Yeti GOBOX Collection

First year Bowhunting

Here’s a basic overview. NASP is geared towards kids but don’t let that worry you, it’s good information. As stated USA archery uses basic terminology differences but similar. This is just a decent explanation.
Recurve, compound uses same exact steps. If you’re using a release when you set string bow you need to figure that. Tie in a release loop and adjust string length for that.
Same grip, same follow through for both.
Be advised George Ryals archery learning center has some more advanced video for compound. Especially if you’re looking toward release watch the way he fires a button if you’re inclined toward a thumb style release.

Thank you. I just bought a bow in year #43 for me and these are helpful to learn besides what the guys at archery shop say, which varies.

So this year is my first time going to attempt bow hunting and I have a legit question cause I really don't know. Ive been practicing since April pretty consistently, randomly the fletching on the arrow seems to hit my drop down rest kind of weird and make the arrow veer off left or right. I have marked the arrows to see if it was an arrow problem and it just happens randomly. Was thinking about switching to a whisker bisket and practicing more with that for the upcoming season. Any info would be great. Thanks guys!

So this year is my first time going to attempt bow hunting and I have a legit question cause I really don't know. Ive been practicing since April pretty consistently, randomly the fletching on the arrow seems to hit my drop down rest kind of weird and make the arrow veer off left or right. I have marked the arrows to see if it was an arrow problem and it just happens randomly. Was thinking about switching to a whisker bisket and practicing more with that for the upcoming season. Any info would be great. Thanks guys!
Could be your nock is twisted on one or two of your arrows? If not that then your rest likely just needs adjusted, I wouldn't switch to a whisker biscuit. Are you fairly close to the shop you bought your bow from? They should be able to help.

Great story and a great example of giving back to the sport in a very positive manner! If every ethical hunter would so the same then hunting would gain the kind of support we need into the future.

Could be your nock is twisted on one or two of your arrows? If not that then your rest likely just needs adjusted, I wouldn't switch to a whisker biscuit. Are you fairly close to the shop you bought your bow from? They should be able to help.

I am fairly close and am on vacation next week. Just wondering why not switch to a whisker biscuit? Just outdated?

Thought of something that might be interesting. I’m big on mentoring and helping others. I bet there’s someone reading along about to embark on a first year. Or It could even be a hunter who’s dabbled along yet still unsuccessful a year or so. Let’s help em.
This is a two sided thought, it’d be cool if we could sorta “live vicariously” through someone as they posted about getting ready, what luck they’re having and if successful we could all share in their success.
A great part for the new person, they can ask questions, bounce ideas off the forum thus having a bunch of mentors of sorts from afar. As a youngster, I myself, knew no one turkey hunted but I had this desire to try. Luckily one fellow allowed this same approach. I’d call him for his advice. I’ll always be thankful for that.
Perhaps as a new guy, they get some advice about why what they’re doing or not doing could or couldn’t be a good idea both archery itself as animal specific techniques.
Now if it’s pointed to certain animals say a western mule deer or elk hunter, I surely can’t help with those specifics being from the east. Hopefully someone closer there could answer the question and this be fun and beneficial for all involved. Hopefully some fellows will reply and hopefully others lend advice.
So new folks, don’t be shy, no question is too silly.
If it helps one person I’m game.

Gonna post a pic of what it’s all about. I teach archery and was teaching for the PAL this particular day. A woman walked in with her teen daughter.
The kid wanted to hunt, mom didn’t know how or who to ask. She walked into the archery club offering money for a “guide”.
She wanted to kill a turkey first. I told mom I’d only take her if mom came and I wouldn’t accept any payment. I wasn’t going into the woods w a young girl.
Anyhow, that particular morning was her first ever hunt w me and it was black. Really dark, possibly scary for a kid as I use no lights but she trudged on.
At daylight a bird started hammering nearby, you shoulda seen her face light up! 45 mins into daylight she got her shot. Look at that smile, it’s what it’s all about. We deer hunted, squirrel, waterfowl and upland bird hunted, she was successful at all but it started here.
She’s now a Marine. God bless her
This is great!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back