 3pt and a few cows above us to our left. Jake moved up and to the side 20yds as I cow called and the elk worked their way closer on a trail above. I saw Jake rise from his knees, draw, whistle and drop the string. Couldn't believe the composure for being 14. He has lots of elk experience (second elk shot) but still cool to watch in real time.

He was fired up of course then said "Dad I hope your not mad I didn't shoot one of the bulls". I replied I couldn't have been happier, that he took an ethical shot and that a cow is no less important than a bull just because of what's on its head (I like to eat big bulls too, don't get me wrong). We waited our time then followed a good blood trail about 100yds. We quartered her up, hung them in a tree, camped then hauled them out in the morning with him carrying a rear in his X2. Not bad for 5' 2" or so and a buck ten (never thought I would grow either).

After the shot, stating he has three arrows left from the original four. I mentioned he looked like a retar... gangbanger (quoting Ricky Bobby from Talladega Nights, no offense to the handicapped)
20140905_195046_Small.jpg

Blood trail
20140905_200402_Small.jpg

Pic cleaned up of blood, green arrow showing quartering away angle to offside leg for all the armchair hunting studs of the world.
20140905_204635_Cleaned.jpg

Full penetration, it was even pushed back out when she landed.
20140905_205635_Small.jpg

At camp that night. Note the green sleep pad is a new Klymit static v as my old Big Agnes is in CO for repair. Kudos to BA for standing behind their stuff after 10yrs. The static v is comfortable for a side sleeper btw and would recommend.
20140829_220614_Small.jpg

Getting quarters in the morning. Yes, I cut the legs off at the joint with my knife but not at 11pm.
20140906_110712_Small.jpg

Heavy packs, happy times.
20140906_114434_1_Small.jpg

Dinner tonight. Backstrap steaks, mashed yukon golds, green bean casserole, salad and a tasty adult beverage. Sorry, I had started eating when I thought "hey I should post this"
20140907_193527_Small.jpg

For the tech junkies...
Optics- None
Pack- X2
Clothing- On sale
Bow- Diamond Razor Edge 48-50lbs, maybe 24" draw?
Broadhead- Shuttle T 100gr
Footware- Old Nike's, flo green color (he prefers them to boots early season)

Itching to get back out but can't for two weeks as wife is headed to Texas to visit family and I've got a little man at home. Might be time to indoctrinate a 4yr old into elk hunting :D

Last edited:
Great job! Congrats to your son on a fine shot and good eats. Congrats to you for raising him right.

Nice work boys! A lesson for us all......you were alert on the way in to camp. Had you been in hike mode only (versus being stealthy/aware/hiking) the opportunity would have been wasted.

Super! His smiles show how good a time it really was. I am so looking forward to days like that with my two boys. Congrats!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back