I'm Truly Thankful for my Mountain Goat Tag, but Some People Make You Wonder

Congrats and best of luck on your hunt. I’ve been on 2 goat hunts in that unit, 1 was mine and 1 was a friends. I’m sure there are others on here that know it much better than me, but feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

West Fork of Rock Creek. I don't know the code off the top of my head
I think that is the district west of mine. 514 is the east side of Rock Creek. Good luck, hope he scores...I can't imagine my 73 year old father trying to kill a goat in the Beartooths!

I often wonder if some people just get on hunt talk each day because they can’t find anyone in real life to start an argument with. Anybody else see a pattern?

An update on the planning for my goat hunt. I continue with my normal off-season exercises. Nothing out of the ordinary yet just a lot of HIIT, weights, and walks with at least one of them with a loaded pack weekly.

I’ll be hunting with at least one buddy who has great horses for the mountains and a lot of experience. He drew his own goat tag last year and really scored a great sheep just a few years ago. We’ve known each other for a number of years but this will be our first hunt together. We are planning to do some scouting rides in this summer with our boys who will be seniors in high school together and have been friend since preschool. Sharing this together is going to be incredible!

I may choose to bow hunt early even though I would prefer to have them haired out, but if I could score with my longbow that would be epic. As far as rifle goes, I will be using my trusty 280 in an older Winchester Model 70 Lightweight. This has been my go to rifle for about as many years as I’ve been applying for the tag. I’m thinking it will be a swan song for us. That isn’t a final decision just yet.

Another decision I have made is to not start applying again even when I’m eligible. The years of waiting have been trying at times for me and I want others to get their own opportunity to do their dream hunt as well. Thus, I will not ever throw my name back in the hat to keep me from taking that away from another.

More to come as I want to share my experience with you all.

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back