My philosophy about gender in language.

In 1990, in the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie, the fictional character Casey Jones referred to April O'Neill as "Broadzilla". For 20-some years, I kept that one collecting dust in my pocket till the critical moment in my marriage that it was called for. It will never be called for again.:ROFLMAO:
I’m curious how you managed to survive this momentary lapse in judgement? 🤣 🥷

A couple years ago I was out checking my cattle with my daughter. I was explaining the difference between a herd bull, steer, calf, and heifer. When we got back to the house she ran up to her mom and loudly exclaimed "mom you are a heifer" then walked away. The look on my wife's face was so worth her thinking I put our daughter up to it. I tried to explain I had nothing to do with it besides maybe being the root cause of the smart ass gene.

The word GIRL should not be used any more often for a young female than BOY is used for a young male in the English-speaking culture.

Formal gender words should not be mixed with informal gender words.

Formal gender pairs:

man and woman
boy and girl
lady and gentleman
man and girl (a grown male and an underage female)
woman and boy (a grown female and an underage male)
young man and young lady
younger man and younger woman

Informal gender pairs:

fellow and dame, The fellow treats his dame right.

guy and gal, There was a guy and gal on a motorcycle.

chap and chick, The chap was driving a Toyota with a hot chick in the b___ seat.

dude and doll, The dudes wore baseball hats and the dolls wore flowers in their hats at the party.

fellow and filly, A fellow in a black Stetson was dancing with a young filly at the saloon.

guy and doll, The guys and dolls were in Model T Fords.

fellow and damsel, A fine fellow on his high horse rescued the damsel from the mountain lion.

I frown upon formal and informal gender word pairings:

guy and girl, In high school, there were GIRLS rooms but no GUYS rooms. The male restrooms were labeled as BOYS.

fellow and girl, There was a fellow in a brown hat and girl in a green dress at the bus stop. (Was the girl a female child?) I would use FELLOW and GAL here.
hesher (plural heshers) (slang) A diehard enthusiast of heavy metal music. quotations ▼ That guy has long hair, rides a motorcycle, and wears t-shirts of his favorite heavy metal bands with a leather jacket to his college classes. He is a hesher.
Could be concurred differently today.

A couple years ago I was out checking my cattle with my daughter. I was explaining the difference between a herd bull, steer, calf, and heifer. When we got back to the house she ran up to her mom and loudly exclaimed "mom you are a heifer" then walked away. The look on my wife's face was so worth her thinking I put our daughter up to it. I tried to explain I had nothing to do with it besides maybe being the root cause of the smart ass gene.
Good thing you didn't explain about old cows.
Even better she didn't hear you name one of your cows after she tried to run you over or tear up a fence.

Good thing you didn't explain about old cows.
Even better she didn't hear you name one of your cows after she tried to run you over or tear up a fence.
She asked what the difference between a bull and steer was since they're both boys. I was gonna be honest but thought it might not be time to open that can of worms just yet. My response was ones better equipped then the other.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back