My boy in a magazine.

Moosie

Grand poopa
I know I got my Balls busted on here when I didn’t post pictures of my boy’s deer. I’m OK with that. I ended up posting one or two cuz Big Fin asked me too and he'sthe man !! The Moosie clan isn’t like several on here and don’t usually get good critters like his 209" buck he got so I thought it would be special for him if we could get him in a mag.

I sent out a couple pictures to magazines and didn’t hear back much. One magazine said they’d print the article and do a good job for me. We’ll call this Magazine “A”. I don't want this to get into another specific Magazine bashing post. I do like the guys from there.

Then, we got contacted back from Trophy Hunter magazine. After a bit of talking with Rusty the picture of my boy will be on the cover of the MAY issue. YIPPE ! With that he’ll get a new Browning rifle and a story and for us "NON FAME" guys, it’s just cool to be in a mag. O-Town has been saving for a long time to buy his own gun as by posts you guys have read and replied to in other sections know that. Now he gets one and can spend more on a Rifle scope for it. As much as some of you yahoos make fun of guys that submit stories and such it’s is (for us and especially my boy) to be on a cover of a magazine.

All this in itself is pretty cool to us. So I wrote back to magazine “A” and told them I was going a different direction because my boy was getting a cover and a “gift” and I left it like that because I didn’t want go into much detail.

Now, this is where I might be looking at this wrong. I got an Email back from one of the magazine owners letting me know how disappointed he was and that other magazines offered trinkets probably for a reason. And that their magazine had more exposure then others combined and …… Well, None of this I can really dispute. I’m sure they are. I never told which magazine we were switching to in hopes not to start anything, they will find out, or that he was getting a new rifle. But REALLY ? Say "Congrats to your son" and move on.........

It just rubbed me the wrong way I guess. Although the Email in general wasn't mean to me personally at all. I talked to O-Town in depth and although he likes magazine “A” and knows it’s a good magazine he equally likes the Trophy Hunter magazine and has been reading a lot of their past online issues.

At any rate, I did get bent a little from the response although it’s probably true and I shouldn’t be. I'm sure it’s a cut throat world in the hunters magazine world probably. I can see I might be a prick in a way for a give then take approach but was it ? Not that I should care. :eek:

I was just wondering your guys thoughts. I know several of you have been in these magazines and know the mag world better then me. Have you stepped on toes ? regrets ? I’ve only had my pictures in FAT RUNNERS WORLD magazine so I'm clueless !!!! ;)

At any rate, you need to pick up Trophy Hunter Magazine in May to see the issue and read his Story. Although thats 5 months out. And sorry (But not really) for not posting more pics online. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing your boy on the cover of Trophy Hunter. I pick it up at the new stand now and then and congrats to him for such an excellent buck. Congrats on him getting a rifle outta the deal, sorry to hear one of the "hunting mags" was kinda dix to ya when they found out you went a different direction.

Moosie - Fret not. They make their living pedaling stories of guys who get very little for writing these stories. For O-town to get a new rifle is the biggest expense they have in terms of cost of content they are printing.

If they had promised something to you and O-Town and some well known face showed up with a 400" bull or a huge ram, you would have been the guy getting the "Sorry, but......" phone call.

Don't worry about it. Take the rifle, get a bunch of copies for old times sake, and smile every time you guys shoot that rifle.

You are the last guy I would have thought might fret about such a minor detail.

We want names!!! :)

You have a commodity that makes magazines money. A 209" buck shot by a young man like O Town will sell magazines. If the magazine thinks they're the bomb and should get the story, then they should offer the best gain to you.

Like Fin said, those magazines make a killing off people's stories and should offer something decent in return. A Browning rifle is much better than an elk call and a fanny pack that some Big Names offer.

Great job O-town. You couldn't ask for it to happen any better, he gets his story into a mag and gets his gun. This might even save you some research time on what caliber to get.

What is he out, a chance at some binoculars? Im guessing he can milk you and IB for a few more years to find him the monsters.

Congrats little Moosie...I havent had a Trophy Hunter mag in quite a few years..may have to pick up the may isue

Sounds like someone is finally getting a good deal and there isn't any reason you shouldn't have the upper hand and do what you want to do. Get it while you can.

Grats to you for looking out for what was best suited for your son!
In the end, that is what it boils down to... Satisfaction and appreciation are what a submission is seeking... Satisfied with the enjoyable holdings of some great pics, an item of pride and a magazine presenting an agreeable appreciation for what you offer... After all, they are doing it to sell advertising and cover page (along with a nice rifle) sure meets that satisfaction...

Grats! Good on you as DAD. Grats to your son on what I anticipate will be a great piece of reflection as the years continue.

Congrats to O-town. I'm sure you'll receive all the copies you want, but my brother happens to print that mag if you need any extra copies. (don't tell anyone) ;)

Awesome deer your boy shot, I looked at the thread about it. As far as the magazine thing goes, I think that if your son is happy with his deer and would like it in one magazine over another, then that would be the decision I would go with. Added "gifts" for him from the magazine, will help him remember just how sweet the deer hunt was. I assume he is writing the story for the mag?

Just think if the deer would have been even bigger than it was and you emailed the different magazines. The response from each could have been immense and the magazines might have offered a variety of "gifts" each, then the thought of which one do you want the deer in comes into play.

Trophy Hunter, front cover pic with or w/o a prize is worthy in itself. I'm sure he has great pride in the oppurtunity to be in a magazine, I know as a teenager I would have been. Tell him congrats! :)

Mooise I would go for the free gear every time !!! thats just me, I like the word free and Im sure the boy will to !! One has to mow a lot of lawns to buy a $700.00 gun congrats!! well done dad, I hope I have your issue some day !!

I only wish I had this problem! :( "Which nationally published hunting mag should I have my son with huge buck pic on cover and story in?" :confused:

Poor, poor Moosie family! The best I can do it put my kids pics on a forum.

Nah man, I think this is an awesome problem to have. I know nothing about the way mags work but I would guess Big Fin was right with his comment.

Congrats to O-Town on an awesome buck and an opportunity of a lifetime!:D

Congrats to you guys and dont feel bad or second guess your self for a minute Big Fin is right they have lil invested in these stories and make a pretty good living telling other peoples stories. Nothing wrong with taking the best deal offered.

See what happens when "Non Fame" guys go looking for a little fame? You clearly shoulda hired a press agent the day after the deer stepped in front of your kid. :rolleyes: You are way overthinking this, do what O-town wants to do and worry not one lick who thinks what. For a kid, who gives a crap what anyone thinks....a glossy-azz cover shot and a rifle are going to be great! he's a kid afterall. My favorite mainstream magazine has lame printing quality and prints the articles in tiny azz font. Go big and glossy and take the bribe for a kid's sake. duh.

Time to move on already. You need to be looking for an even bigger buck for next year...

Congrats Oscar. That's pretty cool. I'll be looking for that magazine this spring!

Congrats to your boy on the deer and getting a cover story! There's nothing wrong with looking out for his best interest. That's your job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back